Leather Chair Reconditioning

Options
Hey all. I came across this sweet leather chair and am looking for tips on making it as nice as possible. As you can see it has been well loved, but it seems like a great quality furniture and the price was right. The brand is McKinley Leather.

After a fair amount of research, I’m leaning towards using Furniture Clinic products. Cleaner, recoloring balm and a protectant cream.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!
Paul

ioiwplfa3cay.jpeg
qtjgvo08hsuy.jpeg
q96ar2ugnii7.jpeg
366qm0h1mcbn.jpeg
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Your ideas sound great. I was going to say that I use exclusively Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my auto interiors and live room set. No issues ever. And Toyota and Lexus recommend them Good luck. Keep us posted. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,442
    Options
    This sounds like a job for @John Megadeth!

I used to use Lexol (still do for some stuff), but when I got my first pair of Keen boots, I started reading about the NIKWAX leather care products. Better product selection, and different performance in each.

I tried one of their products to recondition a pair of Timberland chukka boots from the 90s, long out of production. Lexol, saddle soap, mink oil - you name it - none of them worked very well, despite multiple applications. The NIKWAX product seems to rehydrate the leather and restored supple feel. Just something else to look into if it requires more help, but this chair may only need light attention.

How's the cushioning? I wonder if an upholstery shop may have some recommendations for you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Haha, hey Paul, disregard my notes about reconditioning 25yr old boots, as they are most likely not applicable. I just got carried away when I saw leather reconditioning.
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    https://www.furnitureclinic.com/leather-care-products/leather-complete-restoration-kit

These folks seem like the have a lot of good products and information. I’m leaning towards this at the moment.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've seen softer skin on a 70 yr old sunbathing hag. Good luck! :D
  • msg
    Options
    Got a good long look didja?
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I've seen softer skin on a 70 yr old sunbathing hag. Good luck! :D

Wow.... that’s pretty harsh words. I didn’t think Russ @lightman was 70 yet.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Just cover it with a chair doily. Be done with it.
  • hochpt21
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Well, it’s been a slow moving project, but the ottoman is complete. It’s not perfect, but I’m happy with the result. Now onto the chair which is another animal.

I ended up finding a company online called furniture clinic. I bought a package that had a cleaner, re-colorant and a conditioner.

The result was nice, but then I found a product called Blackrock Leather N Rich, which I added at the very end. It’s basically another moisturizer/conditioner.

A number of applications and a good amount of wait time, but it seems to have paid off.

Untouched
    5te30a9c5ueb.jpeg

After the cleaner (it cleaned most of the ottoman, but actually darkened the main stain for some reason)
    8jxm6601unim.jpeg

One coat of the colorant
    amhmnro4npbc.jpeg

I then added another coat of the colorant, the furniture clinic conditioner and the black rock forgetting to take pictures between each step like an idiot, but here is the final product.
    xry04oq0sl7t.jpeg
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,055
    Options
    Wow. You did a really good job!!! Finished product looks awesome.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • hochpt21
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Wow. You did a really good job!!! Finished product looks awesome.

Thank you
  • CottageChz
    Options
    That’s pretty cool, nice work! It is really satisfying to recondition something like that when it turns out well.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,694
    Options
    Nice rework of the Ottoman. Agree, the chair will probably need new cushioning. Daunting task and I'd have to admit that for me, plastic would be the only solution ....(as in Visa or MasterCard at the local furniture gig)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    I just got some of the Blackrock. Going to try it out. That ottoman likes nice
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    @hochpt21 ....

Look PHENOMENAL! Can’t wait to see the chair.

I’d love to take on a project like that, I just don’t have a place for something like that :frowning:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)