Stranger Than Fiction

The way I see it, you can attend a concert at a large concert venue (mid-way back auditorium seats) in San Francisco, and I can be here in Jersey listening to a live broadcast of that same concert on a rig. I say that even though you are sitting there in sight of the performers, and listening to the actual vibrations coming off their instruments, while I'm listening to an electronic reproduction of that live event from a continent away, I would hear sounds before you. Especially if I semi-cheated and used headphones at my end. The speed of light is a mother.

I usually don't think about stuff like this on my own.

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    And You're not out a $100 a ticket, either.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Or standing next to stinky drunk dancing bear guy ... :s
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    sucks2beme wrote: »

That would be cheap by Chicago standards. Any half way decent concert here with decent unobstructed views is min. 150 bucks per ticket. Add in parking at 20-30 bucks, dinner and a few cocktails and your well over 500 bucks to go see something.

I can snag a couple plane tickets to the Bahamas for that.

October I went to a ball game, White Sox....bought the cheap seats. By the time I paid for parking, food and drinks, gas....200+ bucks went missing from the wallet. I could have stayed home and watched it on tv, spent the 2 bones on a nice bottle of vino and still had money left over for a new G-string and a pizza. Isn't that how your suppose to watch ballgames anyway ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    tonyb wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »

still had money left over for a new G-string and a pizza. Isn't that how your suppose to watch ballgames anyway ?
    wp5rjjnvh65b.gif

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah tony, I used to go to several football games at Lambeau every year (actually when I lived in Green Bay I went to every home game) but now its turned into a very expensive hassle and I don't feel like putting up with the boorish drunks who don't really know football anyway, so I now I've been putting that saved dough toward audio gear. Lol.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Where's Swauger when I need him? Somebody do the math. From SF to Jersey at the speed of light, versus the middle of the stage to the middle of the concert hall at the speed of sound. Which is fleeter?

You guys need to see a game in Filthy, where I understand they beat the snot out of you for even THINKING about rooting against their beloved Eagles. Neanderthals.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited December 2015
    Well George, let's make some assumptions. First off let's assume I'm sitting 50' from the nearest PA speaker in the Fillmore Theater in San Francisco. At the speed of sound, at sea level, it will take 0.0444 seconds to reach me. You are located in Jersey City, NJ (I don't know where you live but Jersey City sounds nice) which is 2,564.69 miles from San Francisco. The electrical signal that leaves the sound engineer's mixing board has to first travel the 2.0 miles to radio station KQED in San Francisco and then via radio broadcast the intervening distance to Jersey City (I know FM reception doesn't extend much beyond 35 or 40 miles, but let's pretend it can). So the total distance the signal has to travel is 2,566.69 miles at the speed of light. This would be accomplished in 0.01379 seconds, which is faster than I would hear it.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Thank you. I ran some numbers myself and came up with .0123655 for the speed of light trip, and .194444 for the speed of sound trip. I think we're right. Fascinating.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    You forgot the FCC mandated 6 second delay in a broadcast signal so sensors can block any objectionable content. Leave it to the government to trump physics. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    You forgot the FCC mandated 6 second delay in a broadcast signal so sensors can block any objectionable content. Leave it to the government to trump physics. :D

heh. He said "Trump"... heh-heh, heh-heh-heh.

Otherwise, I am with George on this one (perish the thought)!
    I am sure George was just sitting back in his La-z-boy recliner, quaffing some Fladgate port and reflecting on the recent centenary of the publication of Einstein's work on general relativity.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/einsteins-genius-changed-sciences-perception-gravity

101715_essay_opener_free.jpg

either that, or maybe he was... you know... puffin' the magic dragon.

https://youtu.be/JUOGxePBs50
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    lightman1 wrote: »

Hey you don't need to make fun of yourself Russ :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    lightman1 wrote: »

Hey you don't need to make fun of yourself Russ :wink:

Somebody has to be the dingus in the crowd.
  • Let's enlist Senator Franken's help in applying the physics.

Al-Franken-satellite.gif
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited June 2021
    Mr. Grand blowing peoples' minds for decades 🤯

p7gtl1rqh7eg.gif

Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Some good stuff here.