Kinda vintage(?) question: Polk Audio rta8tl value?

Options
Our son, the mathematician, has a love for antique stores, thriftstores, junk shops, and book shops.

I guess he was out thrifting today.
He reported to me that he saw a pair of "polk audio rta8tl speakers" ( according to his testimony) someplace that appeared to be in "nice condition" (again, in his words).

I know nothing about these so I wondered if they were worthy and/or what a good price would be (i.e., a worthiness-adjusted price, if you will)? :)

Mind you, he brought me a pair of KLH Sixes when he came home for Christmas :)
(Now I have two pairs of KLH Sixes...)

Thanks!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I loved the sound from the pr. I had. I don't remember if they were a TL version though.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I sold mine for 100.. on feb.19th 2009. They were the TL version after all. :D

The buyer loved their sound too.

Don't remember what I paid.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i had some 4-5 years ago. Sounded pretty good. Could have sounded better had i hooked them to a amplifier with more power. I used the Yamaha cr1040 to test before i sold em off. Cfrizz would know more if i remember she had/has some for years n loved em. Price id say 200mint & 100-125decent less would be awesome
    Randy/Maine
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I had the RTA-8T's. I couldn't tell you how much they are worth now, but if you give them good power, they will show you what they can do. But I will also say that they can't hold a candle to my S60's now.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I have some rta8tl's that I bought for 5 bucks and a pair of rta8t's that I bought for 20, go figure.

Shut up, you! :*:p
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    As for the initial question at hand: @boston1450 is on the money, so to speak.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    You sure don't see many of the "tl" versions around, not that it really matters I suppose. I believe they had that one odd-ball driver Polk only put in that model, MW6516, if memory serves.

Older Polks are really all over the board, at this point, price-wise. Here, I see 2 pairs of the "t" versions on Craigslist and the priciest pair is $120, I believe...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Do the MW6516's dig deeper than the Non -TL versions?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • smglbrth
    Options
    I don’t have the specs for the “tl” and have never heard them so I have no clue...
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    This document explains some of the changes made from the RTA-8T and 11T to the TL versions.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • xschop
    Options
    ^^ Very good read, Thank you^^
    I wonder what Polk did differently to the 8TL cabinet bracing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    This document explains some of the changes made from the RTA-8T and 11T to the TL versions.

Thank you!

My son must think I am nuts...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    skrol wrote: »

Thank you!

My son must think I am nuts...

hmm...nope. not gonna go there ;)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I have seen them around $100 - $200 depending on location and condition etc etc.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • xschop
    Options
    They're decent speakers, the only real issue I had with them was port noise at higher volume.

Was that on T or TL version?
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    They're decent speakers, the only real issue I had with them was port noise at higher volume.

This is where I trot out my tired old joke about port noise complaints.

:|

lqpfusju0oli.png

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Our son, the mathematician, has a love for antique stores, thriftstores, junk shops, and book shops.

Huh....wondering how many times your parents said that, Mark. :)

How did this turn out? What happened with the “new” speakers?
  • smglbrth
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    ^^ Very good read, Thank you^^
    I wonder what Polk did differently to the 8TL cabinet bracing.

I was kinda wondering that as well. I've had mine apart and there is, like, no cabinet bracing to speak of in the 8t's. It's pretty much a rectangular box, with a plastic port tube in the bottom...
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »

Huh....wondering how many times your parents said that, Mark. :)

How did this turn out? What happened with the “new” speakers?

Actually, I didn't discover the cheap outlets until I was middle-aged, although I did buy my first ever reel to reel deck (Sony TC-352D) for $50 (if memory serves) from a classified ad in the Baltimore Sun ca. 1977 :)

No new speakers here, yet -- unless one counts the ELACs (which are actually "new")... those are doing fine and playing VPR as I type this, quaffing coffee. I'm quaffing coffee, not the loudspeakers. Just to be clear. :|

http://digital.vpr.net/#stream/0
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Years ago, I had a hankerin' for a pair of 8TL--nearly drove to IN from IL to pick up a pair from Noel (ND13--add him to the list of Polkies we don't see around any longer!)

I hemmed and hawed long enough that a more local pair of RTA 11TL fell into my lap. Still would like to have/hear a pair. Below/around $100 in nice shape I'd get very interested.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • xschop
    Options
    If you swap in new 33uf Caps instead of the 34uf, will that change freq to both MWs higher or lower?
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited January 2019
    Options
    To be honest, the original caps are not very tight tolerance. If they were 5%, the 1uf difference is well within the tolerance. You likely wouldn't hear any difference. I believe they actually used 10% tolerance caps.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Years ago, I had a hankerin' for a pair of 8TL--nearly drove to IN from IL to pick up a pair from Noel (ND13--add him to the list of Polkies we don't see around any longer!)

I hemmed and hawed long enough that a more local pair of RTA 11TL fell into my lap. Still would like to have/hear a pair. Below/around $100 in nice shape I'd get very interested.

In my experience the 11's were better.
    Have heard them side by side, and the deep bass is just better for sure with the 11's but otherwise sound fairly close.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    So -- the titular RTA8TL loudspeakers just made the trek northward and are sittin' in the hifi loft even as I type this, being driven by a Yamaha CA-800 integrated amplfier and sounding quite nice. Quite nice.

Vintage Polk & Vintage Yamaha. Never a bad idea.

Quite cobbled together at the moment -- will share a photo when things are more presentable.

• xschop
    Options
    Does anyone have the TS parameters for the MW6516's?
  • xschop
    Options
    Just answered the SL2500 magnet fitment question. Matches Sl2000, not RDO bolt pattern.