Frank Zappa on Quboz

Options
Qobuz released what looks like the entire Zappa collection. A lot are available in high rez. When looking, sometimes you will see 2 different versions of the same high res versions. Some are 96k and some higher so watch what one you are choosing. Listen to the Halloween 81 set right now that has Stevie Vai on it.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited April 2021
    Options
    About 6 months ago I went on a FZ buying frenzy and picked up most of the mainstay 60-80's stuff. A few days ago saw the chatter re. hirez on another forum and it's been very positive.
    https://forum.psaudio.com/t/which-zappa-disc-are-you-currently-spinning/3389

First introduction to Frank was Joe's Garage and still have the double CD from the 80's. May not be considered his best work but my favorite, so am contemplating the 24/192 version since I don't subscribe to streaming services.
    https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/85472
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Options
    Maybe try a fee trial of qobuz and see if you think its worth changing to the high res version of Joe's. As a kid, i had the cassette and then later on, cd. That album in general is a decent recording in my opinion.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JayCee
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Yah, good thought. Agree, Joe's CD is a respectable copy....would be worth the $ if I could best it. I really do enjoy the album. Most of what I recently picked up are remastered and I've found them to be very good. Not having previous copies I have nothing to compare. One thing I like about my DirectStream DAC is how good standard CD's (FLAC'd) sound. Probably won't start a streaming subscription but the free trial would be a cool way to test new formats.

Slight tangent...have you received your ER?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    Options
    What's ER?
  • JayCee
    Options
    EtherREGEN
  • erniejade
    Options
    Haaaaa! I still need to order it!
  • erniejade
    Options
    I should add, they are backordered till May.
  • JayCee
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Better sooner than later. Ordered mine about a year ago and, back then, it was also back-ordered but came in early.

I've been reading up and following DK in the ER/AfterDark forums on Audiphilestyle.com. Coincidentally, in the past 2 days, I found he's been a busy bee away from this forum. Separate from his experiments and reading his latest journey, I'd decided to upgrade the ER to an external clock and dedicated power supply.....and saw that he's also ordered the clock.

Said it before...I'd be surprised if you don't like it...and w/the 30 day return policy...get'er done! But, be forewarned, it just may lead to more spending down the road. Don't say I didn't warn you!
  • erniejade
    Options
    Preorder done!
  • JayCee
    Options
    Sweet.