Taking The Plunge LCD or Plasma Recommendations!

Options
debussyj
debussyj Posts: 198
edited February 2005 in Electronics
Hi All,

Well I'm finally going to take the plunge and get my first LCD display. Hmm, my room requirements. Well the space that I can put the display is pretty limited, it's in a corner and the wall behind it is solid brick. I'd be limited to a 32" or 37" display mounted on a swivel base. Because of the size limitations, I'm leaning towards LCD. I've got Comcast HDTV, because I presently have my Sony Wega XBR hooked up to it. I also have the Denon DVD 5900, so DVI would be nice. I'm pretty open to anyone's suggestions here. Money is not an obstacle here. So far I've looked in Circuit City (yuk) nothing is set up right or balanced, etc.
The LG's and Samsungs did not move me. The Panasonic plasma was not bad. The Sharp Aquos was not bad. The Sony's, although rich in detail looked a bit washed out. I'm interested in the NEC's but have not been able to locate a place to view them. I'm also really interested in the Philips. I'm in great need of anyone's experiences or recommendations!!
Thanks!!
Post edited by debussyj on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Even though this Sharp is a little bigger, it displays a full 1080 lines of resolution. I haven't looked to see if they make a smaller one with similar resolution.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Have you tried your luck at The AVS Forum . They have lots of great information there and I'm sure that someone would be glad to help you with your decision.

Ray
  • debussyj
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks, you know I tried them, left a posting and no one responded. So I returned to my old friends here for some help.

Thanks.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Are you talking about flat panel LCD or projection LCD?
  • debussyj
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Hi,

Flat panel. I'm not into projection.

Thanks
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by debussyj
    Hi,

Flat panel. I'm not into projection.

Thanks

Okay, I agree with your washed out comment. I would go with the Sony HD plasma (don't have model number handy). It has the best shadow detail that I have seen on a plasma.

I think its KDE-37XS955

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/sony-kde37xs955.html
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited February 2005
    Options
    debussyj: I will give you my take on our current products that I sell at Ultimate Electronics.

You can wall mount most panels to brick, but you will have power cords and video cables hanging down the back of the display.

#1 pick: 32" LCD, Philips 32PF9996: Bright picture, very sharp, Best black levels I have seen to date on an LCD. Ambilite feature is a nice touch and gives the impression of a much larger picture.
    Philips ease of use takes some getting use to, they don't use an input button, instead they have you use the channel down button to access inputs located below channel 2 (very strange) Comes with a wall mount bracket, but since it needs a large mounting surface it will be harder to mount in a corner situation. Base Stand: Tilt, no Swivel. VESA compliant, so no adapter plate needed.

#2 pick: 32" LCD, Panasonic TC32LX20: Also a very bright and sharp picture. Black levels are a litte more washed than the Philips, but still better than Sony WEGA and Sharp Aquos. SD memory access and PCMCIA card slot for photo viewing. To wall mount you will need an adapter plate. I recommend Omnimounts FPAD11 adapter plate and FPCL cantalever to support the weight. This will give you maximum flexability to aim your set in any direction. Base Stand: Tilt, no Swivel.

This place has great prices on mounting brackets if you decide to go that route. I use them all the time when we are out of stock.

http://www.tvauthority.com/LCD-TV-Wall-Mounts/LCD-TV-Wall-Mounts.asp

Good luck and post some pics.

-Jer

:cool:
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."