New member, back to Polks

Options
Just wanted to drop a note as a newbie to this awesome forum. I started back in the 90s with a pair of Monitor 5s, then upgraded to a pair of LS70s. Then came kids and family, and there went the stereo. Now both kids are in college and with working from home I've gotten back into my audio hobby. I'm currently running a Sherwood S-7910, Marantz CD-67SE cd player and a recently-acquired pair of Monitor 5jrs - I need to do some digging to find out which version they are. I have to pick up some stands but the juniors are perfect for my small office. They could probably use a cap and resistor refresh to really make them sing but that will have to wait until after the holidays.

At any rate, from my recent lurking this is a great group of folks and I'm glad to be here.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Welcome, and welcome back!
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Put up some photos front and back with grills removed and the great folks here will identify which model you have
  • rhdad42
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Put up some photos front and back with grills removed and the great folks here will identify which model you have

I did some digging on here and determined I've got the original 5jr with the port and the SL2000 silver coil tweeters (I removed one to make sure). Once I get them up to the proper height I'll listen to them for a while to see what I like/what I don't like, and then figure out how to move forward.

And I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm really tempted to move away from the Sherwood and the 70s look to something in the transitional late-80s/early-90s era with the digital readout (think of the JVC R-S77, for an example).
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    The Sherwood S-7910 was a decent unit if memory is correct. Something like 50 per channel but it put out more then it was rated for. I would keep the Sherwood over the JVC. The JVC might look better but again, if my memory is correct the 7910 sounded better.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    e5365gwsmaaw.jpg
    THIS IS WHAT I DID TI MY 5JRS.f2cc3arjqjm9.jpg

Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Those would be 5jr+ that have the passive.
  • rhdad42
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yeah, mine do not have the passive radiators.
    dx8a00jsf0es.jpg
    (please disregard the temporary wires/stands)
  • 1972wayne
    Options
    Hi , would anyone happen to know where I could get two tweeters for a Polk VR-30 speaker? Thanks
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    rhdad42 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yeah, mine do not have the passive radiators.
    dx8a00jsf0es.jpg
    (please disregard the temporary wires/stands)

those sure are clean.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.