Harmon Kardon DEAD as nails!

tx_polkhead
tx_polkhead Posts: 248
edited August 2008 in Electronics
My HK ARV230 went belly up on me. Does anyone have any magic they might share to bring this thing back to life. So far I have turned it off for 30 minutes, nothing, unplugged it overnight, nothing, done the reset by holding down the 'tone mode' button for 5 seconds,nothing. Next step was to disconnect everything check speaker wire connections and try again, nothing. I should mention that the unit powers up as normal, the display lights up, I hear the power supply give it's usual electronic click but I get no sound to any speaker and no TV display from any channel or any source! The AVR's display changes as the source changes, if I go from cd I see the display change to stereo mode with the correct speaker indicators lit up, and when I switch to DVD I see the surround mode switch to Dolby Digital and all the speaker indicators light up yet still no sound. As a last ditch effort I looked under the hood, I used the compressor to blow out the dust and found 5 fuses and they all check out (continuity test with a MM). HK Customer Servive gave me the number to their recomended service center in Dallas and they say it will be $75 to take a look at it. I bought this used from CL so spending $75 minimum on a unit I only paid $120 does not seem that wise. If you have any wisdom to share I am all ears! To top it off I just got a replacement tweeter for my Monitor 5JR+ which were to be my surrounds in my new/old theater, so here I sit all speaker and no AVR!
Thanks
Abel
Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
Post edited by tx_polkhead on

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2008
    Sadly, these HK seem to have a poor reliability record. Might be time to upgrade and sell the old one for 'parts'.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2008
    Sadly, I think your AVR has bitten the dust. I've had 2 235s and a 245 in the last 3 years. The 2 235s went **** up within the warranty period and I've had no problems with the 245. It was an ebay auction and they keep sending them to you if it's still covered. That's great and I love the sound, but I view them as a disposable piece of gear. When I'm done with this one, hopefully I'll get my dream pre/pro that will last awhile.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited August 2008
    Just like I always say, HK sucks, and I agree with Ron. It's mass produced and sold in every Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target. The high end of the low end. Dispose of it and get something better like a Marantz, Onkyo or Denon.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited August 2008
    Perhaps this is a sign from the Audio Gods to venture into separates!
  • tx_polkhead
    edited August 2008
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a sign from the Audio Gods to venture into separates!

I wish I had the cash to look into separates, for now I'll keep an eye on my local Craig's List with Marantz, Onkyo or Denon at the top of the list. It's been a week without music at home and I'm getting the shakes. Good thing the boss (me) let's me crank it up at work!
    Abel
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited August 2008
    Onkyo I would recommend. Man that sucks I though that H/K was a good name out there. I gues not.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited August 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    Just like I always say, HK sucks, and I agree with Ron. It's mass produced and sold in every Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target. The high end of the low end. Dispose of it and get something better like a Marantz, Onkyo or Denon.

I won't dispute HKs apparent poor reliability record - I've had mine worked on and swapped out numerous times.

But to say they "suck"...I wouldn't go THAT far.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited August 2008
    Guess i'm lucky, i have had my avr230 sine the first week they hit the shelfs and never had a single problem from it.
    I also have a avr247 and never had any trouble from it ethier.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I tried to replace the HK with Pio and Denon after it replaced an Onkyo. Just couldn't beat the HK SQ. Mine were ebay refurbs and for the price and the warranty, I think they are a great deal. The only AVRs I feel competes for music are Nad and Marantz and I've only heard older models that were quite a bit more expensive than the entry level HK.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I tried to replace the HK with Pio and Denon after it replaced an Onkyo. Just couldn't beat the HK SQ. Mine were ebay refurbs and for the price and the warranty, I think they are a great deal. The only AVRs I feel competes for music are Nad and Marantz and I've only heard older models that were quite a bit more expensive than the entry level HK.

I had a 247 and I loved it.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited August 2008
    I have a 335 and had a 340. Sold the 340 as there was an issue with it. The 33 has been fantastic. I would not say they suck and to say Onk and Denon are better...That would depend you can't compare top of the line model of those 2 with a 2XX HK model.
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 291
    edited August 2008
    Are HK's other components unreliable or is mostly an AVR issue? (had been eyeing one of their CD players)
    LR Setup:
    Polk RTi10's, RTi6's, CSiA6 (5 ch setup)
    Onkyo 705 & Denon 3808ci Receiver, Onk 875
    Parasound 2250 Amp
    Sony 26" KDL series Bravia LCD
    Panny DMR-EH75 Recorder
    Panny DVD-F87 (5 disk DVD player)
    NAD T585 (DVD/SACD)
    Yamaha DVD-C961 (5 disk SACD/DVD)
    SciAnt Explorer 8500HD Cable Box
    Orig & 5Gen iPods, , Wii

Plans/Fantasies:
    • 400 disk player that handles ALL formats, sounds as good as NAD with Panasonic interface & compatability.
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited August 2008
    xandra wrote: »
    Are HK's other components unreliable or is mostly an AVR issue? (had been eyeing one of their CD players)

I have an HK FL8385 (cd changer) and a DVD-27 (dvd player). Both are great units. The disc-changing mechanism of the FL8385 is a litte loud but nothing that should stop you from buying it. The sound quality is really good from it. I had to have it swapped out when i first got it because it arrived DOA (perhaps from shipping... it was UPS after all). I got mine as a refurb direct from HK for like $60 about 3.5 years ago and it has worked fine. Ditto for DVD-27 on all points except having to exchange it.
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited August 2008
    using a rehab 3485 since dec -- no issues
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited August 2008
    Onkyo I would recommend. Man that sucks I though that H/K was a good name out there. I gues not.

There was a point back bewteen 2000-2004 where many of the big names
    sent their production to China, ETC. Most of the big brands had problems.
    They had to adjust to the fact that they only got the quality they contracted for.
    Most of them, including H/K have learned the lesson and do a better job of
    policing their "cheap" production. That was a dark time for HT. Do your homework.
    If Audioreview shows a lot of dead unit **** on a model, run away. H/K had a
    lot of problem units in these years. You see them in pawn shops everywhere.
    There are a lot of good units made only a couple of years ago for sale cheap
    because they don't support HMDI. That should be your target for a cheap replacement.
    Dallas/Ft. Worth CL, as well as the BestBuy open box table are good places to look.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2008
    So the question I have is this HK issue, is it a component in which it's push to hard dying early. Or it's an issue of bad soldering? Anyone know?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• sucks2beme
    edited August 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    So the question I have is this HK issue, is it a component in which it's push to hard dying early. Or it's an issue of bad soldering? Anyone know?
    I don't know for sure, but I think three things come to mind.
    Poor design causing heat related failures. Bad solder joints.
    Bad caps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    This one really pisses me off. I had several pc boards crap out from this.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2008
    It's sounds as if they where looking to make a cheaper product by design and assembly. Where they could of said assemble this with these parts, sad as the moved they made hurt their PR.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• tx_polkhead
    edited August 2008
    The unit in question was made in Jan 2004, perhaps on the tail end of the 'dark years'. I will say it sounded quite nice while it worked, I also was the second owner (used purchase from CL). Not sure how hard it was pushed before I got it, I have a wife and two kids and only the youngest kid is on my side when it comes to cranking the volume (yep he's a chip off the ole block), so I didn't push it too hard, although it did have plenty of miles on it, I watch TV exclusively with the AVR on. I'll likely offer it 'as is needs repair' for a low price, maybe someone out there can do something with it, I found the remote on flea-bay for $65, maybe someone could use a back-up. I just ordered a deeply discounted Pioneer Elite AVR from Vanns for $299 with shipping, not sure if it's a step up or down but it will get me by till I can spend the big bucks on separates.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2008
    Sorry to hear about the HK. Getting a HK that works is a definite keeper

Can't beat HK's sound for its price
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited August 2008
    my 445 was wedding gift....i told my friends that I wanted 445.....i also like HK and it's power...but when it fails, I will get HDMI audio capable one
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Who says it will fail. I am guessing that the refurbs took care of any issues? Mine ran great. It appears to be a thing from the past. I would get another HK again.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2008
    Also got my 235 from HK's ebay store about three years ago. First one arrived with a dead channel. HK cust service was great and sent me another 235 immediately. Second 235 has been rock solid since I got it; Great receiver.

I will eventually get new HK with HDMI. HKs have excellent power and great sound and from my experience, has great warranty/customer service if something goes wrong.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • sucks2beme
    edited August 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Who says it will fail. I am guessing that the refurbs took care of any issues? Mine ran great. It appears to be a thing from the past. I would get another HK again.
    Ben

They all fail sooner or later:D
    H/k did learn from their problems. Their customer support stepped up. I have not
    heard of any "problem" models in a few years. Like I said, most of the big guys
    found lack of QC a costly mistake. Some, like Marantz, have been trying to step
    back up to being premium brand. Others, like Kenwood, slid into the black hole.
    Do they even make HT any more?
  • most likely dirty reset switch in side unit on standup module will cause constant reset
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    most likely dirty reset switch in side unit on standup module will cause constant reset

Most likely figured it out 13 years ago....
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I read the post.

Then I see the date. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Truly bizarre. Also seeing posts from a departed friend (Ben) brings a chill.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...