Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
edited February 2021 in 2 Channel Audio

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Those look sweet! Up to 45 day in home trial and $2,500 off retail sounds like a win/win! Must... resist...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Tell ya what, if you got the scratch, go for it. Might be the last SS amp you ever buy. You have a need for that much juice though ....and the individual circuits to run those bad boys ? Always loved the way Cary's sound signatures seem to tilt to the analog sounding and for a SS amp, that's not an easy achievement. Yeah, Pass can do it too and a few others but monoblocks....with that kind of power under the hood, man...you just got to try it out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I like the idea that the X250.8 is A/B design and uses very little power in standby. You rarely see these for sale in the used market and it's only because someone bought a larger Pass amp.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am in the mood for a couple new toys, but I what it to be a worthwhile move. I have been putting the funds away for a while now to make a leep forward..

The ones at TMR are the ones I have my eyes on, I also feel they would mate well with an SLP-05
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    I don't know Larry sorry to pass up a pass amp.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I agree with Tony. Something that monoblocks bring to the table that even the best stereo amps won't is move the soundstage WAY out. Especially if they are driven off separate circuits (different 120v legs coming into your house).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Why is the Retail price lower than Factory Direct? Is the Factory Direct for a pair?
    fs2rhkrp4gfo.png
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Ya I thought that was odd how they did that too. Retail is each.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• tonyb
    Options
    I believe the retail price was for each mono. The factory direct price is for a pair.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    No experience with Cary but I do know high current monoblocks mated with the 1.2tl's are extra special. Those Cary's specs seem like they fit the bill.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I had the integrated SI-300.2d awhile https://carydirect.com/catalog/product/view/id/165/s/si-300-2d/category/22/ and it was certainly no slouch. It's a powerful amp with lots of great features.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyb
    Options
    Dang, that Cary 300 is a looker. Did she sound as good as she looks ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

No question, this is where my money would be if I had those funds. Pass just plain gets music right to my ears anyway.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    How does cay get 1000 watts into 4ohms with an 850va power transformer seems kind of small.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    She did, Tony. Maybe one notch on the warm side of neutral, and very rich, full, with gobs of clean power. I could barely get those VU meter needles off zero! :D Frankly, that was one reason I decided to let it go...I couldn't let it truly sing due to proximity to neighbors. It needed to be turned-up in order to really fill-out the spectrum. It went from not quite loud enough to too loud (for my situation) with just a small turn of the dial. Perhaps with less-efficient speakers, it would have balanced itself out.
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2021
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    How does cay get 1000 watts into 4ohms with an 850va power transformer seems kind of small.

I saw that too. must not be continuous. They do have quite a large power supply reserve.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC