Which ceiling speakers for Atmos??

I'm considering adding 2 ceiling speakers to my current 5.1 setup (powered by Onkyo TX-NR676) to get an Atmos setup. I've been researching for about 2 weeks and my mind is blown. With Polk alone I'm seeing the V, the LS, the MC, the RCi series. Also seeing good things about the RSL C34e's and the MDX R65's. My current setup is: s55's for L&R; s35 for center and s10's for rear surround. Room is 17x15, 8 ft ceiling, with primary sitting area against the back of the 17 ft wall. I'd plan to install these about 10-12 ft back from the front. Love my current sound so I'm a little concerned about going outside the Polk line from the little bit I've seen about timbre matching. Should I stay with a Polk option or one of those others I mentioned? If staying in Polk, which of all those different lines are the best/most appropriate? Since they're built in, I'd anticipate this being a long term relationship so don't mind spending a little more for quality. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Best Answer

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Answer ✓
    Best match for your Signature series speakers would be the V-series (V60 or V80) if looking at ceiling speakers.

Your only adding 2 speakers for your atmos right? so they will be more or less somewhat above you right (top middle position)? then v60 (or v80) should be great.

(if you are doing front heights though, i'd recommend considering Signature S10 small bookshelfs on wall mounts angled at you instead).

(Please don't ban me. Only trying to help)

Answers

• Forgot to mention I'm also running a Polk PSW10 sub.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Forgot to mention I'm also running a Polk PSW10 sub.

I think a better sub would add more impact over more speakers. JMHO...
  • Yeah, a new sub is on the future list too.
  • Perfect! Thanks for the advice Topper dude!
    Yep, only doing 2 Atmos (that's all my receiver supports and not ready to open that can of worms). Plan to position them as you mentioned, above/just slightly to the front of the listening area. Being a 17 ft deep room with the couch against the back wall, my thought was to come forward about 4-6 feet from the back wall & 2-3 ft from the side walls. Hopefully that would give us good coverage for the back couch (primary listening area) as well as the 2 couches going down both side walls (where the kids hang). Does that sound about right to you?
    Thanks for the advice/guidance!
  • Any chance you can post a layout of the room to better visualize?
  • cam7bmmxy0sv.jpg
    uvywok33gz4l.jpg

Hopefully the pics comes through (new to this forum thing!).
    It's a little hard to see because it's dark in here but basically in 1 pic I'm sitting in the primary listening position. The other pic I snapped from the TV looking into the room. Where I'm considering placing the ceiling speakers would basically be about the mid-way point from ceiling fan to the back wall. That would put them about 1ft in front/overhead of the back couch.
    Left tower is behind the little foosball table that we move in and out of the room, along with my new sub (happened to get a great deal on Amazon for the HTS-12 this week!..$100 off). You can't see my right tower in the pic but it's just to the right of that little bookcase (the door is open 90% of the time and would block it if I moved it immediately to the right of the TV). The s35 is on the cabinet right below the tv.
    Thanks for your thoughts!