Frisson - The Chills You Get When Listening To Music

Options
CGTIII
CGTIII Posts: 1,027
Frisson, French for “shiver”, is a sensation some people get in response to emotional stimulus (as opposed to shivering in response to actual cold). The experience typically lasts around five seconds and usually feels like it is radiating out from the lower back and/or base of the skull. Most people report feeling a tingly wave of stimulation
on their scalp, feelings of pleasure, and the experience of goosebumps while otherwise comfortable and unchilled. Some studies have found that when people experience frisson, their bodies release endogenous opioid peptides similar to those released during other pleasurable activities.

Although frisson can happen in response to a variety of stimulus, the most common kind of frisson is known as musical frisson and occurs in reaction to the auditory stimulation of a piece of music that evokes an emotional response in the listener, is loud, or contains unexpected or non-traditional musical arrangement. It should be noted that the
frisson experience is a physical experience and while the song might have emotional impact on the listener, the frisson itself is the feeling of being chilled, the tingles, and the goosebumps.

As such it’s not uncommon for people to have frisson responses to things like the national anthem of their country, music that accompanies traditional funerary rites in their culture (such as bagpiping), or other songs with which they have a strong emotional
connection.
Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
​Thompson Adventures, Inc.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I love it when I experience frisson. I've noticed there are certain musical parts of songs that always trigger it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Coincidentally, there is thread on this subject on the 'What's Best Forum'.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/tell-us-about-your-goosebump-tracks.32529/#post-720452
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Waiting for the Sun always gives it to me since I was a kid.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Experienced it today. Led Zeppelin.. No Quarter.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    B)

OOOhh yeah, that's hitting that spot with War Pigs, or Tool B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    Experienced it several times when I was in a band. On occasion it would happen when every player was in the pocket and the crowd was feeding off of it. Better than a drug or alcohol IMO.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Works for me as well...as does Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    0yycc7y6t545.jpg

Audio Magazine, April 1974.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Edit, wrong thread.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Visited Houston because I had to do some work related education. Visited a store, experienced frisson with the MBL 101e today.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I'm experiencing Frisson this very minute on some 2.3 tl's this very moment, got the chills enjoying every moment. Until the missus tells me to turn it down.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Visited Houston because I had to do some work related education. Visited a store, experienced frisson with the MBL 101e today.
    One of the worst speakers I've heard....multiple times.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Guess that just shows to go ya it’s not the speakers but the music that drives the Friss😃🎶🎵🎼

But having great speakers sure doesn’t hurt! 😉
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I believe it is very room dependent. The extremes (double 101e) downstairs was underwhelming. The 101e mk2 was actually pretty good... to a point. I felt at lower volumes it sounded smooth and pleasant, but above 75-80db, I didn’t like it as much.

The frisson happened when tidal cycled to a song I hadn’t heard in a while just as I was about to leave and stand up. I sat back down and chills happened. I immediately tried to listen closer to see why it happened, as I felt the imaging to be slightly nebulous and tall for my tastes... I then tried to take a snapshot of the audio image so I could compare to what I have at home.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I often get them when listening to music and watching people dance.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,027
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I often get them when listening to music and watching people dance.

x86rk1lsliut.gif

"She danced like nobody was watching. But people were watching and she looked like bees were attacking her."

Happy Memorial Weekend All! :-)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    The 11:15-11:25 mark in this video. Not the best recording, but not bad. The whole video is worth watching, but the best part is from 10:30 on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqz9dJaKeDc