best reciever on a budget for my polk speakers

I have 4 ts15 bookshelf speakers, 2 ts50 towers a psw108 and a psw505. I am looking for an affordable receiver to make this sound good. I am currently using a yamaha 202 but its only 2 channels so I am not sure I am getting the best I can out of my setup. possibly could use a wiring setup. please help.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Trigger79 wrote: »
    I have 4 ts15 bookshelf speakers, 2 ts50 towers a psw108 and a psw505. I am looking for an affordable receiver to make this sound good. I am currently using a yamaha 202 but its only 2 channels so I am not sure I am getting the best I can out of my setup. possibly could use a wiring setup. please help.

Ok I’ll try to help. A couple important things missing in your OP:

1. Is this for home theater or just music? (assuming the former but you never know)
    2. You say please stay in budget...without giving us a budget.
    3. What features do you need? 4K? Atmos? 7.1 or more???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Its for music and I'm looking for anything under $500 us
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2021
    If it is only for music, sell all those speakers and put the money into a better pair of full range speakers (so many choices on the used market).

Then focus on a 2-ch receiver or integrated amp. The Outlaw receiver is highly rated, but at a new price, it is above your $500 budget. They are hard to find used, but there are many other choices.

In general, I would recommend used for just about any purchase in the audio market. If you are patient and don't over pay for stuff, you can try out things and sell them at basically the same price if you find it doesn't work for you. You are usually only out shipping.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    If it's just for music, this $360 [Open Box deal on a stereo integrated] C316 BEE from NAD Electronics would be perfect. The source is highly regarded, with excellent customer service, and free shipping. You may also get 0% interest payments for three, six, or twelve months, which can lower the payment to just $30 per month.

Even better, if you can get it, would be the [C326 BEE] for $350 refurbished.

NAD integrated are famously 4Ω stable, and even rated for 2Ω, so don't be fooled by the relatively modest ratings. The internals of the C326 look particularly promising.

5mx0sz83at3o.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • MikeUp
    MikeUp Posts: 86
    edited February 2021
    I did look up your Yamaha R-S202 receiver and I agree, it should be upgraded. I checked the specs and it's one of the rare stereo receivers that are not rated to 20hz but a higher 40hz. Getting big tower speakers would be wasted on this receiver since it can't go under 40hz without attenuation.

I use to be a Yamaha Fan with several higher end Yamaha Receivers until I actually heard how much smoother and distortion/fatigue free the Denon Receivers were at higher volumes.

I use to follow magazine tests but they rarely tell the tale how they actually sound as 1 watt measurements and power outputs at 1Khz to determine distortion says little about actual use outputs.

Denon has some really affordable receivers although COVID seems to have made them raise their receiver prices compared to last years, same class, models.

I had the Yamaha R-V1103, RX-V995, RX-V2095, RX-V596, and RX-V2300. I finally compared my RX-V2300 and my RX-V2095 to a Denon AVR-3803 and found out finally how much smoother the Denon was at higher volumes and how much more dynamic the treble was while the treble sounded more elevated and compressed on the Yamaha units.

I also had reliability issues with the RX-V995, RX-V596, and RX-V2300 another issue that drove me away from Yamaha. RX-V995 transformer started buzzing really bad. The RX-V596 would not direct bass correctly for Dolby Prologic, and the Yamaha RX-V2300 had bass management issues as well.

I've have the Denon AVR-3803 in my media room system and my Denon AVR-2312ci in my main living room system. They still sound very good and I have been updating speakers for them that last few months. Media Room's Denon AVR-3803 just got the Polk Blackstone TL1600 5.1 speaker system which sounds great, and I'm updating the AVR-2312ci with Polk TSI100 main speakers and a TSI CS10 center channel speaker.

I've worked around the issues of the AVR-3803 not having HDMI by connecting everything to my 1080p TV and then feeding it's digital optical to the AVR-3803. My Blu-ray Player feeds it's coaxial output to the AVR-3803 for DTS content.

Same thing with the AVR-2312ci but I used a 4K60/HDR compatible switch box that feeds to my 4K TV, then the TV's optical output to the AVR-2312ci. I also have a 4K Blu-ray Player with an audio out only HDMI that gets fed to the AVR-2312ci while the main HDMI gets fed to 4K60/HDR compatible switch box.

Hard to want to replace either of these Denon AVRs with their great sound and power output when a cheap and effective work around exists.
    Post edited by MikeUp on
    On to new and better adventures
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Trigger79
    Trigger79 Posts: 10
    ok I found a refurbished Denon AVR-S650H-R for $299. Will this be good?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    No. As suggested, get rid of your current speakers and buy a nicer pair to mate with a 2 channel integrated amplifier.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Trigger79
    I appreciate that advice but I am happy with my speakers. I just want something to run them properly.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    But I thought you said you were going to be listening to music only? That only requires two speakers.
  • rooftop59

That’s not an upgrade from what you have, you are just moving from an underpowered 2 Channel to 5 channel receiver, but you said you only need it for 2 channel music? Why do you think it would be better.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Trigger79
    Well I listen to mostly music but I have my TV, projector and PC all run thru this. I don't really understand the difference in receivers or amps. I am just trying to enjoy what I have without the hassle of resale or buying a bunch more which I wouldn't be able to afford for a long time down the road.
  • rooftop59
    Well I listen to mostly music but I have my TV, projector and PC all run thru this. I don't really understand the difference in receivers or amps. I am just trying to enjoy what I have without the hassle of resale or buying a bunch more which I wouldn't be able to afford for a long time down the road.

Okay so then this is for music and surround sound? Is that correct?

If so, I would try to hold out until either accessories4less.com gets more inventory, or you can save up to up the budget a little. Entry level receivers sounds terrible, mid to higher end can sound pretty darn good...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Trigger79
    I can probably go up to about 8oo dollars but thats pushing it right now
  • rooftop59
    This would be a good option: https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collections/a-v-receivers-and-amplifiers/products/nad-electronics-t-758-v3-7-2-channel-a-v-surround-sound-receiver-factory-refurbished

Seems like a lot of stock is low...almost no refurbs or NOS anywhere to be found. Might have a wait a while...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    worldwide/industry-wide chip shortages :(
  • rooftop59
    I can probably go up to about 8oo dollars but thats pushing it right now

there are some good used options on ebay. Every one of my many AVRs over the years have been either used or refurbished (vast majority used) and 1-2 times i had a problem it was immediately apparent, so I just returned it for a full refund. You can purchase a 1 year squaretrade warranty with these, which is nice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Aventage-RX-A1050-High-grade-7-2-Channel-AV-Receiver/303895814229?epid=219494894&hash=item46c19a2055:g:~VUAAOSwYjdgNC2F

Something like this would be awesome, but you must be local...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-SR7010-9-2-Channel-4K-Ultra-Dolby-Atoms-Dts-x-And-Auro-3D-Receiver/254887734559?hash=item3b587e2d1f:g:YNMAAOSwgUJgP5RL
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • MikeUp
    edited March 2021

That would be an upgrade over your current receiver but skip renewed or refurbished as that could be problems. Go up a bit to a S740/50/60 and that would be a good sounding receiver. Myself I dont like the T series speakers. For only abit more expense now, the TSI series sounds excellent and I like the voicing much better than the brighter RTI series.

Myself, I'd only look at Denon or Marantz in the cheaper range. I dont care much for most other stuff and never liked NAD as they always seemed to have a lot of design flaws in bass management and other things.

Good luck in what ever you buy.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Disagree. I've bought many refurbished over the years. It just means someone else got to deal with the issues instead of you. Never a problem.
  • MikeUp
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Disagree. I've bought many refurbished over the years. It just means someone else got to deal with the issues instead of you. Never a problem.

Guess it's the luck of the draw. Every piece of refurbished electronics, except cell phones, that I've had, has failed or had poor performance. Glad its worked out for you, for me, it hasn't worked out.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• rooftop59
    MikeUp wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

Guess it's the luck of the draw. Every piece of refurbished electronics, except cell phones, that I've had, has failed or had poor performance. Glad its worked out for you, for me, it hasn't worked out.

I have also purchased plenty of refurbs over the years, can’t recall any problems. I always make sure it was refurbished by the manufacturer, and usually buy a squaretrade warranty...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Trigger79
    Thanks for the advice guys. gonna look around and see what I can find
  • Kex
    @MikeUp Concerning refurbished: it depends on the supplier.

I’ve bought refurbished harman/kardon stuff in the past, from their eBay outlet store, and it worked like new. There was a small scuff that was barely visible, and that was the only way to know that it wasn’t new. I used it for several years before replacing it, but it still works.

Anything refurbished from the Apple Store will arrive in like new condition. It will be indistinguishable from the new product, and they will still offer you a trade in value for it when it comes time to change.

The only problem I’ve ever had with refurbished items was a Dyson vacuum, which was DOA, got sent in for repair under warranty twice, and after two years, broke anyway (with the same fault as before).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    ... never liked NAD as they always seemed to have a lot of design flaws in bass management and other things.
    Not sure what you mean by design flaws, but I’ve never encountered any bass management problems. Normally, the crossover gets set to an appropriate value, speakers set to small or large, and that’s it. The model suggested above (the T758 V3) does comes with a license for Dirac Live advanced management.

As for the rest, their design philosophy is very simple and straightforward, with fewer buttons, and no silly flap on the front panel hiding a plethora of useless functions. Some people like that simplicity, others might feel that they’re missing bells and whistles.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Trigger79
    ok I found 2 that I can purchase. both denon. one is the x2700H and the other is s960H
  • rooftop59
    ok I found 2 that I can purchase. both denon. one is the x2700H and the other is s960H

On the one hand, the 2700h is 22 pounds with no preouts, which would give me pause: on the other, I had a 2311ci whoch was very very similar and I was shocked how good it sounded with both movies and music, but especially movies! So you might be happy with it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • MikeUp
    rooftop59 wrote: »

On the one hand, the 2700h is 22 pounds with no preouts, which would give me pause: on the other, I had a 2311ci whoch was very very similar and I was shocked how good it sounded with both movies and music, but especially movies! So you might be happy with it...

I have a AVR-2312ci which sounds very good and just as good as my AVR-3803 which technically has a better amp section. The AVR-2312ci current replacement is the AVR-x3700h and the AVR-3803 current replacement is the AVR-X4700h.

0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• MikeUp
    Kex wrote: »
    ... never liked NAD as they always seemed to have a lot of design flaws in bass management and other things.
    Not sure what you mean by design flaws, but I’ve never encountered any bass management problems. Normally, the crossover gets set to an appropriate value, speakers set to small or large, and that’s it. The model suggested above (the T758 V3) does comes with a license for Dirac Live advanced management.

As for the rest, their design philosophy is very simple and straightforward, with fewer buttons, and no silly flap on the front panel hiding a plethora of useless functions. Some people like that simplicity, others might feel that they’re missing bells and whistles.

I'm glad you've been happy with NAD. If it works for you, that's great. I just had different needs and wants.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Trigger79
    well I am now so broke....but I have a new x3700H coming friday