Auralic vs DRM

Options
Great statement/article on the Auralic homepage regarding their stance on MQA. Absolutely nailed it! Just say no to DRM.

"Since MQA’s compression method permanently removes bits from the original file, it must do so in a lossy manner, compromising the integrity of the full file, and does not deliver an actual high-resolution music format. Due to this loss of integrity, AURALiC does not consider MQA to be a part of true high-performance audio. In terms of quality, MQA offers little better than CD-quality FLAC as a format and is essentially a high-resolution version of MP3."

https://us.auralic.com/pages/auralic-vs-drm

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I wish more companies would take a clear stance on this. Glad to see one of the bigger players in streaming really leaning into a position from an industry standpoint vs just a sound stand point. The sound is a relevant discussion, but the licensing feels like a cost that doesn't benefit customers or artist. Maybe if artists got paid a higher rate for MQA streams I could get more behind it, but as far as I understand that isn't the case.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    I have no dog in the fight, but good for them anyway. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    At this point I feel like MQA is just another blood sucking money grab. Not necessary in any way.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    At this point I feel like MQA is just another blood sucking money grab. Not necessary in any way.
    I don't know that I feel quite that strongly about it, but I'm in the same boat. I think the principles of the technology make sense from a streaming standpoint. Higher than CD, but not full file to help with bandwidth. Not mad about that part.

But driving up the cost of hardware and streaming without kicking to the artist in anyway. Not to mention the cost of gear that is either passed on to the consumer, or cutting into the manufacturers margins.

Looking into this is a little further it looks like Linn took a strong stance a few years back. They did a nice job showing how this is creating new costs throughout the entire process - studio to our speakers.
    https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm going to boycot Tidal or never listen to MQA. But I don't have MQA gear, and I got my Tidal subscription for less then Spotify for my first year. But if I was having to pay full price Tidal at $20/ month, I'd be giving a closer look at Qobuz.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yes?

So... What is Qobuz offering me that is better than Tidal Master? Thinking I need to give them a go just to see what all the hullabaloo is all about...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    You were inquiring about why MQA is DRM in the other thread.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Got it. Thanks!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So... What is Qobuz offering me that is better than Tidal Master? Thinking I need to give them a go just to see what all the hullabaloo is all about...

Essentially they are offering high resolution streaming w/o proprietary DRM. Just good old fashioned high bitrate & sample depth FLAC files.

You should give them a try! Their high res content sounds great.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    The Auralic Vega G2 has been nothing but a dream and curious as I am I did sample all of the available pay options for streaming music but by the time I did my ears were already spoiled from listening to the music in my digital library all nicely contained on my NAS,. Fortunate to have over 43k albums at my fingertips and there is no pay service that hangs with my digital Rips ! I understand this may vary with whatever gear people use so if you get to that Vega G2 or even G1 level you will really know what I mean!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!