New owner of SDA-2 speakers. Are they right for a bar? Amp advice

Options
Hi guys!

I just bought 2 mint condition (at least it appears so) SDA-2 speakers. The 6-drive edition.

I am opening a traditional greek bar/kafeneio in the island of Ikaria and I want to use these speakers to play quality music, mainly Jazz and Reggae.

I would like to ask you some questions?

1) Do you think these speakers are the right choice for a place like that?
2) Can they play in low volumes outside?
3) Can I use them without the interconnect cable? (It wasn't included).
4) What amp under 500$ would you suggest?
5) Was this a dumb impulse buy?

Thanks a lot guys!

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Most members' listening rooms are basically bars.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Shaken, not stirred!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • chriono
    Options
    I can't stop looking at these things, they're awesome. I bought them for 200€, Ι hope it's not too much. I'm waiting on cables from a friend to test them on a small receiver, as we are in lockdown here in Athens :) Can't wait!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    SDA speakers are meant to be used in a home 2 channel music system with the SDA cable connected. The SDA technology would be wasted in a bar/restaurant setting. Take them home and buy some pro audio type speakers for your business.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chriono
    Options
    Hi F1!

I see your point, although I think they may do good for the use I'm intending them for.

I am attaching some pictures of the place as I bought it, so you can get an idea. It's not the bar I think you have in mind.

fr3yjdczj1wi.jpg
    83yav2jp2pai.jpg
    2t0pjton6bln.jpg
    rsphfsikf83u.jpg
    q5eyu9p4vu85.jpg

I found information on the interconnect cable, although I don't know how to search for the connector I need to build it in greek.

Also,, I found that many members use carver and adcom amps to power them. Do I need preamps with those? I think I would prefer a strong 70s receiver though.

Thanks a lot for your answers!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Nice view. You should get a parasound amp if you are set on using those speakers.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,460
    Options
    Man, what a cool place, and nice view.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    I need to go to Greece again ......
    Ikaria island looks nice .....

😊😊

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    chriono wrote: »
    Hi F1!
    It's not the bar I think you have in mind.

Pretty darn close though probably not with a cat...
    I think the SDA's were designed for the discriminating audiophile in a quiet environment driven by quality equipment for lifelike music reproduction. Yes they will work OK in your bar but you'd be better off with Polk Monitor 7's or 10's. Others that would work are Klipsch, JBL etc.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    Chirono,

Very nice place and exactly what I thought it would be. I still say they are not the right speakers for your business.

Can you post a picture of one speaker's front without the grill on and a close up of the binding post plate? That way we can tell you exactly what model you have and provide information about the SDA cable.

The earlier SDA speakers are 4 ohm nominal with lower dips and most vintage receivers will not be able to drive them properly.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chriono
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! Glad you like the place. If you find yourself in ikaria you 'll find me in Armenistis!

I am attaching the pictures F1. I think this is the first edition, with the blades IC.

I tested the speakers on a yamaha 70w AVR and they sound muffled. I will be testing them with a proamp because It may be the receivers fault.

51uymmcf1iym.jpg

vjdjo5l6yvmr.jpg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Customers will appreciate those classics over the mass-produced husk out there these days.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    What a great thread!

It's amazing how laid back the Polk Forum is, and the adventures that appear.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    It's always best to use the right tool for the job.

For what you are wanting to do I would suggest some bigass Cerwin-Vega speakers with 15" bass drivers. Power them with 2 Adcom 555s mono blocked. Even the people walking way down on the beach could enjoy them.

Take the Polks home and set them up properly in your house. That's what they were made for.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Chriono, very nice bar and location. In 1986, I spent 2 weeks backpacking the Greek islands. Didn't make it to Ikaria but was close. Started in Athens, ferry to Crete, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Patmos and then back to Athens. We carried tents, slept on the beaches and I spent many hours in bars just like yours. Had a really bad night on Crete drinking local Ouzo and Rakı!! The people and food were amazing! Don't be surprised if I show up next year!!

I remember the restrictions on electronics. Very heavily taxed and forbidden to bring into the country because of the black market. We had some electronic devices and many people offered to buy them from us. Your Polk's, if you found them in Greece, are from the early/mid 80's and would be rare because of the restrictions...and may have started with a US military person that was stationed there.

As other's have typed above, they are best in a home environment, but I think they would be a cool addition to your bar. Not for blasting, rather, for background music and an easy going Greek vibe. A place I'd like to hang out.

Yasou (Εις υγείαν) and I hope to see you in your bar someday!

John

Edit to add....they really aren't outdoor speakers. The cabinet is made from particle/pressed board and the humidity/salt air from being near the water might cause problems. Definitely, not a speaker to leave outdoors. You'd want to bring them in each night.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Those are nice speakers !...for home use :)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! Glad you like the place. If you find yourself in ikaria you 'll find me in Armenistis!

I am attaching the pictures F1. I think this is the first edition, with the blades IC.

I tested the speakers on a yamaha 70w AVR and they sound muffled. I will be testing them with a proamp because It may be the receivers fault.

51uymmcf1iym.jpg

vjdjo5l6yvmr.jpg

Ok, those are the second generation SDA 2 made from 1982 to 1985. They are 4 ohm nominal.

This is the cable you need, https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/woofers/polk-audio-1/polk-audio-interconnect-cable/

President of Club Polk

• chriono
    Options
    Hi Tennman!

Actually, before I got.these I went to listen to some CV AT-100 that where for sale for 350€, but I found the sound really flat and uninterested. They were underpowered by a Hi fi receiver though, could it be that? Do you think they are worth the price?

Thanks!
  • chriono
    Options
    Yasou Jaysee!

I would be really glad to see you at the place and the wine is on me!

Thank you so much for the info! That's what I am going for with these, background music at low volumes. I will have pro audio for party nights. It's an experiment that might fail but at least I got these awesome.speakers.

Cheers!

• chriono
    Options
    Hi F1!

Thank you!

Do you know what I should search for to make this on my own? Its kind of expensive and It will take a long time to get here..

Also, what cables would you suggest I connect these speakers to the power amp with?

Update: I think the speakers have some burnt out tweeters, hence the muffled sound.

Would you suggest I get the S2000s or their update? Do you know a cheaper source than ebay?

Thanks a lot guys!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    On those SDA one tweeter and one driver will not play without the interconnect cable in use. Most also disable the SDA tweeter because it can play distracting sounds with the interconnect connected.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi Tennman!

Actually, before I got.these I went to listen to some CV AT-100 that where for sale for 350€, but I found the sound really flat and uninterested. They were underpowered by a Hi fi receiver though, could it be that? Do you think they are worth the price?

Thanks!

I think of Cerwin-Vega as good party speakers and I thought they might be good for what you want to do. That is the reason I mentioned them. Some like them, some don't. If they didn't sound good to you, you should pass on them and find something else.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Hey @chriono! Super cool place, I definitely will stop by if I ever get to travel for work again!

I have not personally experienced SDAs, but they're a lot of folks here who can who can explain to you the unique approach they take to stereophonic reproduction. IN short, almost any other stereo speakers would work fine in your setting, but I think these will sound pretty strange in most places in the room. Hopefully others will explain why...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer