• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    You did.
    Sal Palooza
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^ Have you had your evening bowel movement yet?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The Gov't has ...
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Has anyone here said or even alluded to EV’s being the end all revolutionary vehicle, I missed it if so.

Somebody must believe that. California and the Fed are both looking to eliminate the ICE engine by 2035.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    The consensus opinion expressed by those with a passing interest in the Lightning seems to have been that it will not be a good choice for everyone.

It still looks like a more competitive product in the EV market than something like an ugly Bolt. It does not look like a low budget vehicle. It will be equally interesting to see what Chevrolet do with the Silverado, and Stellantis/FCA with the Ram, but Ford has set the bar for pricing, and the feature list is quite compelling IMO.

My wife is covering 400 miles this evening with a 3500HD pulling over 15,000 lbs, including the horses, over the Grapevine on I-5, which is a steep incline that lasts for miles through the Tejon Pass. The altitude change for the climb is almost 1,400 ft southbound, and the altitude change for the descent is almost 1,500 ft. The Lightning is not designed for this type of load over that distance, with those inclines.
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Do you ever get tired of hearing that at one time US owned manufacturing and development and now China has taken over...
    We are in a shortage of Microchips, ....and cars
    https://www.businessinsider.com/why-us-doesnt-make-chips-semiconductor-shortage-2021-4#:~:text=But now, the country is,the decline in the US?

We can barely supply our own drugs
    https://daxueconsulting.com/pharmaceutical-industry-china/

Can't build a home without plywood and prices are skyhigh
    https://www.wbpionline.com/features/global-plywood-industry-update-6908934//image/global-plywood-industry-update-6908934-497879.html

And oh yeah...Solar Panels...green energy supplied by the US well a little but mostly
    All that has to ship by guzzling fossil fuels to top it off

24dh0rh5cxbx.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Here is your maintenance schedule for a Tesla. Where is the nightmare part?

Cabin air filter: The filter should be changed every two years or every three years if it’s a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter.
    Tire rotation: Tesla recommends rotating the tires and balancing the alignment every 10,000 to 12,000 miles.
    Brake fluid test: Tesla owners should have the brake fluid tested every two years and replaced as needed.
    Air conditioning service: Tesla recommends servicing the air conditioning every two to six years, depending on the model.
    Winter care: Drivers in cold-weather regions should clean and lubricate their car’s brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 miles.

That's regular maintenance on a new car....how about after the warranty is up ? I'm not going to go down the list, because the internet is full of horror stories but I will bring up one thing because it's important especially if you live in a wet and rainy area.

A tesla can be totaled by being flooded, and I'm not talking alot of water either. Water up to the bottom of the doors will total that puppy. Why ? Because that's where the battery packs are., which are not completely waterproofed. Aside from that, even some of the modules underneath is not waterproofed and the whole car basically has a module for every function. Water doesn't have to enter from underneath either, an open window in a rain storm can possibly do the same thing. Once the car is deemed salvage, Tesla will refuse to work on them or sell you parts. So let that be a lesson in buying a used or salvaged Tesla.

Which brings us full circle to what do we do with them after 8-10 years when those battery paks go south. They are basically junk then and the boneyard is going to need special training in dealing with high voltage cars. That life cycle is about half of conventional vehicles. Is that good for the environment ? I would imagine if your a Tesla owner, you may want a trade in value so you probably are going to opt to trade yours in around the 3-5 year mark. Who is going to buy that car used, knowing you only have a few years left before it's worth is next to nothing.
    Call that planned obsolesce ? Much like we complain our home appliances don't last as long as those older more well built models. Much like we complain about our audio gear not being made as well as they used to be. Now we will have cars, whose life cycle will be shortened so that you'll be forced to buy a new one, creating more junk in landfills, more batteries that nobody really knows what to do with in landfills.

Some call that "progress", I call it a "can of worms".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    ^^ you said maintenance in your original post go back and read it. So I posted the normal maintenance recommended.

Are you confusing normal maintenance with repairs?

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    He said maintenance, not scheduled maintenance. Repairs are maintenance.
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Maintenance is regular service that is required for your vehicle while auto repairs are performed when your vehicle is not functioning properly

Or

Maintenance is performed to help keep those systems operating properly. Repair comes into place when those systems cease to operate properly.

• tonyb
    edited May 2021
    Options

Maintenance is regular service that is required for your vehicle while auto repairs are performed when your vehicle is not functioning properly

If that were the case, what is the "required maintenance" for a 8 year old battery on the Tesla ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    ^^ I would say about the same as a radiator cap as far as maintenance goes. But when they do need repair the whole battery is not replaced, just the defective cells are.

Been my experience most things I have owned have lasted way beyond their warranty period, no matter what it is.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• tonyb
    Options
    So, your telling me a radiator cap, roughly 5 bucks, is the same as replacing a Tesla battery pak ? Put down the pipe bro...lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    You don’t replace a Tesla battery pack Bro, you repair it, Bro...lol.

You replace the defective cells only, Bro....lol.

You need to pick up the pipe , Bro....lol.

• invalid
    Options

He said after the warranty is up, you knew he didn't mean regular scheduled maintenance.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    ^^ I would say about the same as a radiator cap as far as maintenance goes. But when they do need repair the whole battery is not replaced, just the defective cells are.

Been my experience most things I have owned have lasted way beyond their warranty period, no matter what it is.

You don't know what you are talking about... just replace the defective cells in an 8 year old battery? Sorry but that is flat out wrong. You will end up replacing the entire package. Replacing individual cells will have you returning for repairs every month, paying a huge repair bill each time. When I ran a service department, we had a tech try that very method while I was on vacation. It cost my shop 10 grand to fix his error.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    It’s actually modules not cells, I am old school and used the wrong nomenclature.

And what type battery are you referring to that your guy replaced a cell.

I was a service manager from 1980 to 1993 in my previous life. You have heard me mention this fact many times before.

And it’s not me that designed the battery so modules can be replaced. So don’t tell me I don’t know what I am talking about tell Elon Musk.

• nooshinjohn
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The battery module is the entire package... and every cell within it. Elon Musk is the modern day Wizard of Oz... if it wasn't for our government propping is azz up, he would be a little man behind a curtain.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Only time is going to show the true cost of ownership
    At some point incentives and taxes will catch up to owners.
    5 years from now we will know better if this is a good idea.
    Some will go EV, some ICE. And someone is going to
    regret their decision.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    I’m not a big fan of the federal incentives for vehicles costing $50K or more. However, Tesla vehicles have not been eligible for a federal incentive since January 2020. They only received partial incentives throughout 2019.

So there is no Federal incentive to buy a Tesla today. The Ford Lightning will be eligible.

There may be state incentives for some, but California (rightly, IMO) applies income limits to those, and I personally do not qualify, so I’m not in a position to comment.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The thought that a new, better, more energy efficient technology would need a trailer full of batteries to match the range of a diesel engine just makes chuckle

Well why stop at just batteries. Might as well add four additional motors on the tandem axle model to provide assistance up slopes and regeneration down slopes. Now one can haul a Komatsu with the F-150 Lightening 🙂

No, no, no! Bad Idea! I'd explain but until you've run a twin engine scraper you'd never get it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    Options
    Incentives will still happen with infrastructure, such as charging stations being subsidize by higher energy costs that everyone pays.