New Thread: Diffraction Pads/Rings

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,935
edited March 2021 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
So my first thread kind of went crazy, sorry for making a different thread, but it seems to make sense.

So I can make any type of diffraction pad (within reason) so any dimension, shape, etc.

They are made of wool/felt and are laser cut/engraved.

They can be easily attached with velcro strips/dots.

Below are some examples.

Pricing examples are as follows, for a pair, with shipping.

1.2TL Pads, $37
2.3TL Pads, $29
Single tweeter $15
Diffraction ring $12
Minimus 7 Pads $22

Diffraction is what happens as the sound wave extends across the baffle and interacts with screws, grills, baffle edges, etc. An example of that is below -

agx8as5tohc4.png

Some examples -

x8cyio8244gw.jpg
lzwo5ov30fh2.jpg
3icde6qr4u6i.jpg
nrxi8737xy97.jpg
rtm6wixffxp2.jpg
qg30i55f6so3.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,979
    Interesting...I wonder if they would work with the KEF R3 Uni-Q driver.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • VR3
    Would be fairly easy to do a simple ring that went around the woofer for sure. Alot of coax drivers have a felt/foam ring around the tweeter as well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Here's a photo of the classic Spica TC50 designed by John Bau.

hs4bm0zk8fuz.png
  • VR3
    Excellent, looks like he had those punched and the grills completed it. Great design

@Clipdat that is what we will do with yours
  • VR3
    1.2tl

xq11tflfkpby.jpg
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,481
    It would be awesome if you can make me some for the 2 front Infinity EMIT tweeters when you put my crossovers together. For a fee of course.
  • VR3
    Absolutely, I would just need a tweeter or really detailed measurements!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    Would the SDA benefit from greater coverage like the Minimus?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    I do believe a ring around the midbass driver that fits between the surround and the basket edge would be beneficial.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    I would like to try one of those too^^ I wonder which is the worst offender......the basket rim (which really sticks out in un-rabbeted vintage monitor baffles), or the right angle cabinet edges.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Really the whole baffle and grill, plus the baskets would cause diffraction, the drivers themselves would cause some diffraction from other drovers. Very little was done to combat diffraction with the sda.

I have some midbass drivers here, will see what I can draw up
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    My very early 7B's have a grill cover where the particle board frame is not even rounded over on the inside. That can't help. I have been listening for many months without them but now with all the mods making the speakers more transparent and even a bit bright and revealing sometimes, I thought I would try putting them back on. More mellow sound for sure, but those sharp inside corners got me thinkin'.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Sid,

Shut up and take my money!!

AR did this type of thing with the AR9 series Acoustic Blanket...

Well done, sir!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    I do believe a ring around the midbass driver that fits between the surround and the basket edge would be beneficial.

I have some midbass drivers here, will see what I can draw up
    I should just give you my PP account and let you tell me when I have money for things other than audio. I'm in an experimenting mood, so make this another addition to my order. :D

Edit...I'd prefer no writing on these.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    You guys are a trip. 😜

How many rings would you need good sir
  • JayCee
    I'll just do 1.2's, so 16. Don't think it's for low bass but thoughts on the PR?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    I don't think you would see any benefits doing the pr.

I will look into it tonight, I'm pretty sure a teeter faceplate would fit in the inner circle so I wouldn't be wasting alot of material to cut them, will figure out pricing and update!
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    I don't think you would see any benefits doing the pr....
    I'm pretty sure a teeter faceplate would fit in the inner circle so I wouldn't be wasting alot of material to cut them, will figure out pricing and update!

Had the same thoughts but wanted your confirmation. Don't worry 'bout it....see bold. Only real consideration will be if, aesthetically, it completes the matching look w/MW's. I was thinking, also, in the PR size dead space you could get MW's and the smaller round tweeters to really maximize minimize the waste?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    I would like one set for my 2.3TLs. paypal?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VR3
    Sounds good, I will send a pm!

Looking at how the grill sits on the baffle, the best route would be rings that rest between the basket rim and the edge of the surround, this would have adequate results for the purposes we are seeking. I thought about doing something that would fit like a puzzle piece to line up with tweeter pads but I dont think there would be any benefit and may actually look a little funny.

I am thinking I could do the midbass rings at $8 each plus shipping on the total which would be $4.50 or $8.50 depending on the quantity of rings.
  • VR3
    Side note, I dont see any benefits at all to do this with a passive radiator taking into consideration with a PR does and how low it sits to the floor.
  • JayCee
    Side note, I dont see any benefits at all to do this with a passive radiator taking into consideration with a PR does and how low it sits to the floor.
    My thought, too, and, from experience, it takes a chitload of room treatment's to go after those frequencies. Just thinking out loud. May be more of an option to match the MW's for a more thought out look/uniformity. I think Larry or his fabrication buddy built ring covers to bling the drivers up?
  • VR3
    The beauty rings would look cool, but actually could add diffraction depending on how it is implemented, would need to know more, as in did they curve it away from the surround back to the basket edge, etc?

I could make a PR ring but it would need to be 2 pieces unfortunately since the size exceeds my printing capabilities
  • JayCee
    Easy....buy a bigger printer. BAM! I think I'm good for now. You've shattered my piggy bank.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I'm thinking you may have enough liquidity to get a bigger printer when all is said and done ;)
  • VR3
    I think the next step is to teach the wifey how to use it and print out diffraction pads hahha
  • VR3
    Can see the memory of the material here

pm8yvouu56o4.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I think the next step is to teach the wifey how to use it and print out diffraction pads hahha

Don't go and get greedy ☺️☺️
  • VR3
    One can wish! Hahaha
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    One can wish! Hahaha

You know her ears are burning🔥 right now right??? :s