Tri-amped CSI A6

gp4jesus
gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
edited January 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Finished & reassembled as of 4p today, Jan 2nd, 2017!

Blends better now w/ Tri-amped LR*. Sibilance is a memory!
* http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174880/tri-amped-rti-a7

Build notes:
1. A nod to Jesse (F1nut) - mids held in by hurricane nuts & the requisite machine screws
2. Same DC blocking cap on tweeter - ClarityCap PX 68uf
3. Canare 14 soldered to tweeter
4. BJC 10 gauge soldered to mids
5. Same binding post upgrades
Only one pic...

26ni3u9yqy3p.jpeg
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
Post edited by gp4jesus on

Comments

• gp4jesus
    Omitted Build Notes:
    6. five coats of Flex Seal* applied to interior - something different & untried
    7. Armaflex on mid magnets, frames, & closure walls - as w/the other speakers
    8. mineral wool gently tucked in between Power Port tubes & closure walls
    * does, by its self, help to reduce closure ringing
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    One person's reality may be another's "Holy...!"
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Tony goes for broke! Keep us posted on further results when everythings cooks for a couple hunert hours. Interesting project.
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2017
    Update. Everything XO'd @ ~2K, 4th order. I expect some heat for this.

Did a bunch of listening w/the XOs set as closely to Polk's specs as possible. Then I reset them to the above. Seemed cleaner, w/ the same FR. Makes sense given that those mids will beam above 2.3K.

Polk specs their filtering, all 2nd order, as follows:
    tweeter: 2.2kHz
    mids @ 1.5kHz & 3.8kHz, -6dB

Side note 1: triamping my center increases available power to 100 watts per driver. Added a real 100+ watts across my front.

Side note 2: discovered my pre/pro allows English or metric distance settings - increments either 6" or .1 meter = ~4".

Enjoy.
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2017
    Watching "Days of Thunder" on Blu-Ray @ -11... ...priceless!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    What happened to the built in crossover?
  • gp4jesus
    K_M wrote: »
    What happened to the built in crossover?
    Its in a box along w/ 2 RTi A7 XOs

• gp4jesus
    Long story short: the next (rare) chance I get the house to my self I’m swapping in a 981 for the 985. I give up some power but I’ll PU some fidelity.

The Rotel community considers the 981, a near-baby 991, that series flagship. Whereas some consider the 985, essentially a 5 X 100 watt version of the 980*. Unfortunately “shoehorning” that much technology into a chassis only slightly taller than a 980/1 demands some compromises.
    *the 981’s predecessor.

Until then... Tony
  • gp4jesus
    “...then...” arrived today!

Swap out the 985 for a 981. Cleaner, softer treble.

Side note: about a month ago, the tweeter’s lower frequency range “quit.” Sounded REALLY thin. Swapped it for one of my un-used RTi A1 tweeters. Slightly different bezel but otherwise a drop-in - same tweeter.

I have my eye on this...

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-OC25SC65-04-1-Textile-Dome-Tweeter-264-1018

... as an inexpensive replacement. Polk wants $65 - too much for that tweeter. Removing the old one from the bezel took some effort - held in by a rubbery glue. Could be an inexpensive upgrade for any RTi/RTi A series speakers.

Until next time..
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    “...then...” arrived today!

Swap out the 985 for a 981. Cleaner, softer treble.

Side note: about a month ago, the tweeter’s lower frequency range “quit.” Sounded REALLY thin. Swapped it for one of my un-used RTi A1 tweeters. Slightly different bezel but otherwise a drop-in - same tweeter.

I have my eye on this...

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-OC25SC65-04-1-Textile-Dome-Tweeter-264-1018

... as an inexpensive replacement. Polk wants $65 - too much for that tweeter. Removing the old one from the bezel took some effort - held in by a rubbery glue. Could be an inexpensive upgrade for any RTi/RTi A series speakers.

Until next time..

Less than 8 bucks! If it works, that's a heck of a deal.
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2021
    We’ll see.

I compared the dimensions of the two tweeters and, also, mine w/the pictures of the Peerless. They are remarkably similar, if not the same. So much so, coloring aside, the only obvious difference is a heat sink screwed and glued to the back! So it should fit w/little issue. We’ll see...

Kinda makes me wonder if Peerless made the original for Polk. Polk has used several different model Peerless tweeters in many of their products over the years. We’ll see...

A few folks on the forum know one has several choices if they’re displeased w/their RTi/RTi A series speakers’ infamous upper frequency response or SQ:
    a. upgrade the XO components w/particular attention to tweeter filtering
    b. like me, go electronic and, as appropriate, either bi or tri-amp them*
    c. Buy something else
    d. Live w/them though some really their sound as is.
    *https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174880/tri-amped-rti-a7#latest

In closing when they get here, I’ll use a pair of RTi A3s* as a test, swapping a Peerless into one and do a bunch of listening. Then I’ll upgrade my system starting w/the ‘A6. What will make doing 5 channels easier for me is a pair of idle RTi A3s* and have a couple of blown tweeters’ bezals w/which to install the Peerless. This will reduce any channels’ speaker’s down time to a few minutes.
    *in reserve to, one day, expand to 7 channels

We’ll see... Tony
  • gp4jesus
    In my March 30th post I neglected to make it clear my ‘A6 is now bi amped.

Yeah the mid/woofers share a channel. I’m OK w/that though as they are two 4 ohm drivers in series - easier load, cooler running amp, plenty of available power.
  • gp4jesus
    The “mounted*” CSi A6 diffraction pad** from Trey.
    qrqjrilvi81h.jpeg
    *prior to Velcro, I relied upon the grill to hold it in place.

No SQ eval comments with & w/out grill as I haven’t watched any movies since applying Velcro. For that matter I haven’t done any with & w/out DP** listening as I’m overwhelmed w/the “honey doo” list
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Well, get that list done and get back to work :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    edited June 2021
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, get that list done and get back to work :)
    😅 I appreciate your boot to my backside!

My 13 year old son is game CRAZY using my system!