Using two center channels CSi3 in stereo

Options
Does anyone else do this? I have two CSi3 in stereo. I run them on their side so they are as a tall bookshelf speaker. The sound is actually pretty good, although I was doing the audiocheck.net Ultimate Bass Test and the CSi3 has excessive response between 125 and 145 hz. Is this a cabinet resonance which causes the frequency here to be over produced? It is a fairly old speaker now, and I was looking for frequency response curve graphs for the CSi3 but could not locate it.

Does anyone else run center channels this way?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Personal opinion is since they're center channels they are voiced that way for voice clarity.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Yep. A dedicated center channel speaker is designed for human voices and clear dialogue in movies rather than for stereo use. That boosted response covers part of the normal range of human voices.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    When I tried two cs400is years ago, I was very disappointed in the sound. First, there is a 2.5 way crossover where one midrange covers partial frequency and the other is full range (below tweeter cutoff). I think this is to help with the lobbing effect that occurs with a horizontal speaker. They are designed to be horizontal, not vertical. But if it sounds good to you, why do you care what I think?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    chijimi wrote: »
    Does anyone else do this? I have two CSi3 in stereo. I run them on their side so they are as a tall bookshelf speaker. The sound is actually pretty good, although I was doing the audiocheck.net Ultimate Bass Test and the CSi3 has excessive response between 125 and 145 hz. Is this a cabinet resonance which causes the frequency here to be over produced? It is a fairly old speaker now, and I was looking for frequency response curve graphs for the CSi3 but could not locate it.

Does anyone else run center channels this way?

No, because their design precludes them from being used as such.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chijimi
    chijimi Posts: 13
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Yep. A dedicated center channel speaker is designed for human voices and clear dialogue in movies rather than for stereo use. That boosted response covers part of the normal range of human voices.

You are saying that the boosted response between 125 and 145 hz is for human voices? I'm not sure that is what is happening here. I assure you the 20 hz range i specified is significantly louder, possibly a multiple, than all the frequencies below or above it. Its a very narrow range is that maybe represents just a sliver of the lowest male voices. In fact, it was so loud I had to go into my receiver just to double check I hadnt pumped the eq at this frequency range. the response curve here must be wacky as hell.

Speaking of response curve, does anyone have imagery of the response curve for RTi/RTiA center channels?
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    When I tried two cs400is years ago, I was very disappointed in the sound. First, there is a 2.5 way crossover

I had no idea that the center crossover had 2.5 way, do you have a link to more information about this crossover?
  • F1nut
    Options
    What part of, "A dedicated center channel speaker is designed for human voices and clear dialogue in movies rather than for stereo use" are you failing to grasp?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chijimi
    chijimi Posts: 13
    Options
    Less rhetoric and more frequency response curves would be helpful for your arguement. I am just speaking from what my ears tell me, and what I hear is a banging stereo system using CSi3s, although the speaker has a significant and absurd overpronounced 20hz tange at 125-145. If anyone has a graph of this that would be great, otherwise I'll try and make this myself, should be amusing to look at
  • F1nut
    Options
    I tried, you're on your own.

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The -3dB rating for the CSi3 is only 65 Hz. Not much going on below that level because the drivers and cabinet are too small to exceed it's intended purpose. It's a fine center channel speaker for a home theater system crossed over at 80 Hz with a subwoofer or two. The CSi5 would go a little deeper because it's bigger. I had one of those and it was impressive.