Disney Ramps up Star Wars and Marvel Franchises

Kex
Kex Posts: 4,892
The company said that its upcoming films Peter Pan & Wendy and Tom Hank's Pinocchio will be launched directly onto Disney+, skipping theatres.

Disney has unveiled plans for a major expansion of its Star Wars and Marvel franchises on its Disney+ subscription streaming service.
Alea jacta est!

Comments

• ATT is doing the same thing. Warner Brothers will release its entire 2021 film slate on HBO Max.
  • Kex
    In other news, Disney+ will be raising its subscription price to $8 in March (still below many services, that are $10)... which sent the share price soaring — well, also because they now estimate they will triple their subscriber base by 2024.
    CFO Christine McCarthy shared that Disney expects losses from Disney+ to peak in 2021, and expects the service to achieve profitability in 2024. By that year, Disney expects to be spending between $14 billion and $16 billion on original content.

Disney+ currently has 87 million subscribers. Projects 230-260 million globally by 2024.

Disney News
    Alea jacta est!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    The amount of content Disney announced the other day that will go direct to stream is HUGE! With HBO Max's announced lineup starting on Dec 25th with Wonder Woman 1984 and throughout 2021 with major movie releases is shifting the entire landscape. Covid played a big part in accelerating it all.

I had liked, for the most part, going to the theater for a big movie release, but if I have the option to stay in the comfort of my home and stream it in 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos, then the choice is clear for me. I cut the cord recently and went with internet only. 400mb internet via FIOS for $55 / month. I have Prime, Disney + and HBO Max right now. I may add Netflix back in at some point.

I would think this is good for the electronics industry since people will want to beef up their entertainment systems at home.

Bring it on!
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad wrote: »
    The amount of content Disney announced the other day that will go direct to stream is HUGE! With HBO Max's announced lineup starting on Dec 25th with Wonder Woman 1984 and throughout 2021 with major movie releases is shifting the entire landscape. Covid played a big part in accelerating it all.

I had liked, for the most part, going to the theater for a big movie release, but if I have the option to stay in the comfort of my home and stream it in 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos, then the choice is clear for me. I cut the cord recently and went with internet only. 400mb internet via FIOS for $55 / month. I have Prime, Disney + and HBO Max right now. I may add Netflix back in at some point.

I would think this is good for the electronics industry since people will want to beef up their entertainment systems at home.

Bring it on!

I hope that is true.

Howevah

Since most people aren't audiophiles and don't know much of anything about this stuff (and don't care) Soundbar sales may be going through the roof!! :s:#
  • Kex
    ⬆️ And Sonos... ⬆️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Soundbar sales are already through the roof. I'm thinking a small percentage who might not have thought about a fairly nice system might be inclined to go forward with it now.

Awesome Jedi Bears!
    No excuses!
  • Kex
    Hey, sound bars may not be at the pinacle of audio nirvana, but remember when many households were content to use the stereo speakers on the their TV 📺 ?! 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2020
    Hail.
    I remember when TV was mono, and the receivers had tubes in 'em (and not just the CRT)...

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Kex wrote: »
    Hey, sound bars may not be at the pinacle of audio nirvana, but remember when many households were content to use the stereo speakers on the their TV 📺 ?! 😱

Interestingly, I find myself listening to the cable music channels with my Samsung sound bar more than I use my stereo. It surprises me how good it sounds, but it is lacking in room filling sound.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    ⬆️ Ha! ⬆️

Just because of lack of available time to sit down and really listen, 80% of my music entertainment comes from a HomePod — and it is surprising how good it is. I’ve been intending to get a second one to see how much that would improve it. According to reviews, a single HomePod is equal to some of the less sophisticated Sonos systems.

The other 20% tends to be with AirPods... 😬 😂
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Sorry! 😬
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited December 2020
    According to this analysis, more price rises will be on the way, and not just from Disney+
    Fans of Disney+ will have roughly 10 new series from Marvel and Star Wars alongside a cornucopia of other content.
    Someone has to pay for all that content -- and that someone is probably you, the customer. If Disney wants to achieve its forecast of hitting profitability in fiscal 2024, it has to raise prices.

Streaming is about to get a lot more expensive

Personally, I like to switch active streaming services on the fly regularly. This is easy from the subscription section of AppleTV on an iPad (or AppleTV - but I prefer having a full size keyboard on my iPad to make the switches). I can reactivate Amazon Prime, or CBS All Access, or Disney+, and others, or deactivate them at will. I usually have at least two services active at any given time.

For that reason, Netflix is my least used service, because they force you to log on to their website to make changes, so I just don’t reactivate the service ever. Previously, it was possible to activate and deactivate from AppleTV, but not any longer. I would assume that it’s the same for other interfaces.

P.S. I gave up on cable/satellite years ago, must be close to ten years. I would never go back to watching anything that forced me to watch commercials, or have to manually record content.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Don’t get me wrong here, I think streaming services are great.

Howevah

The bit rate of just the audio codec coming off a Blu-Ray or 4K Blu-Ray disc is higher than the bit rate of the video and audio COMBINED coming from most of the streaming services.
    This is akin to comparing an SACD to an MP3 of the same recording!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2020
    I just watched Gemini Man with Will Smith. The 4k 60fps recording of the movie made for a much higher bit rate than I've ever seen on my Oppo 205.
    4k discs usually run about 50-60 mbps. Gemini man was never lower than 83mbps mostly hovered around 88-90 mbps.

This one will be severally compressed to stream I would think.
  • Kex
    Yah...

I get the bit rate argument and all that, but at the end of the day, the more I watch, the happier I am. If I hold out for buying physical media, I’ll never watch nearly as many movies (or shows) as streaming. Also, I can’t load ’em up on an iPad to watch while flying (which I prefer to the built in entertainment - which gets interrupted randomly for announcements). At this point, I don’t think I’ll ever buy physical media again. Last time was about three years ago

Sometimes, perfectionism gets in the way of things. 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Hail.
    I remember when TV was mono, and the receivers had tubes in 'em (and not just the CRT)...

Oh yeah? Well I remember when TV's were carved out of stone!

Oh wait, maybe that was an episode of Fred Flintstone.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus