Backer Box help for in wall speakers

Options
I apologize if this is not the proper section to post this. I feel really dumb but will ask. I have a new construction house that's being built. I will have 4 in wall speakers and 4 ceiling speakers for surround and atmos. Does anyone on here build backer boxes on the side? Or what size box I'd need to have someone make? I would obviously pay for material and labor if anyone does this on the side. I've emailed several companies including Polk, mostly with no response. I have 4 Polk RT 65 in wall speakers. 4 Polk RT 70 ceiling speakers. If anyone does this I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you all, this is a thorn in my side right now.

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    For in-walls/in-ceiling speakers, it's usually the stud/joist cavity that operates as the enclosure. Most of them, or at least all the ones from Polk, are typically designed to work best in that manner unless the instructions say otherwise.

But the only time I've made enclosures in the wall was when the tops of the wall board were open below the cap plate so the wall cavity wasn't closed off from the rest of the room and actually vented into the drop ceiling. So we ended up cutting a piece of 2x4 to sit in the wall a few inches above the hole we cut for the in-wall and toe-nailed it in place through the drywall. Then we just patched the nail hole, after counter-sinking it, with a square of fiberglass mesh tape stuffed in the hole and plugged with drywall compound.

But if you want an enclosure like a typical speaker cabinet, unless the wall is open to another space like an internal wall shared with an unfinished garage, an enclosure isn't really necessary.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • randbrus84
    randbrus84 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I guess it sounds like I don't need one.