Are the S60 worth it if I have s20, s30, and sub

mhweb
mhweb Posts: 16
edited November 2020 in Speakers
I have a 5.1 system with 4 s20 and s30, I was thinking to upgrade the left and right speakers for the S60. However I read that with a sub you don't need S60. Will I get any benefits upgrading?

Answers

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    What sub do you have?

What % of use is for movies vs music?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhweb
    edited November 2020
    Monolith 10 inch Powered Subwoofer, 90 movies 10 music. @hochpt21 thanks
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited November 2020
    If you like the way the S20s are set up now it may be a better idea to spend money to get a second Monolith 10" subwoofer if your receiver has two subwoofer outputs and the ability to do room correction for two subwoofers. Better room balance and impact possible for movies that way.

How are the front S20s set up now? On stands, on a shelf, in a cabinet?

The S60s may or may not have a fuller mid-range in room than the S20s for music.
  • mhweb
    I don't have space for another sub. The s20 are on table below the tv. @Emlyn
  • mhweb
    I guess my question really is if the S60 will really change my life in audio when compared to the s20 I have now. The main reason I was thinking on getting them was because of a deal I found. @Emlyn @hochpt21
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Not really a life changing option. The S20s are considered to be pretty large for bookshelf speakers. Some people even prefer big bookshelf speakers over floor standing speakers in some situations for their simplicity and less complex crossovers.
  • mhweb
    Thank you, I'm still new to audio, so your answer helps! @Emlyn
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2020
    Mostly movies? Spend the money on a second Monolith. How is that sub anyway in your opinion?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited November 2020
    I’m not familiar with that sub, but my thought was upgrading sub if mostly for movies.

If you have the opportunity to upgrade to the 60’s for a good price, do it. Otherwise, save for an upgrade in sub/receiver or something else.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited November 2020
    Possible alternative route: As posted by @Dabutcher, the S55 speakers are on sale for half price at Best Buy and Amazon is matching.
  • mhweb
    @Emlyn I made a mistake I have the s15 not the s20, what you said about not making a big difference still applies to these speakers? Thanks