Question regarding a seller for Cary 805AE monoblocks

I have a question - a member from here, @scotty765 texted me via PM this morning that he knew a guy selling a pair of 805AE monoblocks.
He gave me his email.

I didn't click on scott's username initially but I did afterwards, looks like this scott is a new guy and was banned.

I did reach out to the guy he texted me the email of, I don't know if this guy is legitimate.
It's not my first time around the block and I can smell a rat if I had to.

Something's off.

Anyone know this @scotty765?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    See email exchange below:
    if74ulk73mzs.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    It's a scam, Joey. I had Ken ban him earlier today. He tried some bs with me too:

65rauzdaj2ah.png
  • Joey_V
    Ahh... perfect.

I may be a doctor, but I’m not that stupid.

He can’t provide pictures... something is off.

Thx man
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Man! I'm glad I clicked on this. He contacted me as well and told me to contact Jeffrey about Jazz SACD's.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Yeah, he gave a really good price on the 805ae... I wasn’t prepared to buy because of all the analog expenses but I couldn’t refuse if it were real.

Sad really.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    It sounds like he was trying to do you a heckin.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Yea, he tried to sell me a Cary SLP-03 via PM as well. I didn’t even respond
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    He had cables for me. Even though the thread says that I found some and made a deal with Ivan.

What a loser.

If you're reading this get a job and make something of yourself.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited November 2020
    Dudes been trolling and seeing all you guys wants and aspirations and cooked up a plan ...

Makes ya wonder how many other places took the bait?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    I feel left out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    msg wrote: »
    I feel left out.

Don't feel bad about that.

He PMed me this morning and tried to sell me an Erik Estrada autographed motorcycle jacket that contained "residual perspiration stains". :o
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    lqrnltenh2nh.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Msg I have a set of Krell monoblocks still NIB that I'm selling because I can't figure out how to get them out of the box.
    I can't send any pics right now because I'm at the vet getting Fluffy dewormed.
    I'm selling them at $150 per mono. If you want pics of Fluffy's deeworming it'll be $160.
    Let me know. If I don't hear from you soon I'll have to let them go for $180 to Viking who requested some additional "special" photos.
    Sal Palooza
  • Joey_V
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dudes been trolling and seeing all you guys wants and aspirations and cooked up a plan ...

Makes ya wonder how many other places took the bait?

The price was really good and I was like uhh... and then he said he wanted quick payment. I was like slow your horses man, tell me about the unit, why are you selling, how old, I need someone to vette you, are you on the forums, do you have an audiogon handle?

Then I got some vague pic of the amps and I was like something ain’t right so I went back to my inbox and checked up on who is this @scotty765 and found out he had zero posts and I knew it was too good to be true.

Told the guy not interested but thanks.

It’s always better to leave on good terms than to stir the pot. You never know what kind of person you got on the other end.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,255
    edited November 2020
    Not only did this dood have some familiarity with some users' likes and wants, he also chose a name close to another user of established reputation.
    "Scottyboy76". He hasn't been on for a couple of years so he wouldn't be around to say " Hey, that ain't me".
    Bought some FX's off him and he was definitely good to go.

Scotty765 is/was familiar with the territory and occupants.
    Just sayin'. 😨
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    I wonder if he has a pair of Acapella Sphäron Excalibur speakers as I really, really, really want them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    F1nut wrote: »
    I wonder if he has a pair of Acapella Sphäron Excalibur speakers as I really, really, really want them.

I have a pair to sell you...name your price
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    AOL.....that right there!
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 698
    edited November 2020
    I got a pm from someone “new” as well regarding someone who has an A-1 interconnect for sale ....

Looks like he was searching the WTB forum ...

Bk

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Got the same type of contact. A newb asking to be emailed directly = scammer. At least nobody is out any money. Though your e-mail spam is probably going to increase exponentially.