CS400i Crossover refresh worth the effort?

Options
Now that the 2.3tl crossovers are done and settling in I am left wondering if it would be worth while to dig in to the CS400i I am using with them. Along those lines I opened them this afternoon to check capacitor values. I didn't see a schematic for the 400i in the thread pinned at the top of this section so I figured a little investigation would be my best bet.

The CS400 schematic shows:
12uf 5% 100v
34uf 5% 50v
200 uf 5% 50v

My CS400i:
9uf 5% 100v
34uf 5% 50v
200uf 5% 50v

I would be looking to replace with the same values I discovered on my crossover board.

Would I be best served by replacing the 34 and 200uf caps stand up type (radial?) with the same type or do only the values matter?
bdb5wxi2c625.jpg
zqlnh0oidrjw.jpg
bwtizdsysndn.jpg
SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    I would go all film. But that will be a issue with space. You'll have to be creative. As far as if it's worth it or not will be up to you. Do you like the speaker? Do you like the way it sounds? I've never upgraded the caps in a speaker and not been pleased with the results.

I think the CS400I is a good center and worthy of an upgrade.

By the way.... do you know why the Navy has Marines on thier ships???
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I would go all film. But that will be a issue with space. You'll have to be creative. As far as if it's worth it or not will be up to you. Do you like the speaker? Do you like the way it sounds? I've never upgraded the caps in a speaker and not been pleased with the results.

I think the CS400I is a good center and worthy of an upgrade.
    Sounds about right to me. I think space and cost are going to be the limiting issues. Cost less so since this only involves one speaker. I wonder if the board could be mounted on the back using both speaker inputs. I will have to look at the schematic again to see if both 6.5" drivers are attached to the board separately....
    CH46E wrote: »
    By the way.... do you know why the Navy has Marines on thier ships???
    Oh boy, this aught to be a dozy.

No, I don't know why the Navy has Marines on their ships.

Throughout my 3 tours on gators I have heard many variations of this, but maybe not the exact reason you have. Nothin but love for my green brothers and sisters out there.
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Options
    Looks like an external crossover could be done using one binding post for the tweeter and the other for the mid drivers, but I would have to mount C3 (200uf) across the input for one of the drivers?
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    Now that the 2.3tl crossovers are done and settling in I am left wondering if it would be worth while to dig in to the CS400i I am using with them.

It depends on how long you plan to keep it as a center and how much you like it. I had a CS400 and it is a good center channel. I do feel that the LSiM706 is a better match for 2.3TLs and has more natural sounding vocals. If you think an upgrade might be in your future at some point, I would recommend putting the $ towards a speaker upgrade rather than an XO upgrade.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050