How to build a 2.1 small sound system for PC?

Options
I'm looking to upgrade my 2.1 sound system for my computer, and I was wondering any recommendations on using Polk as the brand for build. The office is small and I'll sitting the speakers on the table, and for sub I would like to find some small under 11 inches wide.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Answers

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    One of the members here used the Polk Blackstone TL3 speakers with a sub to pleasing results if I remember correctly.

Are you looking for speakers and sub from the current Polk lineup, or from any time?

Do you have a budget or space constraints.

How do you plan to drive the speakers? Will you also need an integrated amp or receiver?

If you're open to expanding outside of Polk, you might consider powered monitors. There are several brands out there and most offer an option for integrating a sub. The benefit of powered monitors is that you wouldn't need a separate receiver, maybe just a separate DAC if you prefer.

I disabled signatures.
  • mhweb
    mhweb Posts: 16
    Options
    I currently have a Boston 2.1 PC speakers setup that have more than 17 years, and they still sound nice for what it is, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I was originally planning getting the YU4 from Kanto, but the speakers and sub the price goes up to around $650, which seems a little expensive.

So, then I was watching some reviews about powered speakers on YouTube, and the person was saying that speakers can last decades, but amps usually don't, so he was hopping the amp built into the speaker was going to last. So this got me thinking, or going with regular speakers and tiny amp for PC.

I would ideally like to stay in the $400 range for the setup.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I might have a similar Boston Acoustic 2.1 setup. I ordered mine with a Gateway computer in the late 90s. It's a pretty nice sounding little set. I set mine up in the garage with a Squeezebox Touch for an out-of-the-way system. I liked it so much that when I needed speakers for a space at work, I went looking for a used set, and happened to find a some locally. Needed some work, though. The woofer surrounds in the sub were foam, and they rot over time.
    tn4u3l0xazh3.png

Okay, yeah, the Kantos are on that list of powered monitors I was talking about. There's also Edifer and Audioengine to consider, but the Audioengines are pretty pricey. Presonus is another brand to check out.

You can try an Edifer model from Amazon for around $100. I don't have any experience with these, but they look interesting. I think @WLDock might have some experience with powered monitors and near field interests.
    https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA

To build a desktop system with more conventional components, you might consider the Polk S15 or S10. The S15s might be a little big for a desk.

I think 2.1 would still be a good plan. I doubt you'd get a satisfyingly full enough sound if you go with speakers only.

Round it out with an entry level sub for some low end, or keep an eye out for something a little better on the used market. This system might not be the most refined, but it can still be a lot of fun. If you get a better sub that should tighten things up and make it better without just being a rumbly mess.

How's your local used market look for audio gear?
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I've never owned the Edifier products but had a chance to demo some of their stuff. They make some nice stuff.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have the Edifier R1280T.
    Surprisingly nice sound for the size.
    It also comes in bluetooth version.
    With a sub, it'll be even better.

Look at Samson rubicon 5a.
    I have these as well and man these can move air.

Like you, I also used 2.1 system for a long time, an Altec Lansing ATP3.
    I have that since 2005 or so and pretty decent sound.
    It's still working but left volume is lower than the right so probably need to toss it.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.