Question(s) Of A Home Theater Novice

I hate dedicating a whole thread to a single question, but maybe I can use it when more questions arise. Lord knows I never have a lack of dumb questions....

I don't have a wealth of experience setting up home audio systems, and know even less about sub setups. Could anyone tell me what the maximum recommended length of subwoofer cable is? Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Doesn't really matter IMO as long as it's a quality cable, well shielded, good connectors, etc. Unless you're going nuts and running it to your neighbors house or something 😉
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Assuming for LFE signal into your home theater system
    Using a general good quality RCA type subwoofer cable I would recommend 20' or less.

I have done larger rooms using and RG6 keeping my parallel spacing 12" from electrical to avoid RF hum. You will still need to convert the RG6 connections (F-connectors) to RCA to both the sub and the receiver LFE

Explain your application and your question?

Welcome to club polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The maximum length is whatever is needed to route the cable in a residential environment with unbalanced RCA or balanced XLR cable.

There are also options with some subwoofers to add a wireless transmitter.
  • hackman55
    hackman55 Posts: 17
    edited July 2021
    Appreciate the prompt responses. I may not have all that much experience in the subject, but am a long-time lurker here. This forum has always seemed to me to have a user base that is both knowledgeable and helpful.

I am getting a second subwoofer for the speaker system in my living room. The current sub sits next to the right front floorstander. My current plan is for the second sub to go on the opposite wall, which would put it just a couple feet to the right and a foot behind the mlp. That would have it around twelve feet from the current sub and front speakers, but would require a cable run of about thirty-two feet to account for it being routed along the walls(probably behind base boards).

The rg6 option is interesting. I wasn't aware you could use it but that would probably help, For my job, I've been running coax cable for years. Any certain type best for the application? I always have 75 ohm copper coated steel conducter Vextra and 75 ohm tri-shielded copper coated steel Perfect Flex rg6 if either of those would be suitable.
    Post edited by hackman55 on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Does your pre/pro have dual sub outputs or are you planning on splitting the single sub out?
  • hackman55
    Yamaha RX-V685 avr has two(non-discrete) sub outputs.

The new(to me) sub is actually a wireless model but the wireless adapter is missing. I've been assuming that using a cable would be easier than finding a replacement, considering the possible hassle and/or cost. Please correct me if this may not be the case.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Most cable makers will sell an RCA subwoofer cable up to 50 feet long. I have used them before without issues.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You could by a wireless transmitter receiver for the signal
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • hackman55
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Most cable makers will sell an RCA subwoofer cable up to 50 feet long. I have used them before without issues.

That could be the easiest solution. Thanks a ton everyone, this has been very helpful. Quick, too.

Since I am having good luck with my queries, guess I better take advantage; I've read about phase settings on subwoofers but not confident I fully grasp the topic. Is this one of the situations where I will have to consider it? And are there many pitfalls or tips on integrating this second sub into the system?
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Blue Jeans, Signal, and lower end AQ are good options for a quality longer run cable for a sub. I would avoid Monoprice and generic no name cables which are more likely to fail.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Topanime reported