Memorial Day, the day we honor those who gave all

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,799
95ibx55uh68u.jpg
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Thank you to all who have served.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ditto....the reason why your reading this in English.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Memorial Day is to honor and remember those who gave their lives in service of our country. For my family, as with others, we remember with reverence our past family members and all the others would gave that ultimate sacrifice...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options

I miss the Memorial Day parade & ceremony in our old town (Harvard, MA). To see the ever-dwindling number of (very) elderly vets in uniform salute, and hear Taps played on two bugles across the town cemetery as wreaths are placed never failed to move me to tears.

Some gave all.

zx5qug66c3rj.jpg
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    To my father and uncle who both served in WWII and to all of the vets who served in all of our wars.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Remembering those that gave all for our freedom.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Love and prayers to all of those souls. God Bless you.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options

Images like this... very emotional, powerful. R.I.P. Soldiers, Sailors, Marines... and Thank You!

jkx3wuo7sz48.jpg
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    May we never forget the fallen.

Here is just one of so many Congressional Medal of Honor Citations.

*REESE, JAMES W.
    Rank and organization. Private, U.S. Army, 26th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Place and date. At Mt. Vassillio, Sicily, 5 August 1943. Entered service at: Chester, Pa. Birth: Chester, Pa. G.O. No.: 85, 17 December 1943. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life. above and beyond the call of duty in action involving actual conflict with the enemy. When the enemy launched a counterattack which threatened the position of his company, Pvt. Reese, as the acting squad leader of a 60-mm. mortar squad, displaying superior leadership on his own initiative, maneuvered his squad forward to a favorable position, from which, by skillfully directing the fire of his weapon, he caused many casualties in the enemy ranks, and aided materially in repulsing the counterattack. When the enemy fire became so severe as to make his position untenable, he ordered the other members of his squad to withdraw to a safer position, but declined to seek safety for himself. So as to bring more effective fire upon the enemy, Pvt. Reese, without assistance, moved his mortar to a new position and attacked an enemy machinegun nest. He had only 3 rounds of ammunition but secured a direct hit with his last round, completely destroying the nest and killing the occupants. Ammunition being exhausted, he abandoned the mortar. seized a rifle and continued to advance, moving into an exposed position overlooking the enemy. Despite a heavy concentration of machinegun, mortar, and artillery fire, the heaviest experienced by his unit throughout the entire Sicilian campaign, he remained at this position and continued to inflict casualties upon the enemy until he was killed. His bravery, coupled with his gallant and unswerving determination to close with the enemy, regardless of consequences and obstacles which he faced, are a priceless inspiration to our armed forces.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,056
    Options
    The Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan has always been one that helped me to understand what the soldiers went through. I try to watch it every Memorial Day to get my mind right with what the day is all about.

Here’s a helpful little public service announcement for all of us:
    https://abc17news.com/news/national-world/2021/05/30/get-it-straight-the-difference-between-memorial-day-and-veterans-day/
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    The Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan has always been one that helped me to understand what the soldiers went through. I try to watch it every Memorial Day to get my mind right with what the day is all about.

Here’s a helpful little public service announcement for all of us:
    https://abc17news.com/news/national-world/2021/05/30/get-it-straight-the-difference-between-memorial-day-and-veterans-day/

Good PSA. It used to bother me how many people did not understand the difference.

Now days, I share a few of the MOH citations in the hopes that some will appreciate what some have done.

I feel that when you say thier names and read thier Citation you are honoring thier memory and ensure they are not forgotten.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,601
    Options
    My utmost respect and appreciation for those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of our country. May they Rest In Peace.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Special thanks to all those who served .................

A special thanks to Robert Frantz a great young man I had the pleasure of working with and mentoring before he enlisted to better his life..

You will never be forgotten my friend......

a teen with a abusive past.....no real family, on his own very early in life...we had him in a spare room for 6 months so he save a little....was there with him when e signed up...the "greatest day in my life" planned to really turn his life for the positive...wanted to go into law enforcement...enlisted to serve his country..give his daughter the life he didnt have..........now excuse me while I wipe the tears from my keyboard....

still and always will shed tears for this wonderful solider

San Antonio soldier killed in Iraq grenade attack

Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO — From Operation Iraqi Freedom, a Central Texas soldier told of his nights spent in the charred remains of one of Saddam Husseins palaces and days spent guarding the Central Bank of Baghdad.

To Robert L. Frantzs family, it appeared the 19-year-old high school dropout with a 2-year-old daughter and plans to marry had matured quickly since joining the Army and then going overseas for the war in Iraq.

He wanted his daughter to be proud of him, said his stepfather, Vincent Smith, a Lackland Air Force Base firefighter. He grew into a man strictly overnight, by joining the Army. He was a little scared, but excited. He knew he was going to do good things.

But Frantz died June 17 as a result of a grenade attack the previous night, according to Phil Reidinger, a spokesman for Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Frantz, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry, was hit with shrapnel while he was standing guard duty. An unknown assailant threw the grenade over a wall in the Iraqi capital.

For the San Antonio native who joined the Army 10 months ago and his family,this was supposed to be a happy week on the heels of the Spurs NBA championship, said Frantzs mother, Kim Smith.

Instead, the family spent the day coping with the death of Frantz, an Army private first class.

We thought the war was over, his mother told the San Antonio Express-News. I told him, Be careful. Watch your back. But I had no thoughts that there would be this.

Frantz was about 4 when his father died. His family moved a short time later from Michigan to San Antonio, where he attended elementary and middle school. He attended Marshall High School, then withdrew and earned a General Educational Development diploma.

Later while waiting tables at an International House of Pancakes, Frantz met the woman he would eventually makes plans with to marry, Ana Perez.

His daughter, Shannon, 2, is in the custody of her mother, who lives in San Antonio and has remained close to Frantzs family.

Frantz also had a 22-year-old sister, Heather Frantz, and a stepsister, stepbrother and a 3-year-old brother, who is too young to understand the tragedy.
    Hes been telling us, Dont be sad, Robbys coming home, Vincent Smith said.

Died:
    June 17, 2003
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I was lax in posting my scout flagging pictures this year. 1c6r2ywtuadn.jpg
    Olq3bxjieny40.jpg
    p7w6wgue381f.jpg

r4x58ludm05f.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month that is veterans Day the end of world war I.

That is they way it was taught to us all through school, who knows how they teach it now. Many seem to leave school with no appreciation of the holidays both memorial day or veterans day.

May God rest The souls of all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice so I could be free to state my thoughts and opinions on many platforms.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    Options
    Some gave a little somegave all.
    The 5 Sullivan brothers in WWII all 5 aboard the USS Juneau in WWII.
    It was torpedoed and sank, killing 3 brothers outright.

2 brothers made it to a life boat.

The 4th brother died the next day from injuries.

After 4 days the 5th brother slipped out of the lifeboat and disappeared.
    Not hard to imagine why.

The scene from the movie "The Fighting Sullivan's" when Ward Bond informs the assembled family that he has bad news and they ask "Which one ?" and he replies:
    "All 5"........
    😢

That scene starts at about the 3:00 mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGX3KjIv6HE
    Sal Palooza
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,501
    Options
    Very good post, I just finished reading Joseph Wheelan's book Midnight in the Pacific which is about the Guadalcanal campaign and the Sullivan brothers are mentioned. As a result of this tragic event the Navy changed its policy and siblings were not posted to the same ship again

q4hj8950ccva.png