This format is horrible

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited March 2021
    I’m really disappointed in the format. But that may be more that I need time to get acquainted to the new functionality. From what I have seen some of you wouldn’t be happy no matter what.

I’m glad that they brought it back. I have visited this site everyday for 5 years. Part of what I do. For the short time let’s just be happy we have a platform.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I could do surgery with much illumination...
    5p1c2rts4o0m.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It's really hard to navigate, the all white makes it very hard to figure out what's what. They need a dark mode at least. I had to turn my brightness down
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2021
    Don't you think they'll add some background (Reference Series cheesecake photo)... eventually?

Yeah, the font size(s) are kind of borked, aren't they?
    The grey background hearkens back to the early days of the www :)

Danger Part survived circularization pretty well -- although the avatars are kind of tiny.

• mhardy6647
    Sez I have PMs but clicking on the envelope yields the swirling maelstrom of lock-up :(

p945m4k2hw88.png
  • mhardy6647
    It's the "Vanilla Foundation Theme 2021".
    Like makeup foundation, I suppose...

I am havin' real trouble with the "post comment" button being on the far right. Maybe it always was.. but I am still havin' trouble with it...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    My biggest gripe is that on mobile there is no hamburger menu, you have to scroll all the way to bottom to quick links to find the menu,
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Somebody needs to be fired… Or at least put in the penalty box ‘til they learn their craft
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Lol
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Glad the place is back but this will take some getting used to.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Please don't make an all black background. Really hard on old eyes!

I would imagine this is a new updated Vanilla that is more efficient behind the scenes.

Let's be happy we are still here.

Preview doesn't seem to work.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    OTOH, if you make an all black background people won't have to
    read my posts. B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Good thing they make decent speakers because I would hate to see them try to earn a living in the field of web design...

LOL...agreed with all. The white is just horrid.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I got a firefox plugin that'll invert the colors by pressing (alt + r).
    "Invert colors" by max
    You have to press again to see pictures normally, but it may make reading more pleasant for you.
    Here's a screenshot.
    j7u7dnj37ca2.png
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I turned off signatures since the new format has the text of a post the same size as the signature lines. A one line post followed by several lines of "signature" material with the same size text for every post just clutters everything up.

The white background doesn't bother me and appears to be a trend with web design lately.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Somehow I stumbled across this new Forum. How long has it been back up?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The forum was reactivated on Friday evening.
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited March 2021
    I agree WOW, I am using the Firefox Add-on called Darker Background Brighter Font by zero0evolution. It lets me set the background, how I like the page and only works by page or website, it just like my You Tube enhancer add-on, try it out, if your using Firefox or I am sure Chrome has a similar add-on also guys..
  • 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    Hey, at least it's back. I would have missed it if it would have fallen to the wayside. But, with that said, I do agree that something could be done with the bright background. My eyes are very light sensitive and after about 15 minutes of looking at this, it gave me a pretty good headache.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    How do you access the site without signing in?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited March 2021
    I agree, I'm glad it's back, too. Crazy how muscle-memory-ingrained my visits had become. During the time it was down, I kept catching myself going to open a tab on a computer or phone, and then remembering it was down and falling into the fetal position in the back corner of a closet with my woobie and rocking myself to sleep.

I first saw the new format on a mobile device. I usually use the Opera browser for Android with Dark Mode on, so I didn't see all the white and thought it was redesigned in black at first, ha.

The operation and presentation are pretty rough for mobile, though, yes, I agree. Inconvenient font sizing, missing information, and lacking the navigation and cleaner presentation of the previous mobile Vanilla.

On a computer browser, it's not bad at all. I'm not one for change without improvement - hate it in most cases, in fact, but it does seem more modern and looks cleaner. I agree though, wouldn't mind a bit more contrast, or, more importantly, user preference options.

Wouldn't mind a nice background, too, maybe the Legend or Reserve line. Even better if there's a way to provide the user an option to set the preferred theme like most other forums allow for. Just poked around a little on Vanilla's own discussion forums and strangely it doesn't seem like this is a typical option without some extra work on the back end. Figured there'd be a plug-in or something. Maybe there is, I only looked briefly, considering we don't have control over that anyway.

The H&M Creative Mischief Design Studio hereby offers technical and creative design consulting services to Polk Audio and Sound United.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2021
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    How do you access the site without signing in?
    You mean browse without signing in?

Wow, that's actually a good question - looks like you can't access the forum without an account.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2021
    mantis wrote: »
    It's really hard to navigate, the all white makes it very hard to figure out what's what. They need a dark mode at least. I had to turn my brightness down
    Dan, mobile or computer? If mobile, maybe try a browser that offers a dark or night mode option. I like Opera for Android.

d3i9e6g8oaae.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Sez I have PMs but clicking on the envelope yields the swirling maelstrom of lock-up :(
    xb5ljdteixb9.png
    Mark, have you tried clicking on the All Messages link at the bottom of the menu there?
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Doesn’t look like there is a link to the forum from the main website.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    Hmm, you're right, Paul. Wonder if they just wanted to loose it on us first to test out before launching to the public?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited March 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not having maelstrom lockup when receiving PM's... YMMV. 🤔
    Alea jacta est!