Dark Waters

Anyone else see this? quite the movie to get you thinking about Corporate American Companies..

I wonder what effect this movie had on DuPont, and 3M stocks..

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    There's another film called The devil we know. I've seen neither but both look good.
    Did you stream this or dvd?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited February 2021
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    3m doesn't even make the chemicals in question.
  • They are the company that first developed and sold PFOS and PFOA and apparently they knew about its health hazards. In the movie I kinda remember that maybe they unloaded the patent onto DuPont or something like that, who also knew about its hazards or found out and continued to rake in Billions in profits, not caring about the public safety and welfare.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • invalid
    Why do we have an EPA, they don't seem to do their job, or there isn't enough evidence to say one way or another.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    EPA & FDA are all but a joke anymore.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    They are controlled by large corporations just like every other aspect of our government.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    EPA & FDA are all but a joke anymore.

Let's not leave OSHA off that list...
  • Agree with above about our incompetent corrupt agencies. Correction to what I said previously - 3M made and sold PFOA to DuPont for 4 decades and apparently they phased out all production about 10 years before the movie's timeset was and I think maybe they unloaded all that they had produced to DuPont at that time. Clearly they knew and there is lots of evidence that they knew.

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/31/3m-pfas-minnesota-pfoa-pfos/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    So the chances of all of us testing positive for C8 are great, how in the world are they able to sell their brand??

https://media.tenor.com/images/3d6edd838ec049ff22778002eaf11981/tenor.gif240m10wtx5hs.gif
  • invalid
    The truth probably lies somewhere in-between what the movie portrays and what the company says, they are both probably at the extremes.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Another good movie about how corporations go to any lengths to hide toxic dumping and drag out litigation is "A Civil Action" with John Travolta and Robert Duvall. Travolta did some good acting in it.

Yeah, it's true the Teflon manufacturing residues are everywhere in water and food because they never go away once in the environment. I think Teflon pans had warnings on them for decades to not use them with pet birds nearby or the fumes would kill them. That probably should have been an indicator something was up with the materials even in small doses. Scotchguard fabric protector was another interesting product that was taken off the market and replaced with something not quite the same.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Anyone else see this? quite the movie to get you thinking about Corporate American Companies..

I wonder what effect this movie had on DuPont, and 3M stocks..

I hear ya man, but if your just starting to get "thinking about" corporate America, your behind the times and need to catch up. Lots of sinners in that group that are household names but as the story always goes...money talks, and they have lots to pass around. Pass around to government agencies, politicians, or whoever to look the other way or create laws that benefit them.

That's just one documentary , throw in some others and the only conclusion you can come to is that everything, most everything anyway, is corrupt , has been corrupted, for the almighty buck. Look at the food industry, agriculture, media, trade, finance, wall street, education, even religion....I mean it never ends the level of corruption in everything. The older you get, the more it bothers you. Some fight it their whole lives, some take the attitude if you can't beat them, join them. Some fall in-between, take what benefits them personally, while chastising others in other industries.

I think, and just my opinion, that this is more telling of how far we have fallen morally and ethically as humans.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable