Chinese Tube Pre Amp

Options
I was searching for a tube pre to mate with a pair of 300b mono blocks. I had my Bottlehead Quickie that has several upgrades, in fact I think I have way more into coupling caps, Audio Note potentiometer etc than what the Quickie cost new. I tried the Quickie with the mono blocks, but I didn't like the sound at all. I tried to like the combination but it was not working for me. I was kind of frustrated but didn't want to jump on another pre and regret the purchase. So I continued to look. Meanwhile, I ran across a Chinese pre amp that is supposedly modeled after the Marantz 7 circuit. Don't know if that is true or not. It was stocked and warehoused in California and was only $189. I thought why not? I could always return it. Anyway, it arrived a couple of weeks ago well packed and it actually sounds pretty good. It is a much better fit for the mono blocks than the Quickie. It uses 2) 6z4's, 2) 12AU7's, and 2) 12AX7b tubes. I will play with it for a while and probably move it on. Or, just keep it on the shelf in case I need something in a pinch.

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Looks interesting and I really like the looks of the internals. Very simple and easy to replace anything. Chinese components get knocked for using cheap parts but you can quickly upgrade anything in there with just a soldering iron.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The design of it looks similar to the layout/style of the EE MiniMax pre amp.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Given that the Marantz 7 was a full function preamp using six 12AX7 in toto, no 12AU7 and solid state rectifier -- I think the notion that those ubiquitous "Marantz 7" based preamp boards (and preamps made from them) represents rather fanciful marketing. :|

http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2013-01/23/2013011619.pdf (7C sm)
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-legacy-marantz-model-7-preamplifier/

It would be straightforward to improve the P/S transformer if one were suitably motivated -- again, though, the 7/7C* P/S is probably quite a bit different.

Again, these Chinese things could be great or terrible, but I don't think they're very Marantz-ish (not that the 7 was all that great sounding of a preamp, IMO -- they are pretty, though).

Options
    Thanks for the input all. Again, not saying that this is a stellar piece of equipment, but something to get me through a transitional period. For $189?? Why not?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    And, I have no intention of any upgrades. It is what it is.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    For the price, it looks pretty awesome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I was thinking of getting one of these a couple years ago but cooled down on the thought. This does interest me again though, especially how good looking it is. There are a ton of these out there, mind PMing me the link of where you got this one?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »
    Looks interesting and I really like the looks of the internals. Very simple and easy to replace anything. Chinese components get knocked for using cheap parts but you can quickly upgrade anything in there with just a soldering iron.

Except the fact that a transformer is the most critical part of any audio component. That is where the price points really show themselves.

That was not intended to be a slam on Faustin’s purchase - just the reality of what these products are. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

I agree to a point. But this is preamp has an 80 watt transformer. Even if they are exaggerating a little (and they probably are) You don't need that many watts for a pre. Where the Chinese do fail is when they start putting undersized transformers into amplifiers. Then I will totally agree with you.

As for price points everything is relative. Some cheap Chinese gear sounds surprisingly good. This is a$200 pre built with a simple classic design. I have a feeling with some trivial tweaks it will sounds better than most of us would want to admit. Can you recommend a better non-Chinese tube pre for under $1000?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    @mhardy6647
    I looked into the circuit description again and apparently it is copied from a Wada Shigeho circuit design. Wada dates back to the 60's where he set out to improve on the Marantz 7 design. Research that I have done says that he was way ahead of his time with some of his designs.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Obligatory mention of the YS Audio tube pre on eBay that's been tempting me forever https://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-Audio-SYMPHONIES-PLUS-R-Remote-Tube-Preamplifier/190905561201
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I still have one of those sitting here at the house.
    Not bad with the proper tubes installed.
    Stock ones need to go. The power supply board
    is a bit poorly built. I changed out the caps on mine (older unit)
    and the circuit board runs blister up as soon as you touch an iron to it.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • camiloyyz
    camiloyyz Posts: 2
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I have this very same preamp. I think she has a pretty good soundstage. I'm using NOS Telefunken tubes in her. And I have her plugged in to a completely restored Dynaco ST-70 using Genelex Gold lion tubes, playing through Dynaco A25 speakers. So the sound is pretty good. I would be interested in doing some improvements to this Chinese preamp. Any suggestions?
    Power supply?? Caps??
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Love to see some pics of the ST-70.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Nice piece of gear