WTB: Parasound HCA-1500a

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited February 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Is anyone interested in selling one? Or what is a good price for one?

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2005
    Last one on eBay sold for $770 which seems a bit high. $500 to $600 I have seen on Audiogon. There is one there if no one here offers.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1112934914

But the guy has 1 neg. feedback.

There is also a Halo A23 from a vendor (Toy's from the Attic).

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1113336611

That Halo amp has won many awards.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited February 2005
    I agree, $700 is high. I wouldn't pay over $550 for a MINT HCA-1500.

The Halo series is very nice and more robust than the power figures may lead you to believe. The A23 would be an excellent alternative....less power overall, but it's still a solid performer.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Ya that is what I'm looking at good price? List is $995 new small dent, worth $525 shipped?

I also was thinking about the HCA-3500 but I like the "A" version because of my wife likes it simple one button on / off.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    I looked at the Halo A23 vs the HCA-1500a but the noise seem better on the A23 but the power seems better on the HCA-1500a.

Doro,

Your input since you own a Parasound proto type?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    New from an Authorized dealer? Where's the dent? If it's not on the faceplate, and authorized....definetly. I say faceplate because at some point you may have to unload it, who knows why, but you'd be suprised how many people want 9/10 gear.

The power IS better on the HCA-1500, the HALO steps up the component level in contrast to the power level.

Aesthetically they are night and day.

I've owned a couple 1500's, and demo'd everything 2CH wise from that company. The HCA-3500 is a BEAST, and if you pick one of those up, you're pretty much done in the amplification category. The only thing a monster like that needs is some tubes from a nice pre-amp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2005
    My 3500 is great, but it does add two more power switches to my setup. If you ever get the opportunity to audtion the A23 vs. the 1500 I would be interested to hear how the new halo line compares. It would probably need to be double blind, I know i wouldn't trust my own ears with that aluminum fascia and blue led glow ;) (not that JC1's are in my financial horizon anytime soon anyways.. )
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    As for as the HCA-3500 it's off my list, unless there's a way they can be switched on auto.

Is there a device that those this looks for a load on a plug turns on other plugs? It's the only way something like that could live in my house. Other then that it's Bridged Mono mode for newer smaller amps.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by disneyjoe7
    As for as the HCA-3500 it's off my list, unless there's a way they can be switched on auto.

Is there a device that those this looks for a load on a plug turns on other plugs? It's the only way something like that could live in my house. Other then that it's Bridged Mono mode for newer smaller amps.

If you're handy at all, wire up one (or more) 12VDC relay thats rated at 120VAC 20A. That would do the trick. A purist would likely hate the relay in line with the power. Relays can be a bit noisy at times.

If not, there are "power strips" out there that will switch via 12VDC. Couldnt name any off the top of my head, but I looked into it for switching my entire rack on/off through the receiver.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • pjdami
    edited February 2005
    Couldnt name any off the top of my head

Panamax and Monster make powercenters that have delayed turn on outlets for stuff like amps. I'm sure there are others.

Paul
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Panamax and Monster make powercenters that have delayed turn on outlets for stuff like amps. I'm sure there are others.

Paul

Those these work off the load sense of another outlet, or does these work off the 12vac input?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• pjdami
    edited February 2005
    Depends Joe. You just need to research up on them. Some use 12V "triggers" from your preamp or receiver to turn on your amp. Or you can plug the amp into the "switched" outlet with the time delay. Then when you turn on the powercenter it turns on the amp a few seconds later. Lots of options here with these gears. They can pretty much do whatever you want as long as that particular model supports it.

Take a look at your budget and what's out there and then post your thoughts and we can help out more.
  • pjdami
    edited February 2005
    Joe,

See pages 4 and 5 for examples from Panamax.

http://www.panamax.com/pdf/INS5100B.pdf
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Joe,

See pages 4 and 5 for examples from Panamax.

http://www.panamax.com/pdf/INS5100B.pdf

Thanks,

Got it :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by dorokusai

I've owned a couple 1500's, and demo'd everything 2CH wise from that company. The HCA-3500 is a BEAST, and if you pick one of those up, you're pretty much done in the amplification category. The only thing a monster like that needs is some tubes from a nice pre-amp.

Doro,

I thinking about bridge mono'ing some 1500's vs. the 3500 have you ever compared these together?

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    AA is running the A23(DEMOS) out @ $499 with free shipping....that's a very nice deal. I'd grab two and bridge your **** off. Full factory warranty applies.

EDIT: The link shows the price without the instant savings coupon applied, WN215178. This gets adjusted @ checkout.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=DMPARHA23&loc=5

I have not listened to a pair of bridged, HCA-1500 vs an HCA-3500. I wouldn't expect a tremendous difference sonically, but would give the edge to the HCA-1500's.

• pjdami
    edited February 2005
    I'm ALL over it. Another "impulse" purchase. That is a killer deal w/ warranty for a nice amp. Thanks Doro.

Well, well, just got the email w/ coupon code from AA. Must be a time delay down here to the swamps of Louisiana!

Paul
  • scornful
    edited February 2005
    How did you guys get on the email list? I've drueled over the Parasounds but they a a little bit out of my price range if new. A coupon might make my wallet a little happier

Thx
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    Paul - I get far more enjoyment out of money being spent on quality product, and that is a fine choice. Let me know how you like it. Emlyn(Polkie) owns an A23 currently, perhaps he will drop by and offer some comments. I will guess that he's very happy beings he later purchased an A51 :) I'm pretty sure he picked an A51 up....

Scornful - It's from a previous order w/ AA, you get automatically signed up. Here is the link for non-orders...they have excellent deals from time to time, and this is one of them.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/newsletter.asp
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Mark,

I got one A23, I tried to get 2 but only 1 left ;) Not quick enough :(

Thank you

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• scornful
    edited February 2005
    Thanks Doro
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    PJ - It's that swamp air man, don't you know it affects the internet!

Scornful - NP

DJ - Online or voice? If it was online, call them and find out for sure. I am sure one will be ok for now :)

PJ goes through enough gear, you may be working with him in the future ;)
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005

DJ - Online or voice? If it was online, call them and find out for sure. I am sure one will be ok for now :)

Doro,

I did it over Online, I just tried to call them but they are closed right now. I will call them tomorrow to check again.

Steve

BTW I just see the inside of the amp its beautiful, I also see the inside of the HCA-1500a it ok. So I believe I brought the right one.

Thanks

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    Parasound Halo - BMW M Series
    Parasound Classic - BMW 3 Series
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Parasound Halo - BMW M Series
    Parasound Classic - BMW 3 Series

I don't know, I almost brought a BWM 330 I almost got a woody. I then brought an Acura TL-S I still have a woody. :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    Your woody scares me. Do I have to put a "collar" on you when Polkfest happens?

I hear you, as it should be 330i as a starting point for Bimmer respect in my book. I'm an Audi man...but sure would like to get my redneck back.
  • pjdami
    edited February 2005
    DJ,
    I just happened to be home today because I'm working nights. I have been somewhat looking for a sand amp for my Monitor 10s for a bedroom rig.

So when I saw the deal I jumped on it because at that price I just knew they weren't going to last and it seemed like you were still undecided on what you were going to do.

I'm relieved that you at least got one but feel slightly guilty IF I got the second one that you may have been able to purchase. At least we have kept a pair in the Polk family here .
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    DJ,
    I just happened to be home today because I'm working nights. I have been somewhat looking for a sand amp for my Monitor 10s for a bedroom rig.

I looking to upgrade my 2 channel music. So when I get 2 of these I will bridge mono them for 400w each.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Your woody scares me. Do I have to put a "collar" on you when Polkfest happens?

I don't know....

I might like that ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD