Which monitor 7

Options
I got these as free and appear a bit beat up. Have not tried yet. Only ID I have is on back is tag that says Monitor Series and stamped into it is " 7 16831 "
I would like to know what I have before delving into them. There are no fuses on back. There might be three probe holes next to the speaker terminals.
I would like to make sure I don't blow my Yamaha currently pushing a pair of Pioneer CS-C9900 on the front pair.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Mine are marked 7 19XXX with a small tag on the XO cup and are 7B's with the one tweeter protector fuses. I know that very early 7's even had 2 fuses, one tweeter and one system. The 3 holes are where the fuse block would've been. It is possible that someone removed the fuse block. Take out the XO and look. Just put up a picture of front and back, with and w/o grille and you'll get ID from us probably immediately. I don't know for sure if they started over with the serial #'s when they went to a new model of 7, but I believe they did. There was the 7, 7A, 7B, 7C, and Series II afaik. After the 7B they had no fuse and used a polyswitch on the XO pcb. I'd guess that you have the Series II.

Also, tell us what model of Yamaha you have.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • subkron
    Options
    My 7Bs have an approximate 1x3 inspection label above the XO cup, labeled as 7B, one fuse for tweeter and SNs 15193/15232.