Any chance of fixing this speaker?

Options
johnx
johnx Posts: 8
edited May 2021 in Speakers
I know nothing about speaker repair but I believe this speaker was damaged by a drop by a mover. The two speakers below the tweeter don’t work. I always loved these speakers and am interested in fixing if it is possible. If it is not cost effective maybe someone has a recommendation for a replacement pair. Not even sure what model they are, since I bought them used. Wait, I just figured out from the label they are RT55i. Would the new Elac Uni Fi UB52 be better? xbnayj0zgot5.jpeg
mnf1l4ac03gg.jpeg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    Do you have a DMM or a VOM? I don't think anyone can answer until you remove screws and do some exploration.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Call Polk CS. They did have replacement tweeters. They are a bear to change fyi. They snap in and out.
  • johnx
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Do you have a DMM or a VOM? I don't think anyone can answer until you remove screws and do some exploration.

I did remove screws and pried the two larger speakers off and pulled out the batting to see if there were any loose wired but noticed nothing loose. I dont know what a VOM or DMM is but I’ll do it again and take a picture. Thanks. Is it worth trying to fix?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    VOM= Volt ohm meter
    DMM= Digital multimeter
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    johnx wrote: »

I did remove screws and pried the two larger speakers off and pulled out the batting to see if there were any loose wired but noticed nothing loose. I dont know what a VOM or DMM is but I’ll do it again and take a picture. Thanks. Is it worth trying to fix?

Make sure you also photograph the crossover components. One thing that seems to happen a lot during rough handling incidents is the large inductor can get dislodged/damaged.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options
    Are the main drivers frozen? If you spread your fingers and push gently on the blue part of the drivers (not the center dome) they should move freely back and forth. If they seem stuck, they will not work.

The tweeter (top silver dome) frequently survives falls better. An easy way to test that easily is to use something like an empty kitchen roll and place it over the tweeter (without touching it) to see if it emits sound by placing your ear on the other end of the empty roll. The sound is usually faint (not as loud as the main drivers) but obvious enough. Make sure the jumper bars on the rear, connecting the top and bottom speaker terminals, are firmly in place and tightened down.

You could find those drivers on eBay, but YMMV — caveat emptor. RT55’s and RT55i are well worth saving. Some of the pins are broken on the grille. Not a huge deal if they stay on and don’t rattle — or you could just use the speakers without the grilles.
    Alea jacta est!
  • johnx
    Options
    johnx wrote: »

Make sure you also photograph the crossover components. One thing that seems to happen a lot during rough handling incidents is the large inductor can get dislodged/damaged.

Best photo I can take of the guts. Nothing seems to be loose. The tweeter works fine. The two mid ranges just aren’t working. They are supple and not frozen. kj465ezzhhbm.jpeg
    tcj1wm5sej09.jpeg
    bqiwvbbqztaa.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Are the jumpers in place on the binding posts?
  • johnx
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If you are referring to the copper wire running from the colored wires into the speaker neck between the diaphragm and the magnet, they do seem to be. They’re not loose and hanging out, though I was careful with them. u4553ajva7gf.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    No on the back of the speaker, they're binding posts for both tweeter and woofers. There should be a brass plate the goes between them so one set of cables can be used.
    Post a picture of the binding posts if you're uncertain
  • johnx
    edited May 2021
    Options
    [
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    No on the back of the speaker, they're binding posts for both tweeter and woofers. There should be a brass plate the goes between them so one set of cables can be used.
    Post a picture of the binding posts if you're uncertain

Had the bottom ground one all the way open. I thought it was stuck but it was stuck open. So I connected the wires to the bottom post and damn the mid ranges work! But for some reason now the tweeter doesn’t. Hope I didn’t pull it loose with the front open. Forgot to put the batting in anyway so back open it is!

g2gqw5lysxow.jpeg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    So did you take out that left jumper plate just for the photo or was it not in there? You need them on both sides.

Alternatively, you can put a short length of speaker cable in instead of those plates. Black to Black, Red to Red.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Yep need to install a wire from the bottom post to the top
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • johnx
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Jesus God in Heaven. All this trouble simply because I dropped one of those gold connections somewhere in that move. I never knew what those double connections were for. And the one that is working right did have both. Thank you !!! Thank you!!! It sounds great now!!!! You guys saved me $1200 on new speakers!!!

3lbi0c3hai91.jpeg

Post edited by johnx on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I wouldn't put raw cable there. Use a piece with insulation around it. Try to keep it twisted closely at the ends.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options
    Some people like to replace the stock jumpers with speaker wire anyway, but maybe something a bit tidier that your temporary fix?

Something like this, using spades, or whatever.

nyrg3r9f9nkr.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • johnx
    Options
    Good idea. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
  • johnx
    Options
    One final question. I bought four spade on both end connectors. I have the wire from the receiver run through the bottom connector on each speaker and then I tightened it loosely and then ran the spade around it and tightened it the rest of the way. Seems to work fine; I feel like it is getting a better bass. Is that the proper way to hook up spade connectors with the wire from the receiver? Or is one end supposed to be a banana connector run through the middle of the post?

j8abmsv9783f.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    If it worries you get a set of bananas for the speaker wire from the amp/receiver.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Use banana plugs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I would purchase some quality speaker wire with banana ends. Used will save you some dough.
  • JustM1ke
    JustM1ke Posts: 6
    Options
    I bought myself a pair of worn-out Polk RT55i's almost a year ago. The Ebay seller didn't really test the speakers and one of the woofers was blown. They gave me a partial refund, enough to get a used replacement, If you wondering the replacement had the same ohms as the OG woofer. Polk doesn't make the woofers anymore sadly, and I think they don't make the tweeters anymore too.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The tweeters did have a replacement(from Polk) but the woofers are a used item only. I have it on good authority that the RT55 and RT55i woofers are the same and can be interchanged, if you do not mind two different colors.