Exterior Lights...Who Done’m?

Options
mrbiron
mrbiron Posts: 5,711
edited December 2020 in The Clubhouse
This was the first year I’ve ever done exterior lights. Made provisions for it when building the house...NOT!

The only foresight I had was to make the porch outlet switched. Dumby... :(

My wife said that she had a dream where I fell off the ladder and died while hanging lights. In a former life, I painted exteriors and spent many’a day on 24s ands 32s, but when the 32’ couldn’t reach, out came the 42’. That one makes your butt pucker.

Anyone else?

d04763txb0b2.jpeg
ubwoyc2jch4u.jpeg

wug1a0kloyca.jpeg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!

Comments

• mrbiron
    Options
    I plan to do more next year. Mainly, the perimeter of the garage doors.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options
    Yup!

Done ’em before & still doin’ ’em!

Mine are all on HomeKit controlled outlets, so Siri turns them on and off according to sunset times, and other programmed events. Painless, and can be monitored from anywhere in the world too.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Had to crop it as my street was showing.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Those look great!
    Me I’m terrified of ladders so we got a nativity scene and those laser pointer projector things.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Willow
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thank you. Most of them are permanent lights that are controlled via an app. Pretty much invisible. We had them installed early November. Pretty much any color, pattern you can think of.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have exterior lights all year and Xmas lights during the season. My house is pretty much wired for them via Lutron in-wall timers. Rather easy. Just plug them in and go.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Not this year. I need to buy new lights since my previous strands bit the dust.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Not this year. I need to buy new lights since my previous strands bit the dust.

Previous? Like, the ones you light band hand?

:D
  • mrbiron
    Options
    @Willow
    I think I’m reading it right. You had someone install the lights? How did the get to your gable end? Ladder or cherry picker?

I want to do the high section myself, but things might get a little squirrelly going it solo...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    91rc1a30teea.jpg

Why that doesn't look like Canerdia at all....
  • Willow
    Options
    Nope looks like a green Christmas this year
  • Willow
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    @Willow
    I think I’m reading it right. You had someone install the lights? How did the get to your gable end? Ladder or cherry picker?

I want to do the high section myself, but things might get a little squirrelly going it solo...

Yes, a local electric company installed the lights with a cherry picker. The lights are Gemstone ( a Canadian company from Alberta) there are a couple installers around for different light companies and they are fully booked up here for quite some time. For my daughters bday in Jan she wants it all lit in pink. For vday it'll be purple pink and red I think. Canada day red and white... so on and so on.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    @Willow

Yes, a local electric company installed the lights with a cherry picker. The lights are Gemstone ( a Canadian company from Alberta) there are a couple installers around for different light companies and they are fully booked up here for quite some time. For my daughters bday in Jan she wants it all lit in pink. For vday it'll be purple pink and red I think. Canada day red and white... so on and so on.

That looks and sounds awesome. On that note, i know i can't afford it. :D
    I want to say that i am done for this year, but the more i look at your photo, the more i want to do the garage doors. Already have an order to get more lights here, stat!

On a side note, how many times have you contemplated shooting the street light in the upper right hand corner?
  • Willow
    Options
    @Willow

That looks and sounds awesome. On that note, i know i can't afford it. :D
    I want to say that i am done for this year, but the more i look at your photo, the more i want to do the garage doors. Already have an order to get more lights here, stat!

On a side note, how many times have you contemplated shooting the street light in the upper right hand corner?

Street light..all the time. Especially in the summer while we try to have night swims
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options

On your house, I would suggest focusing on the veranda more than the garage. You don’t have to kill yourself either, just lighting up those wonderful columns would go a long way to adding extra appeal. Also possibly automation. I never touch mine from the first day until the last. Everything happens on its own, even in the event of a power cut (which usually screws up timed light sensors and stuff, but not HomeKit, which just picks up where it left off when power is restored).
    Alea jacta est!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2020
    Options
    3vxn6e2lkbzw.jpeg

2536e1v0e387.jpeg

Not finished. I did the hard part. The “wimin*” gatta do the railings.
    *women
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Great looking lights on your house Willow!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Willow
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Great looking lights on your house Willow!

Thank you very much