Options
2»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Woh, cool Steve! Good heads up there.

Regarding the gain switch, yes, I go low when I can, and use high if I feel like I'm having to turn the volume knob up too high.

In the case of using the Schiit outputs to the powered speakers, I still use low gain here, but set the volume knob on the speakers to around the 3 o'clock position, and handle the volume with the Schiit.

My "criteria" is more just an arbitrary thing so far. If I have to turn the volume knob up to 2 or 3 o'clock, I'll go to min, and flip to the high gain position, and readjust.

Don't forget your computer volume. Listen for distortion.

I think initially I tried to max everything out except one component's volume control. If I remember correctly, that resulted in some distortion. Now I only set the non-control components to about 85 to 90% max volume.

I'll be curious to hear what you find works best.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Regarding the gain switch, yes, I go low when I can, and use high if I feel like I'm having to turn the volume knob up too high.

In the case of using the Schiit outputs to the powered speakers, I still use low gain here, but set the volume knob on the speakers to around the 3 o'clock position, and handle the volume with the Schiit.

My "criteria" is more just an arbitrary thing so far. If I have to turn the volume knob up to 2 or 3 o'clock, I'll go to min, and flip to the high gain position, and readjust.

Well I just tried both settings and with low gain to the headphones I have to turn the Schiit up to about 3 o'clock to get a nice rocking out volume with 2 o'clock being not quite loud enough to really rock. With the hi gain on I can get a nice rocking volume with the Schiit at between 11 and 12 o'clock. To the speakers with the even the hi gain I have to turn the speakers up nearly all the way to rock out.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • msg
    Options
    That's about what my setups are like for very loud as well.

Where's your computer volume set?

Which app do you use for the music? That may introduce a 4th volume control if it doesn't tie in directly to the computer's.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    I use JRiver and I have both that and computer at 100%
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • msg
    Options
    Are your headphones high impedance?

I have a mixture of headphones. Most have 32Ω impedance and one or two pair are 250Ω. I'll have to double check to see whether there's a difference in the required volume at the headphone amp.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Are your headphones high impedance?

I have a mixture of headphones. Most have 32Ω impedance and one or two pair are 250Ω. I'll have to double check to see whether there's a difference in the required volume at the headphone amp.

Actually they are 64 so I guess that's not considered high. I've got another pair on the way that are 30 ohm.

• msg
    Options
    I never really looked closely at any of this before, which goes to show how little I know about headphones, but impedance and sensitivity are two different specs.

I was just reading this. Helpful, though still not demystified:
    https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    I had just read that before my last response :^ )
  • dragon1952
    Options
    I decided to go with the matching silver Modi 3+ to pair with the Magni. Supposedly a little better maybe than my Topping D10....we'll see....but now they will match anyway and I can stack them if I want.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I recently ordered the Schiit Jotunheim 2 HP amp with the AK4490 DAC module. I haven't unboxed it yet.

Interested in your impressions. I'm looking for a preamp with SE & balanced outs. Not much available in that price range. I understand this is intended as a HP amp first. Wondering if the preamp outs are worthy or a compromised afterthought.

@DaveHo I'm testing the Jot 2's pre-outs right now and it sounds great. Both the XLR and RCA pre-outs are active simultaneously so I have the XLRs running to my powered monitors and the RCAs going to a powered sub. Perfect!

Definitely sounds higher quality vs the pre-outs on the Asgard 2 that I had. Looks like they really stepped it up for the Jot 2. I haven't extensively tested the headphone output yet, but this might be the best sounding Schiit product I've heard. I mean it still sounds like Schiit, but it sounds like good Schiit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I was close to ordering one the other week. But when I saw the estimated shipping time, I backed off.
  • msg
    Options
    Interested in your feedback on the Schiit Jot2, too, Drew. I love that these units are modular and truly upgradeable.

Curious what wnet into your decision to go with the AK4490 DAC and not the multibit. Is it because you're using an off board DAC?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited June 2021
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I was close to ordering one the other week. But when I saw the estimated shipping time, I backed off.

I'm almost done having my fun with this one, I would sell it to you for a good price. It's black. I'll also have a very lightly used pair of Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX headphones available for sale soon. @scubalab
    Interested in your feedback on the Schiit Jot2, too, Drew. I love that these units are modular and truly upgradeable.

Curious what wnet into your decision to go with the AK4490 DAC and not the multibit. Is it because you're using an off board DAC?

It's a good product, with above average flexibility and sound quality. I've only really been listening to it via USB through the built-in 4490 DAC. I went for the 4490 because it was $100 less expensive and has better measured performance versus the multibit.