Dallas audiophiles

If interested and local, we have a big club in Dallas Ft Worth area.

PM me if interested.

We meet in-person about 6x per year.
And currently we are also planning on concurrent 6 Zoom meets per year as well.
Last Zoom meeting, we had Michael Fremer as our special guest. For the next 4 to 5 Zoom meetings, I have already lined up some special guests who are audiophile household names.

We have approximately 40 members.

Thx,
JV
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Very cool Joey.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Wish I were closer. Would like to meet some of the members in this area.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    In. I am in process with design folks to build another three or so rooms for audio and home theater. I could sure use some input with these get togethers.

Let me know.

halen
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Cool! Do you have a spare bedroom???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Is there any reason that some folks from outside the DFW area couldn’t partake in the “gatherings” if they’re being conducted on Zoom?
    🤔
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Is there any reason that some folks from outside the DFW area couldn’t partake in the “gatherings” if they’re being conducted on Zoom?
    🤔

I won't speak for Joey, but the cost and complexity of running a zoom for 20 people who have mostly met in person vs say 100+ strangers across the company are vastly different. Just speaking from personal experience at work.

The club is organized by a few people as a hobby, not someone's day job.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I wish we had something like that here in Central FL.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited March 2021
    CH46E wrote: »
    I wish we had something like that here in Central FL.

Yeah I hear ya. When I started the club 4 years ago, I felt the same way. No club in all of Dallas. It didn’t make sense to me as it’s a pretty large metroplex. I see several have tried to start a club here but it always kinda just petered out. We got lucky when I started the club, it kinda just kept going and with the number of members we have now and the participation, I don’t see it stopping. We are closing in on 45 members. We have everything from Audio Research, Boulders, CH, Rockports, Levinsons, MBL, Wilson, Bowers, Focals, Sonus, Magnepans, Gryphon, Tidal Akiras, DCS, Emm, Lampizators, Esoteric, and many more. Best part of the club is the ability to hear many combinations and even borrow gear from members. Not to mention benefitting from the knowledge of more experienced members (example Willie teaching me about record cleaning machines).

The club is significantly tilted towards the higher end of the spectrum (I seek out the more esoteric and extreme systems in the city and get them to join) but we are an equal opportunity membership, we also have a couple college members who want some exposure to high end... though Willie and I are among the youngest. Main thing I look for is camaraderie. No snobs allowed.

Don’t you guys have a Tampa Bay Audio Society? Is that close enough to central FL?

Of note, our next Zoom is with Dan D’Agostino. 3/22.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2021
    If you’re interested in starting a club in your own city, instead of just posting on a forum that you wanna join or form a club, make an active effort.

I found the ingredients to a successful club is a diverse group (not just the same brand people), a good amount of really high end systems (people like to meet up and listen to things they haven’t heard seen or are accustomed to), a way to further camaraderie (I have dinner at a restaurant after meets for example), and have a strong leadership (make an effort to further the interests of the group).

One way to find people in your area? I found it very easy to find others in the area (especially higher end folks) through audiogon for sale ads. Filter using zip code. When I found an ad for say a Wilson or Rockport or another high end product, I would just message the user and see if he was interested in meeting up or being part of a group or just talking about audio. After a while, the member count builds up and the meets start rolling organically.

Only issue I found with higher end folk is a lot of the really affluent people are busy, so they don’t make it out regularly to meets. And some higher end folks can also be recluse... so they don’t like to entertain a group. But on the flip side, I found higher end audiophiles to be also have a very addicting personality... which means once you make regular contact, the fun for the club begins as equipment changes roll in, it’s easy to make meets to compare equipments such as Dac wars, etc.... the higher end audiophile also have large homes where a dozen or 2 can meet, and they usually egg each other to keep the new and interesting gear rolling in for the group to audition and hear.

In addition, I also found that aside from equipment, one big ingredient to keeping the group interest is music sharing. It’s easy to keep each other’s interests via recommendations of great LPs, pressings, etc.

Overall, I recommend you to seek out a group in your local area and if there isn’t one, think about building one. It makes this rather solitary hobby much more interesting and you make friends with people who you wouldn’t have ever crossed paths with. You further your knowledge and your experience increases several-fold.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited July 2022
    @Joey_V can you sign me up. I just moved to the DFW area. PM sent
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Had a great time at the meet up yesterday and heard a great setup.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Joey_V
    mpitogo wrote: »
    @Joey_V can you sign me up. I just moved to the DFW area. PM sent

Hey!
    Were you at the meet? Remind me if I have not yet reached out to you, there are just so many.
    Our next meet is 10/22.
    Thx
    JV
  • Joey_V
    DFWAC Live Meet #25
    10/22/22
    20 signed up
    Will be 2 sessions
    Session 1: 11am-2pm
    Session 2: 1pm-4pm
  • Joey_V
    DFWAC Live Meet #26:
    12/17/22, Saturday
    Max allowed 20

• Joey_V
    edited December 2022
    DFW Audiophile Club # 26
    Full guest list
    5p-10p
    Wilson Alexx, Jeff Rowland, DCS, Sub Swarm
  • Joey_V
    Dfwac 28
    Zoom with Mike Lavigne
    3/28/23
    Full
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Joey, how about getting your group to set up a room at Lone Star Audio Fest?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Joey, how about getting your group to set up a room at Lone Star Audio Fest?

That’s a fun idea. Just wonder who’s going to volunteer their gear.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    One of Joey's six systems :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Mike is a great person and definitely a heavy hitter in good sound/knowledge. Many folks could learn quite a bit from him and he's about as humble as they come, especially given his setup. It's great that you will be doing a Zoom with him!

I sincerely admire his passion for high fidelity audio.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Dfwac live meeting 29
    Flowers
    4/26/23
    6p
    Full
  • Joey_V
    Next meet:
    DFWAC 30: Terry’s house in Plano, May 13, 2023
    Full rsvp list

Full CH and Steinheim and dual Rel 25
    And a Vpi avenger

Ear popping was the last thought I recall when I heard it.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    i71paw4h8mi1.jpeg

Great looking room, bet it sounds wonderful.
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2023
    Clipdat wrote: »
    i71paw4h8mi1.jpeg

Great looking room, bet it sounds wonderful.

Yeah - I like the sound of the room very much. The XVX was very nice. Very.

Very lucky and successful double doctor couple
    19,000 sq foot estate
    The equipment room is behind the front wall
  • Joey_V
    DFWAC Meet 30 complete!
    Terrys CH and Stenheim and Kodo The Beat Table were all great!
    Thanks also goes to Willie for the Beef Beisket that he smoked!

zid48h66ipyu.jpeg
    wdisxb4v7a0p.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    Next Meet: DFWAC 31 is Magico and Estelon Days at SW, 6/24-25
  • Milito
    Great sounding system!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Which one?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    edited May 2023
    Terry's, the last pictures posted. I didn't go to the other meet.