Recent external build

124»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Does that matter when they are in series? Other than giving it 33% more power handling?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    They are wired in parallel, so his actually has less resistance in that position slightly. Given ours are a few years apart, mine is slightly newer so they must have adjusted the schematic.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    jdjohn wrote: »
    That mounting bracket will attach to the bottom of the cabinet, and the exposed 'guts' will lay up along the back of the loudspeaker.

Comprendo. Gracias.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Wow. Amazing project. Congrats Jody on the new additions. Outstanding work Trey. Thanks for documenting the progress!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • VR3
    Gracias senor!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited February 2021
    All I can say about this, two nights ago something just clicked and the space ship has landed at Casa Trey.

Last time I had weight, depth and spatial imaging like this has been a long time.

Well worth the effort!

Side side note the parts in my crossovers have about 100 more hours on them than Jody's.
  • VR3
    Side note, as someone who has stayed away from bypass caps... The duelund caps as a bypass do add a sound to the cmr that makes it lean more towards the warmer side, where as the CMR is extremely neutral. I would hate to use the word organic, but they do indeed have a warmer timbre to them I haven't heard a cap possess.

Now I wouldn't go as far to say it makes it +2 a better cap to whatever you pair it with like humble hifi says, but it definitely adds a flavor to the sound.
  • Those really look special!!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited February 2021
    Thanks! I definitely feel like the "cool kid on the block" right now :D

@VR3 Trey provided the genius and artistry...I was just the brawn to get it installed :p Even still, I sent him numerous emails seeking advice and guidance. He was very responsive and helpful during every step along the way.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Looking sweet. You will know when they are fully burned in, it's like a light switch goes on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice initial impressions! Looking forward to hearing how they progress as you log more time on them.

Are you using any sort of expedited break-in method(s), like playing a FM station to them all day?
  • jdjohn
    No real strategy for break-in. With my wife and I working from home, we have phone calls throughout the day, so for the most part only listening at night.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Excellent Jody! Really playing any signal even at low volumes will help!
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2021
    Yeah that was my understanding as well, that even running quiet background-level music to them will help speed things along.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    something just clicked and the space ship has landed at Casa Trey.

Tom disputes that notion.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    F1nut wrote: »
    something just clicked and the space ship has landed at Casa Trey.

Tom disputes that notion.

Who?
  • VR3
    Redid the velcro! I like the look and it's easy to take on and off when I have to put the covers back on after listening.

hygu07f3umn8.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Listening impressions when you have a sec :)
  • VR3
    So I did some more listening test tonight and revised my design a little bit, I enlarged the tweeter cut out and made it oval. So far I believe this is an excellent middle of the road, controlling the highs, adding more air, amazing imaging.

gklgdnimi479.jpg

Also am 90% sure I will solder that fourth resistor in place, even if it is a little colored.
  • jdjohn
    I await your final judgement :)
  • VR3
    Final revision I will test tonight before shipping a pair out to Jody!

6z8n3w28a8po.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Snazzy
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.