SDA SRS 2.3TL work

Who, or where can I get my 2.3TL boards rebuilt/upgraded? What is the price range for this work? Thanks for the help. I emailed someone offering this service on ebay, but I got no response.

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @westmassguy is your man.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    If you can solder, you can do it yourself. I did. (SDA 1Bs, SDA SRS 2)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Price range will depend on what brand caps and resistors you use. I'd recommend splurging on them as they're worth it.

In other words don't go as cheap as you can. You'll be disappointed in the outcome in cheap film caps.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Get a pair of Gimpods custom xo boards if available. Makes the work a lot easier. I went with sonicaps and mills resistors on my 2.3TLs. Figure you're going to have a few hundred bucks into them by the time youre done.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • about what does the higher end upgrade cost? or, what did you pay for your upgrade, or upgrade parts?
    I hoped I could have it done for around $500. I can add some to that if really necessary. I was told the Gimp boards were nice to have but not required. I forget who told me that. What are your thoughts.
    Thanks for the help.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited November 2020
    Sure the boards are not "required" but why make it so much harder on yourself or the person doing the recap? They are larger for the larger caps and laid out beautifully. As far as cost reach out to @westmassguy I'm sure he has several tiers or price points. Mine cost well over 600.00 for my 2.3tl's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    $500 would probably cover labor. You're probably looking at $1,000 to $2,000 depending on how good you want them to sound. I say don't go cheap but that's just me. We love helping people spend money!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited November 2020
    I hoped I could have it done for around $500. I can add some to that if really necessary.
    ANY film caps are going to be better than the ancient electrolytic caps that are in there now. Even fresh electrolytics will be better than the originals that are now long beyond their service live expectancy. Yes, you can pay a LOT more for "better" parts. I'm just saying that even the inexpensive stuff is going to be an improvement compared to what you have now.

My 1Bs got PartsExpress "Dayton" film caps except for the big SDA circuit; I used ERSE film caps there. Neither brand is well-loved on this board, but they're so much better than the OEM caps that it's astounding. Mills resistors, original circuit boards, original inductors except for the two in the SDA circuit. I haven't thought about price in years, and I did this a long time ago. I suppose I've got ~$150 in the whole works, with me doing all the work.

My SRS 2 pin/blade speakers are partly-finished, and have been since 2016. Parts have been bought: capacitors, inductors, resistors, and Gimpod circuit boards. I suppose $350, with me--someday--doing the actual work. Add another $150-ish for the parts to build a Dreadnought.

Mind you, I've been soldering wires since high school. I started with vehicle wiring--trailer harnesses, car audio, basic wire repairs. I'm not specially-trained in electronics; and I don't do much electronics work--just my own crap, when it breaks or needs to be upgraded.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Just buy the gimpod boards and practice soldering on the old board.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    I rebuilt the X-overs on my 2.3tl’s on the original Polk boards using all sonicaps & mills resistors. Later I bought Gimpod’s boards and moved it all there, and upgraded the oem inductors to jantzen. The original boards work, but G’s appear to be higher quality.
    FYI other mods that raise these to another level are replacing the tweeters with RD-0198’s, and building a Dreadnought.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    about what does the higher end upgrade cost? or, what did you pay for your upgrade, or upgrade parts?
    I hoped I could have it done for around $500. I can add some to that if really necessary. I was told the Gimp boards were nice to have but not required. I forget who told me that. What are your thoughts.
    Thanks for the help.

The $ you put into upgrading the XOs will get you a set of speakers that sound far superior than any pair of speakers you could buy for that same $ (actually a lot more). If its a stretch to do the XOs with upgraded caps right now, i would wait until its doable, do it once and be done with it rather than go cheap on them and then have to do them again.

When I did my first pair of SDA XO's I had no concept of what my return on investment would be and that definitely caused hesitation on my part investing in them. I was so beyond blown away by the XO upgrades on my first SDAs (1C's) that I immediately dropped the coin on XO upgrades as soon as i got my 2.3TLs.

Its been several years since doing the upgrades so i dont recall exact cost. Id say estimate between upgraded tweeters, XO's, Dynamatted driver baskets, upgraded binding posts and the dreadnaught, i easily have $1,300 in upgrades into them. At some point i will upgrade the SDA inductors and call them done.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the help and info guys. I will upgrade them as much as I can afford. I hope the Mills and sonic caps will be doable for me. I have the tweets upgraded already. I am still waiting for an estimate to see what I can do. I do want them to be better than new for sure.