Monitor 11T Question

alecd70
alecd70 Posts: 13
So yesterday I bought a pair of these older speakers for super cheap. The guy selling them said he had them for about a year, and got them from his coworker. They had some cobwebs, which I wiped off. In the few hours of listening to them (as fronts) they sound a little weak. They don't produce as much bass at my RTi8s, and none of the woofers appear damaged (sound comes from all of them, and I can push them in and they immediately pop back in place). I know not everyone doesn't think/believe that speakers require a break-in period, however, could these have been sitting unused for quite a while and need just some time?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    No
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited March 2021
    After a capacitor sits unused for years it looses some capacity. It will regain some back during a second "break in" so it might sound a little better letting the speakers play for a while. But your problem is the caps are approaching their useful life and were not very good to begin with. Do some searches here on rebuilding the crossovers.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Sounds like a cabinet leak.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Mine sounded dull and lifeless until I did a recap and installed new RDO-194's now they are awesome!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • alecd70
    Thank you all for your responses! We watched another movie tonight and they sounded better overall, except one of the radiators or woofers would sound awful during a bass-heavy scene. So now there's that!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    msg wrote: »
    Sounds like a cabinet leak.

Push down gently on one of the drivers and the woofer should move out. It should stay there for 5+ seconds (the longer the better). If the woofer comes out then quickly starts to go back in you have a leak. There are a lot of posts on this so do a search here to find out how to fix it.
  • alecd70
    So I figured out what was causing the awful noise. The bottom radiator completely pushes in at high enough volumes (and during certain scenes). It happens on both of the speakers. I assume they need to be replaced? And both of the tweeters make a hissing sound. Should I replace/upgrade those as well? Thank you all for your help and responses!
  • audioluvr
    Sounds like you are driving your amp/AVR to clipping.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited March 2021
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• alecd70
    I don't believe I'm clipping anything, and I can push the bottom radiator all of the way in without using much finger pressure.