Free to good home: Carver Amazing Plat's in need of a a ribbon.......

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited March 2021 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
So, I've got a pair of Plat's.....they were actually RT1's....that gave up a ribbon at Polk Fest over a decade ago. They have languished in my stereo room behind a curtain ever since. I'd really like for someone to give them a good home that would like to obtain a ribbon and use them.

Again, these are free and while I don't need them gone immediately, it's time for them to go someplace else. I also have a set of boxes but no way would I consider shipping them.

Who knows, I may even send you home with a nice pair of B&W bookshelves as a parting gift.....

They are located in North Charleston SC
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Very generous Karma. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • TroyD
    Ok, here are a couple of pics....they are behind a big curtain behind my rig....so taking one handed photos, it is what it is. They are cosmetically fine (minus the hole where the ribbon goes and a decade of dust)

92asl28ojqjm.jpg
    0mh9op9h5zz6.jpg
    145o3x2furia.jpg
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    If I only had a place for them and a massive amp.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Dang Gina, nice Karma!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    vmaxer wrote: »

the comment that has popped in most minds that have seen this post.
  • TroyD
    You are also going to need a ribbon...which is doable.

I disagree that you NEED a megawatt amp. A good 100wpc amp will suffice for 99% of your listening needs with these. They are 89db 1w/1m, if I recall so they are reasonably efficient.

That said though, all things being equal, there is no substitute for radiating surface area and a man's amp.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I have a megawatt amp and my friend used to service carver amazing speakers, but you are too far away.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2021
    No distance to great for a free pair of speakers and a historically significant pair (at least in the history of the Polk forum, anyway) at that!

And, if you aren't an ax murderer or anasshole...I can even feed you and perhaps put you up overnight.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    vmaxer wrote: »

The platinum was way easier on amplifiers vs the original. The plats don't dip down to 1 ohm either.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I just have to say...this is super cool of you Troy. Hopefully these go to a great new home!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TroyD
    F1’s DNA?

Priceless!
  • TroyD
    CH46E wrote: »
    :'(
    Dude, they are just a road trip away! Lol!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Last years Polk Fest would have worked. But since I've had my Infinity rebuild in the dining room for a few months the wife would absolutely lose her ****. I'm treading on dangerous waters here bud.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    F1nut wrote: »
    I rubbed my dingus on them when no one was looking.

I want them more now!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Why no mention of the toilet golf set?
  • TroyD
    Willow wrote: »

I'll even throw that in!

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    TroyD wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

I'll even throw that in!

Now that there fellas is a deal you cannot pass up!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Fantastic Karma Troy. Anyone within a drive shot of these should take him up on his generous offer. Blessed by F1NUT, christened by Russ...this adds value kids. Run, don't walk and snag these.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Just curious....

What would it take , money wise , to get these in great working order ?

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited March 2021
    There is a guy on ebay that will repair the 60 inch ribbion. I think he charges about $500 each. I'll see if I can find him and post a link.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Thanks 👍

Love to hear a pair of these some day ...

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • TroyD
    Me being me, I would probably do both ribbons at the same time.....just fershits and giggles.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2021
    gyosa wrote: »
    Just curious....

What would it take , money wise , to get these in great working order ?

Bk

To do both ribbons, you are looking at a grand probably.......which, all things considering, is not a bad deal.

The Carvers are something everyone should hear for sure. My honest opinion? I think that Bob Carver is a genius....I think the design goals are brilliant. The advantages of a full range ribbon and subterranean bass? What's not to love? And I think the Amazing Plats come pretty close to delivering. There are some quibbles....the ribbon and the woofers aren't 100% seamless (and truth be told, I think the planar woofers on the original Amazings integrated better BUT as I've said, the originals? You can't buy enough amp to drive those ****)....and Bob has no issue with loads of bass distortion because most of it isn't audible anyway which I dunno if I agree with 100%......at the end of the day though, they are musically (to me, anyway) engaging and damn fun to listen to.

So, the $64K question is then "why don't I restore them". Fair question. Mostly one of space. They DO thrive when they have space to breathe and they are a beeyatch to set up. The bass is elusive.....in some instances, F1 and hoosier21, there was none. In some cases, it's very bloated and one note. (and if you are looking for taught, tightly controlled bass you are barking up the wrong tree from jump street). The point being, integrating them into your space is a challenge and I just don't have the space...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    These still here ? What da.....?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TroyD
    tonyb wrote: »
    These still here ? What da.....?

I know, right?

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I wonder if these would fit in the overhead bin on my flight there for PF...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus