Twisted Pear ESS Sabre PRO Series DAC ES9028 - finally...

ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,553
edited January 2021 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm going to blame @SCompRacer for this. Rich got me started with some parts and I couldn't stop. Never did get the USB input to work but by cheating and using a Schiit Eitr USB to coax spdif it works just fine.

Most of this is power supply. The board in the top right with the blue light is the DAC and underneath that is the analog board.

Over to the left is the old Sansui AU222 integrated I just finished replacing all the caps in that's putting out sound now that this works.

Rather than use the wall wart for the Eitr I'm using one of the power supplies to feed it 6v of very regulated power.

The forth power supply - the one that looks like an after thought - is going to power the optical input.

qnsq8cmu2t58.jpg

Next - getting the final layout figured, putting it on some sheet metal and into a case.
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    So this is a portable unit, then?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    You can use it scuba diving. Honest... :*
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I'm going to blame @SCompRacer for this. Rich got me started with some parts and I couldn't stop. Never did get the USB input to work but by cheating and using a Schiit Eitr USB to coax spdif it works just fine.

Most of this is power supply. The board in the top right with the blue light is the DAC and underneath that is the analog board.

Over to the left is the old Sansui AU222 integrated I just finished replacing all the caps in that's putting out sound now that this works.

Rather than use the wall wart for the Eitr I'm using one of the power supplies to feed it 6v of very regulated power.

The forth power supply - the one that looks like an after thought - is going to power the optical input.

qnsq8cmu2t58.jpg

Next - getting the final layout figured, putting it on some sheet metal and into a case.

Nice Ern, heck just slap it on a hunk of Walnut and call it art.
    How do DVD-Audio's sound on it?
    Will it work on cassettes..... Under water?
  • Next, a DAC for a city?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Cmon.... ONLY 4 power supplies?

You know you need more!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    You wouldn't believe the stuff I get blamed for.....

I got a Twisted Pear ES9038 Pro so it's better by 10. :D

I'll take a look at that USB module. Might need to be flashed (with different firmware, keep the pants on), unless you already tried that. If that Amanero USB card came from Amanero, it will have the wrong firmware.

Nice goin!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    edited January 2021
    ^LOLOL

What a twisted bunch.
    [groan]
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Get them both in a room with Carl and Ed. Good gosh I'm the dunce in the corner....

Good times 😃😃😃
    All great folks and fun times.
  • ALL212
    FFS- read the values!!

That Eitr needs 6v AC, not DC. So back to wall wart. Nothing blew up and it did work (still does in spite of me).

Oops... :#
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    This is going to be the most impressive BH Crack EVER!!!!!
    Using it underwater sounds like a swimmingly good idea. I can't wait to watch you on the "Hold My Beer" or "What Could Go Wrong" Reddit.

You are a pioneer of audio greatness and bringing your craft to the jacque cousteau's of the world is a move in the right direction!

Bong Appetit B)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    edited January 2021
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I'll take a look at that USB module. Might need to be flashed (with different firmware, keep the pants on), unless you already tried that. If that Amanero USB card came from Amanero, it will have the wrong firmware.

I've got 2 of those things now as well as the TP stack that goes with them - both from TP. both reflashed a couple of times with firmware - someones firmware - some revision of someones firmware. Also tried a naked Amanero - sam sam.

When this crap blows over I'll make a journey or if you get bored and need a journey head this way.

Supposed I could strip the USB card out of the 9018 and try that? Or try stuffing an Amenero in that?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Guess what! you can also miswire the optical board and it'll still work afterwards. Why...why do people let me touch things that plug into walls... :s
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    Guess what! you can also miswire the optical board and it'll still work afterwards. Why...why do people let me touch things that plug into walls... :s

They like to watch you dance...
    Some seriously sadistic people around this site.....

😳🤣
  • msg
    That's 'cause it's only made of light, so it's either bright or dark when you mess up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2021

Supposed I could strip the USB card out of the 9018 and try that? Or try stuffing an Amenero in that?

Yes you could. The 9018 has the Sonore USB to I2S adapter. That was a fine interface. Careful with it, no longer in production.

The other thing, if you are running asynch, that is using master clock on ESS DAC board, the DPLL of the ESS can be set too narrow to accept signal from USB stack. Memory kind of fuzzy but I didn't make that up... :)

zmvob6gupewk.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    "the DPLL of the ESS can be set too narrow to accept signal from USB stack."

So I should use bigger wire...? ;)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    "the DPLL of the ESS can be set too narrow to accept signal from USB stack."

So I should use bigger wire...? ;)

Or a larger pump. :D