Douglas Connection Alpha Bi-Wire speaker cable review

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,599
edited February 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently purchased a 2.5m pair of Douglas Connection Alpha Bi-Wire speaker cables. These use the Furutech U-4.1T speaker cable and were terminated with the finest banana plugs Doug offers, the Furutech CF-202 rhodium plated carbon fiber banana plugs! Retail price for these cables was $1,466, but Club Polk members receive a generous 10% discount, so they cost me $1,319 plus shipping.

First, I have to say that the break-in time for these cables is a serious consideration! Even with several days time time on the audiodharma cable cooker before they were shipped, they took quite a while to settle into my system. It took 10 days of playing them for roughly 8 hours a day, so about 80 hours.

After a tumultuous break-in journey, I started hearing some of the same magic I heard from them on day one when I first put them into my system, namely the holographic midrange performance. That's easily the most noticeable element of their overall performance, the way they treat the midrange information. They put a noticable emphasis on these frequencies, as well as provided a distinct "wrap around your head" type effect along with them. This holographic presentation allowed all of the instruments and voices that reside in these crucial frequencies to expand out into their own space - putting me right in the center of it all.

Treble frequencies were extended and airy, without any glare or harshness. I noticed a certain shimmer or brilliance to the highs, perhaps from the rhodium plated banana plugs. There was discernible texture in the highs, and this is a performance attribute that I critique harshly, as I don't like "one-note" highs. I actually want to hear a cymbal strike, not just a "tssss" sound. With these cables in my system I could easily hear the detail and depth in things like percussion strikes or a saxophone or trumpet's sharp staccato attack. There was a deeper aspect to the high frequencies which I find that a lot of systems and setups aren't able to get quite right.

Bass energy was slightly reduced from what I was accustomed to. Perhaps it was a result of increased agility and speed, which made these low frequencies sound more lean than usual. My speakers were still digging as deep as always, but the overall energy level of the bass output was somewhat reduced. Another theory is that the cables slightly reduced the distortion that was previously present in these frequencies, making the bass tones sound less boomy and more well-defined. It also could be a specific reaction with my particular speakers. I've had similar experiences with reduced bass in the past when I tried MIT cables with these speakers. Perhaps they are just overly sensitive to a cable's inductance or capacitance - likely just a system synergy issue. I will have to try other speakers with these cables in the future, in order to listen to their bass performance.

Soundstaging was excellent, throwing a wide sweet spot that didn't waver when I moved my head around. Imaging performance was also above average, with each sound having its own space to expand into without overlapping adjacent sounds. Seriously impressive coherency and focus. Lastly, tonality was spot on. Jazz instruments actually sounded realistic, not like I was listening to recorded music. This is one of the hardest elements of a system's performance to nail, and I am very impressed with the perfect tone and realism that I heard with these speaker cables in my system. Very commendable performance.

I had made some upgrades to my analog XLR interconnects a week or so before I put these cables into my system. To be honest, my system was sounding so good before I put the Douglas Connection Alpha Bi-Wire cables in, that I couldn't fathom how it could get any better. It seems like these cables allowed me to realize the full performance of those other cable upgrades I had just made, as well as acting as a new reference point for my system.

Since the speaker cables are that last link between your system and your speakers, it's important to have something transparent that will allow all of your other components and cabling upgrades to shine. I feel that these accomplish that goal and set a new bar for how my system can sound. I now consider them a reference in my system.

System as tested was Tidal & Qobuz via Auralic Vega G1 -> Benchmark LA4 preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 power amp -> PMC twenty.22 speakers.

Analog interconnects are Audioquest Yukon XLR. Power cables are Shunyata Delta V2 NR from wall to PS8 distributor, on LA4, and on Vega G1. Shunyata Delta V2 XC cord on AHB2.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I’ve had Doug re-terminate cables for me with those Furutech Rhodium locking plugs and I like them a lot.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I have those same cables, except mine are terminated on the amp end with rhodium spades to accommodate my amp. They sound great on the apogee duetta 2.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    Excellent review & write up! You really go into great detail that expresses your listening experience.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Thank you, sir! Glad you enjoyed the review.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Glad Dougs doing well! I tried to call him a few months back just to see how things were going but never heard back.... he prob got smart and blocked my phone numbed lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I sure like the Alpha's with the Furutech Rhodium locking plugs I got from the karma Doug did several years ago. Mine are not bi-wire.

Nice improved sound from the Audioquest type 4's I was using.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I purchased some demo alpha bi-wire from Doug for a very reasonable price, good guy to deal with.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Not sure what series of MIT speaker cables you tried, but bass with the Shotgun series and up is one of their strong suits.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    They were the MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker Cables that I purchased from you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Ok yea, their bass performance isn't on par with the higher series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Options
    Nice review, very detailed, the way a review should be... thx!
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nice review and beautiful cables. Congrats!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    @Clipdat

Everyone of your reviews does justice to the product. Really liked this one.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Doug makes a quality product. Very nice review!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Given your positive experience with the Furutech speaker cable, it would be interesting to see how an XLR cable made from Furutech stock compares to all the AQ options you've tried.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    They were the MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker Cables that I purchased from you.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok yea, their bass performance isn't on par with the higher series.

Two dead-on, right-to-the-point, marvelous friendly replies.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2021
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Given your positive experience with the Furutech speaker cable, it would be interesting to see how an XLR cable made from Furutech stock compares to all the AQ options you've tried.

You know I thought about that, but the high prices gave me pause. I was able to get the AQ Yukons brand new for 25% off MSRP, so that made the decision easier.

I'm of course always open to trying new XLR cables (already have some others on the way!) so perhaps Doug and I could chat about some custom-made Furutech-wired XLRs in the future. I'm sure we'll be in touch. ;)
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

You know I thought about that, but the high prices gave me pause. I was able to get the AQ Yukons brand new for 25% off MSRP, so that made the decision easier.

I'm of course always open to trying new XLR cables (already have some others on the way!) so perhaps Doug and I could chat about some custom-made Furutech-wired XLRs in the future. I'm sure we'll be in touch. ;)

I'll be following. I have been using Dougs Alphas for the last couple of years. I have the full set, Speaker, RCA, XLR and Turntable. I have been very happy with them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I'm running his XLR's from my DAC1 to my Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Well one of yous take a set off and send to Drew....

😁
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Drew and I have talked about some other speaker cables for him to try out in the future. I'll add interconnects, and maybe even power cables if wants to try them out too.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Hey stranger ✋
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Yes, "Hi, Doug!"

I will only add that I converted a pair of 'Bravo' Furez RCA ICs to XLR (w/Vampire Wire plugs), and think they afforded a good value.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    Yes, "Hi, Doug!"

I will only add that I converted a pair of 'Bravo' Furez RCA ICs to XLR (w/Vampire Wire plugs), and think they afforded a good value.
    Unfortunately, Vampire Wire appears to be out of business, and I'm out of those XLR connectors. I've had orders in to them since early last year, and get no response to emails, and no one answers the phone. Their website is no longer active too. I really liked a lot of their connectors and used them quite often.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• helipilotdoug
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hey stranger ✋

Hi! I had a problem getting logged in to the Polk forum for quite awhile. Fortunately Drew was able to get a message through to Kenneth and he fixed me up, so I'm back :)
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• pitdogg2
    Options
    We missed you pal
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hey stranger ✋

Hi! I had a problem getting logged in to the Polk forum for quite awhile. Fortunately Drew was able to get a message through to Kenneth and he fixed me up, so I'm back :)

Welcome back Doug. Glad to see you.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I was also wondering what happened.

Welcome back.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.