I'm confused about sub connections to Polk Audio PA-D1000.1 amp.

Finally got enough free time to install this new amp and I'm VERY happy so far! But wondering if I'm getting the full potential out of the amp.

The wiring instructions of this amp in the manual are about the shortest diagrams I've ever seen for any amp! It shows how to connect one 1-ohm sub alone, then next to that it shows how to run a pair of 1-ohm subs. But that's ALL. Nothing explained about wiring a pair of DVC subs, especially mine, which has dual 4-ohm voice coils.

Alpine Type-S subs come with this really cool bridging wire you run from terminals to terminals on the sub for bridging or running the voice coils in parallel. Very nice I must say! Well, going by the instructions that came with the sub, I ran the bridging jumper wire from one negative to the other negative and from one positive to the other positive, then put the sub in the box. So far so good.

I then went to figure out which terminals on the amp to hook the single speaker wires to. The manual only shows how to run one sub or two subs, then says the amp switches to parallel INSIDE the amp.

SO... my question finally (I like to explain as much as I can so people might better understand my questions); was I supposed to run EACH voice coil from the sub to the left and right speaker terminals on this amp? I didn't do it that way because of the jumper wires. I figured if I hooked it up that way, I'd lose a bit of output from the amp.

Yes, the sub is slamming hard and sounds awesome! But was I supposed to wire each voice coil from the sub to the two pairs of amp outputs? It would sure be nice if Polk Audio would provide more clear instructions in their manuals instead of 2 little pictures not even related to my particular sub.
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X704 head unit, McLaren MDSP-15 sound processor, Eclipse PA5422 4-ch to full range, Cadence Q75T tweeters in parallel with Pioneer TS-A1686R up front, Image Dynamics XS28 tweeters in parallel with Pioneer TS-A6990F in back, Polk Audio PA-D1000.1 driving a single Alpine S-W10D4 sub in Belva box, all in 2006 Saturn Ion.

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    A parallel connection can happen either at the subwoofer (jumper wire connecting two sets of binding posts together) or at the amplifier (two runs of speaker wires). Polk puts two sets of binding posts on the amplifier because they don't know if the end customer has two separate subwoofers in different locations that they want connected in parallel or one dual voice coil single subwoofer.
  • Jammin06Ion
    Jammin06Ion Posts: 16
    So I'm guessing I did it correctly. Based on their picture in the manual that shows a single 1-ohm sub wired to the two left terminals, then two 2-ohm subs wired to all four terminals, I'm assuming that the single sub is wired correctly. The manual doesn't specify anything about DVC sub connections.
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X704 head unit, McLaren MDSP-15 sound processor, Eclipse PA5422 4-ch to full range, Cadence Q75T tweeters in parallel with Pioneer TS-A1686R up front, Image Dynamics XS28 tweeters in parallel with Pioneer TS-A6990F in back, Polk Audio PA-D1000.1 driving a single Alpine S-W10D4 sub in Belva box, all in 2006 Saturn Ion.
  • Jammin06Ion
    I know THIS is done right! Alpine has many different variations of how to use the jumpers, and this is the correct way for my application.7jvgrdioppz3.jpg
  • Jammin06Ion
    For the price you pay for these amps, you would THINK they would include better wiring instructions! LOL!

pwapjyi8nf47.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited May 2021
    I don't know much about car audio, but that is a good question about DVC connections. I, too, would want to see more documentation with some courtesy explanation. The manuals for other equipment I have go into some detail with background and best practices.

Is that little diagram all you received with the amp? Does the manual attached here apply to your amp? I did a quick search and found this.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I know THIS is done right! Alpine has many different variations of how to use the jumpers, and this is the correct way for my application.7jvgrdioppz3.jpg

If you want a 1 ohm load yes, that's correct. Shouldn't matter whether you use this configuration and a single strand of 6 gauge primary wire or two pairs of 8 gauge (you might get away with 10).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jammin06Ion
    6 gauge wire??? I went with 8 gauge to the sub and it was too thick! I had to shave it down a bit to about 10 gauge. But no, I don't want a 1-ohm load, I'm looking for 2 ohms since this sub has dual 4-ohm voice coils. It thumps HARD right now, so it must be hooked up right by running it to one pair of terminals on the amp. I was thinking about running each voice coil to each pair of speaker outputs on the amp but not sure if I would lose any power.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    My bad. They make a dual 2 ohm VC and a dual 4 ohm VC version. I was looking at the specs for the 2 ohm version. Yes 8 gauge should be ideal. If you are running a single 2 ohm sub, wire it like the instructions show for a single 1 ohm sub.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I am looking to get this same amp (PAD1000.1) along with two 10" subs. In reviewing how Crutchfield suggest to wire these, I would get two DVC 2-ohm subs for a 2-ohm load (see screenshot of their suggested wiring). As others show confusion on this same subject, I too am not sure if I can take advantage of the amp having two speaker outputs, thus simplifying the wiring. See my "alternate" wiring idea, is this correct for this amp?
    weby5zdmm6ir.jpg
    inqclro6krdj.jpg

• They are electrically the same, the common connection can happen either at the amplifier (lower diagram) or at one of the woofers (upper diagram). Think of a wall outlet that has two sockets, you can plug two devices into each socket. Or, you could plug an extension cord into one socket and plug the devices into the extension cord. Use the connection that takes the least amount of speaker wire. If the amp is between the two woofers then use the lower connection. If the woofer is closer to one woofer than the other then make that woofer where the connection is made (upper woofer).
  • Good, thank you for the confirmation. I later found a good video on the Rockville website confirming this as well. In my instance, the lower scenario is favorable as the sub box I plan to use has separate wire terminals for each sub, making the wiring simpler and an overall tidier installation.