Home warranty.....yen or nay...............

NotaSuv
NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
Home was built in 65...owned by a NASA engineer since day 1 very well kept...

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Do you own the home or are you looking to purchase?
  • NotaSuv
    looking to purchase....home inspection being done tomorrow as well a few friends from the trades stopping by to take a look as well..........roof is 10 years old
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited April 2021
    Best to first get an independent home inspector you trust and not one affiliated with the listing agent or even your buying agent if you have one.

I have friends who bought places that on the surface looked great but they later found at great cost that highly educated dudes who previously owned them thought they could do electrical and plumbing work themselves. Not good!

Not to say that a NASA engineer wouldn't have had maintenance work done professionally, but it pays to check.

Regarding a home warranty, it's like any other insurance policy except you aren't required to hold one. If the water heater, furnace, and appliances are in good shape the cost of the warranty may be a waste. If you would be more comfortable paying a little for peace of mind and think the warranty may be needed then a home warranty can be worthwhile.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Aftermarket warranty companies are notorious for finding exclusions in your coverage, usually after you've filed a claim "oh, read the fine print, that's only covered on Tuesdays in odd numbered months".
    I'd like to see lending institutions offer warranty coverage through them when you finance the home. Then I'd say go for it.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Title company provided a year's home warranty for free when I last got a mortgage. Of course nothing's free and I didn't need to use it anyway. :)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    I agree with Emlyn, it's just like insurance: it's designed by necessity to cost customers more than it costs the company. As such, if you can "self warranty", you should. There is no such thing (in my view) as a good insurance company. You should only use insurance or warranties to cover things that might wipe you out without them.

I got a home warranty for "free" when I first bought, and I did try to use it. It was far more trouble than it was worth. Between mediocre tradesmen who had no clue what they were doing, and desperately trying to overcharge, I ended up fixing everything they said was a big job myself.

The problems were related to the bathroom fixtures, and laundry room fixture, which both failed within a year.

They wanted to rip out the whole bath/shower fitment, stating that I would have to get (and pay) somebody else to redo the wall and tiles afterwards. Ditto for the laundry. They said that the fixture was too old and that they would have to redo everything, and might leave openings in the wall that would have to be repaired by somebody else.

I went to the local hardware store with the broken (old) parts, and they gave me replacements, and I installed them myself. Problem solved.

I would never use a home warranty again, personally, even when it's free.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    If your realtor or lender is paying for it, sure I guess get it. If not, nope.

I will say, however, that one good friend saved a TON when a pipe burst in the bathroom, flooding the house and ruining brand new $7000 hardwood floors. Our electrician knew how to work with homeshield, and they got everything paid for sans the $1000 deductible of course. So, it can be worth it but be prepared to either a) do a LOT of work to get a claim paid or b) have a person in the trade that knows how to get a claim met and is willing to do the legwork...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    My last 3 homes the seller provided a one year home warranty, as I did the last 2 homes I sold. I thought it pretty much standard procedure.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    My experience is home warranties are a feel good measure, claims are difficult to get paid, and rarely are cost effective. If the seller is buying it great, otherwise skip it.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I have a home warranty (American Home Shield) and while there are downsides, it’s paid for itself many times over. It comes down to this: if something major goes wrong you’ll be glad you have it, if nothing goes wrong you’ll feel like you wasted your money.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Glad it worked out for you, but not the norm. The warranty companies will want to half **** the fix. Leaving you to make it right.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That’s great info @ken brydson!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I wish I had gotten one. Used the inspector recommended by our realtor (realtor was fantastic), I'm not sure if he was having an off day or the company sent their scrub, but he missed quite a bit and I was forced to put in 20K-25K the first year in mechanical and some structural repairs. Old houses are money pits!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited April 2021
    My dad has one. I don't. His has worked out OK but getting items covered is rather difficult. He is retired and can spend the time. I would have lost my mind. He had a refirigirator problem and had to have the techs out 4 times to get it fixed. And when he had them out he could not communicate with them. They really did not speak English, which was the problem.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited April 2021
    Like Ken stated, Realtors should be able to recommend inspectors and warranty companies.
    They should also explain the differences between a home inspection and a professional appraisal.

As a broker I have told agents never to "insist" on a seller or buyer using one inspector, but give them at least three good inspection companies to choose from. If you know of a bad inspector you can possibly advise them to look elsewhere but do not tell them not to use a poor inspector if they insist on using them.

The reason I mention this is there was (is) a really disliked home inspector here that had learned of Realtor's emailing disparaging comments about him and agents advising their seller's not to accept an offer in which the buyer was using him as an inspector. He hired an attorney and filed a complaint with the local Board of Realtors and with the state Real Estate Commission. He won in both places. Of maybe 10-15 local home inspection companies he's near the bottom in number of inspections. We have about four home inspection companies that do probably 80% of the inspections.

As for home warranty programs, there are the big ones: Service One, 2-10 HBW, Choice, Select...
    Many large real estate brokerages have a preferred or in-house home warranty company that offers more coverage items, larger additional coverage limits and usually free full (no deductible) coverage to the sellers during the listing period.

I've seen the same as Ken has, regarding the warranty many times you never use it or it gets used a lot. I've seen a warranty company replace a furnace without even attempting to fix it for only the $75.00 deductible. Other times I've seen them wasting time (several trips) trying to repair a fifty year old built-in kitchen wall oven.

If your buying you can always ask the seller to pay for the home warranty.

Best Wishes.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I had a home warranty on my first house. Tried to file 3 separate claims, all denied. I have friends who've had an opposite and great experience with theirs.

When we purchased last year the seller offered to include it. We requested that money was rolled into the repair costs we negotiated. I feel that was a better use of the funds personally.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    I'm glad I watch a lot of Mike Holmes Make it Right episodes. He gives the average guy an idea of the pitfalls buying a home.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Do any of you buy those aftermarket auto warranties, it's kind of the same thing.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Biggest thing about 1960s houses are to look for things at near end of life

Rag romex, ungrounded wiring, aluminum wiring, etc

Cast iron drains, expected life is 75 years to 100 years max, but if the line from the road to the house is galvanized, you can bet real money it is corroded and leaking beneath the ground

Same thing on supply lines for plumbing

Aesbesthos tape on hvac lines, etc

That's where I cringe at houses from that era
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    VR3 wrote: »
    Biggest thing about 1960s houses are to look for things at near end of life

Rag romex, ungrounded wiring, aluminum wiring, etc

Cast iron drains, expected life is 75 years to 100 years max, but if the line from the road to the house is galvanized, you can bet real money it is corroded and leaking beneath the ground

Same thing on supply lines for plumbing

Aesbesthos tape on hvac lines, etc

That's where I cringe at houses from that era

Pfft, you cringe at anything older than you....

I keed....
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I’ve never had issues with the warranty company trying to get out of paying on a claim. They have sent a plumbing company that I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing any major work. A downside is that you’re kind of stuck with whoever they send...though I have called and requested a specific company and they were able to accommodate me.

In three years at my current house I’ve had a water heater replaced, an A/C unit replaced, had a fairly significant plumbing issue repaired, and had a few minor plumbing issues repaired. I think I pay $65/mo and $75/call, which is much less than I would have paid without the insurance.

But based on this thread, I’m in the minority on having a home warranty.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Home was built in 65...owned by a NASA engineer since day 1 very well kept...

Staying in Titusville???
  • NotaSuv
    Yeah for awhile as Lani wants to keep working and I just wanna fish