• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    More organ pics on request.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited February 2021
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Meanwhile, at the training camp for Phantoms of the Opera...
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    I got to play this one, made Chopsticks sound awesome!

gxrxy63il81n.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited February 2021
    You missed your chance to start a posting panini pics thread.

But... organs it is.
    Some years back (I actually don't care to think of how many) I co-chaired an "organ study committee" at our church in MA to identify a replacement for an aging and pretty crummy Rodgers electronic organ that was on death's door and didn't sound that great any way. We ended up comissioning a pipe/electronic hybrid organ from Cornell Zimmer in North Carolina. The church had terrible acoustics (still does -- it's baked into its cheezy 60s modern architecture) but the organ turned out pretty nice(ly). Lutherans like their organs to raise a ruckus and to sound good whilst doing it.

That J. S. Bach guy. Lutheran. 'nuff said. B)

pqk6qm2ojomv.png

Pipes are at the other end of the sanctuary (where the old organ used to be).
    http://www.zimmerorgans.com/portfolio-items/opus-47-mt-calvary-lutheran-church-acton-ma/

• msg
    Where does the person sit to reach with all those pedalsticks in the way?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    That was right after everyone got dammed to heck.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    Where does the person sit to reach with all those pedalsticks in the way?

They moved the bench outta the picture :)
  • msg
    Well I know that part! lol
    Organist too, apparently!

Does the bench straddle the whole pedestal or does the organist just have to reach really far(ly)?

Do all organists have to have short legs, do they saw them down to fit, or is the bench height adjustable?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    You know, I don't clearly recollect -- and it's 120 miles and a bunch of COVID regulations away, so I won't be checking up on it any time soon I'm afraid. :/

No, organists don't manifest any particular crural physiognomy ;) AFAIK (and appealing to one of the "less common" definitions of physiognomy, just to be clear). One thing I do know about organists. Every one I've ever known (which is a fair number, actually) have a special pair of shoes they wear when they play. Typically, they [the shoes, that is -- not necessarily the organists!] are both ancient and beat up. I think it has everything to do with the feel of the pedals when they play.

Famous, and famously weird, American composer -- and, ahem organist -- Charles Ives said of playing his Variations on America on the organ
    [Playing it is] as much fun as playing baseball.
    https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/static/media/uploads/Education/YPC/1617ypc02_teacherguide.pdf

https://youtu.be/-UZq09F9RR4

N.B. The decision to put the console up in the front of the sanctuary was... well... it wasn't my idea... ;)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    s2ocmxh1n9z8.jpeg

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    All this organ talk and no pics of the one at trinity church Manhatten? The organ that spawned the infamous trinity subwoofer from definitive, which, if I recall this organ used 4 of them.

93z10wwhw3yo.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    VR3 wrote: »
    All this organ talk and no pics of the one at trinity church Manhatten? The organ that spawned the infamous trinity subwoofer from definitive, which, if I recall this organ used 4 of them.

93z10wwhw3yo.jpg

Those look like Def Tech speakers. A lot of them. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Yep, when the trinity church organ was damaged in 9/11, they commissioned the work to det tech.

Sm350 monitors for the trumpet section, bp10 elsewhere and they completely designed the trinity subwoofer from the ground up to hit the lowest notes at like 120db.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    What powers the old pipe organs? Is it a pump or bellows of some sort?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited February 2021
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt

r9j2erqg4mlm.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Electricity
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Most of the pipe organs have electric blowers on them "nowadays" :)

OK, now I am gonna tell you a story... This gets really complicated -- but our church consists of two congregations "joined at the hip". One of the two has a newer (mid-19th Century) brick building with a modern hybrid organ. The other one has an older (early-19th Century) wood building with a late 19th century pump organ. This is a reed organ that can be operated by the organist by two foot pedals or by a "volunteer" :) literally pumping a handle that goes into the side (sort of like a jack handle) up and down.
    A few years ago, the foot pedals had become unreliable and the only way to use the organ was the latter method.

Fortunately, it was lovingly restored and rebuilt by a guy who does such things.

35866338614_cb58f8eeb6_b.jpgDSC_9391 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The little "pipes" on top are just for looks. :)

I actually have a video of the restorer puttin' it through its paces at the dedication -- if anyone's curious enough, let me know & I can upload it to YT or Flikr. :)

I think when you (literally) "pull out all the stops" and let that sucka rock and roll, the "volunteer" method is required to get enough airflow to keep on keepin' on.

35866339534_09f0a71e7e_b.jpgDSC_9383 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited February 2021
    Here's the one in the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

ojb83ivp7m4t.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPo2s63DAk&feature=youtu.be
    The Mighty Mo, a 3,622-pipe organ custom made for The Fox by M.P. Möller in 1929, is the second-largest theater organ in the world—bested only by the Wurlitzer organ at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

And the ceiling of the Fox Theater in Atlanta.
    go2b5st36ay3.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA