Magnepan 1.7i

Options
2»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I was enjoying them listening to Van Morrison's Inarticulate Speech of the Heart last night. Good stuff.

On regular box speakers I'm usually a listen to one song person then move on to the next these days, but I can listen to a whole album on the Magnepans because the sound is just enveloping and relaxing. No need to crank them up.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying them! Have you being listening to records as well as CD's and SACD's?
    If so, how do the records sound on the Maggies? Any differences?
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Just digital sources including SACD and DVD-A and high-rez digital files at this point. My turntable is in a smaller room where I'm pretty sure the Magnepans wouldn't work well.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Yup...there is magic in a good dipole speaker...

I SO want to try a pair but I just don't have the room to give them the proper backspacing.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The space requirements are real. Mine are about 5 feet from the front wall, six feet apart, and 12 feet from the center point to the listening position. Space behind the listening position is essential too. There's about 4 feet from the speakers to the side walls. In a 24 x 20 room I don't feel the need for a subwoofer or to step up to the 3.7i although I may do that next year just because they're better all around speakers. They cost a lot more though.

There's a relatively narrow sweet spot with these just like with SDAs.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    You can definitely make Maggies work in a small room. The side walls really aren't an issue......I've had good luck with treating the front walls to create a dead end/live end scenario. Just saying I wouldn't let the size of the room deter you from trying them...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Got the day off today so I moved the 1.7i into the 14 x 24 ft room with my main two channel system. They are on the long wall spaced about 5.5 feet apart and 7.5 feet to the ears. That’s to give them about 4 feet from the front wall. I set them up this time with the tweeter band on the inside. Because of the room acoustics they lose the wrap around effect. But, they sound great. Especially on orchestral music (Beethoven on Living Stereo SACD) which is the best I have heard in my two channel system for that type of music. No need for a subwoofer and better without one in my opinion since the music is so seamless on these. Very relaxing and non fatiguing speakers to enjoy. They’ll do rock music fine but I prefer other speakers with subwoofers added for that.

They really are hogs for power because of their lack of efficiency. A Parasound JC5 heats up quite a bit with these because I need to push the preamp volume up a few ticks for them to reach their best and bloom. On a JC2 preamp with 91dB speakers that would be at 12 o’clock on the volume control but with these it’s around 1 o’clock. A Parasound A21 or A 31 does just as well but that’s minimum amount of amp I would recommend with these for long term use.