PSW404 Very Quiet Regardless of Source

Options
Kia Ora from New Zealand!

Just wired up a PSW404 that was given to me as hand-me-down, only to find that it is very quiet.

The light turns on, the cone is moving, the dial adjusts the volume & the heatsink on the back heats up quickly but the sound doesn't get above 20db.

I have tested with multiple sources and the problem still persists, so I assume there is an issue with the amplification circuit.

If it is the amplification, I am fairly comfortable opening it up and replacing a couple of components (presumably a capacitor) but before I do, I am looking for advice on what the best course of action should be?

I know that Polk can send out replacement amplification circuits but that seems a bit wasteful when one part could be the issue?

What do people think the broken part will be? My guess is the main capacitor since there is clearly a large amount of power flowing through the amp with how quickly the heatsink heats up.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello Kia,
    Welcome to Club Polk!
    Have you tried to connect a CD or DVD player directly to the subwoofer? Turn the sub's volume down first then RCA cables to inputs and slowly turn up the volume. There should be plenty of bass at the 8:00 o'clock setting of the volume.