I'm An Idiot (PS Audio Cables)

Options
phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited February 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
So I got the PS Audio xStreme Statement cables today. My first impression was holy $hitballs batman these things are HUGE. Nearly 2" thick and heavy as hell. And guess what, they're very STIFF, even the terminated ends that go to the speakers and amp.

They're also very pretty....

So, I'm hooking them up... or trying to. I had to use the spades on the amp side because there was no way they would fit within my component rack with the nanners. No biggie, tighten down the right channel, and not thinking much of it... yeah I had some music playing. Gotta have music playing all the time.. right?

Next, working on the left channel... move... twist a little... adjust the right cable a little just to make a little room then what happens? Well, the right channel just stops playing. Hrmm. $H1T. I did it, didn't I? I did. I blew the right channel of my Rotel Rb-990.

!@#$%

At least for the night I still have my RSX-1056. I guess this is the perfect time to go get that RB-1080 I've been wanting.

I have to admit the cables sound great. The nanners didn't give me any problems going into my reciever either. They do what I was hoping they would do actually. From the reviews I've read they tend to pick up some of the slack where I think my system is lacking, and they do. But sheesh they're like trying to put a 30lb python behind your rack/stand.

Of course I'm running them on my reciever now, so I cut out one amp and a pair of monster interconnects... so maybe that's why I think it sounds good. *shrug*

This is coming from a moderate cable sceptic. I've got a set of Cobalt speaker cables and I plan to order some of Franks silver resolution bi-wires soon. I'm gonna finally spend some time forming an experienced opinion on the great cable debate.

More shootouts and opinions will be coming - I'm just pissed about my amp right now!

FOR SALE: 1 PAIR PS AUDIO XSTREME STATEMENT BI-WIRES BARELY USED - $350!

:)
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I'm surprised that Rotel doesn't fuse their output!

Sorry about the bad luck.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Pop the top, there should be two fuses per channel, bet you blew them both on the right side.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuz
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Pop the top, there should be two fuses per channel, bet you blew them both on the right side.

Ya know I figured that if there were fuses that they're be accesible from the outside. I was wrong.

Now the question is, can I pull one fuse from the left and use it on the right side for the night?

Thanks for the info. I guess I don't have to get the 1080 anymore. DAMN. ;)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2005
    Options
    You need all the fuses in place, a pair is for the power trannies, the other protects the output transistors.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks guys. I'll snag some fuses tomorrow, and maybe an RDV-1050. :)
  • phuz
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero
    Odds are you will want to purchase a new bias for the transistors. Often times those too fall victim. That should only set you back a few bucks.

Oh ok. What, what?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Try the fuses first, then you'll know where you stand. BTW, Rotel has great service if you need it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuz
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Try the fuses first, then you'll know where you stand. BTW, Rotel has great service if you need it.

The fuses are the first thing on my to do list tomorrow.

Like Polk, my experiences with Rotel have always been good and that's one of the many reasons I like em. I was just kidding about the 1080 (mostly). heheh I'll get this amp fixed up soon.

Thanks everyone.