Blu Ray Player Recommendation?

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,050
My Oppo BDP-83SE has finally worn out and I am looking for recommendations on a good replacement in the $500 or under range.
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Top end of your range but for the price, hard to really beat the Sony UBP-X1100ES
    Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Home Theater Streaming Blu-ray Player with HDR https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RN2RM5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WWCLFbJQRY066

Only complaints about the Sony UHD BD players is a manual process to turn Dolby Vision on and off. And a lack of streaming apps. There are some common ones but not as many as there could be.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Or go with this one if it’s just for movies and save some coin for something else:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X700-Ultra-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B078HXF9H2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sony+ubp-x700&qid=1603718198&sprefix=sony+ubp&sr=8-3

I have one in the game room and it’s been great, purely a BD player, no music or streaming. I also have the Sony UBP-x1000es in the living room and it’s been solid but rarely gets used. I got one on eBay for $80 shipped from a pawn shop...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dpowell
    Thanks all. I have a separate Sony C333ES for 2 channel listening so this is purely for DVD/BD playback. The only differences i seem to be able to find between the 1100ES and 800M2 are output options on the back, longer warranty and front display but nothing to do with upgraded internals. ES sure doesnt mean what it did in the 80's/90's.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    ES sure doesnt mean what it did in the 80's/90's.
    100%agree

They're some decent deals on older pioneer elite players if you're not opposed to used.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2020
    dpowell wrote: »
    ES sure doesnt mean what it did in the 80's/90's.
    ES gear from the past in home & car audio was just awesome!

Anyway, I plan to pick up a UBP-X800M2 myself once I replace my aging 1080p 70" Sharp TV with a 4K Sony XBR. I stopped watching Blu-Rays awhile back but will pick up some in 4K in due time.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ZLTFUL
    dpowell wrote: »
    Thanks all. I have a separate Sony C333ES for 2 channel listening so this is purely for DVD/BD playback. The only differences i seem to be able to find between the 1100ES and 800M2 are output options on the back, longer warranty and front display but nothing to do with upgraded internals. ES sure doesnt mean what it did in the 80's/90's.

The build quality on the 800 and 1100 are leaps and bounds better than the 700. But you are right, outside of the output stage for audio, the 800 and 1100 aren't all that different.
    The warranty is a selling point for me as I have had to use the warranty on TVs and other brand BDPs in the past.

I have the first gen of the 800 and kept it when I got my Panasonic 420 for the theater. And the *only* reason I don't use it in the theater is because the Panasonic's HDR optimizer is essential for the theater when it comes to Disney titles in 4K.

For $248 on Amazon, unless you *need* the HDR optimizer of the Panasonic, the 800M2 is a danged good product too.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • dpowell
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The warranty is a selling point for me as I have had to use the warranty on TVs and other brand BDPs in the past.

Good point. The 3 year warranty is nice but at double the cost, i can buy a second 800M2 player as a spare. :smiley:
  • ZLTFUL
    Touche.

The 800M2 is a great player (based on my experience with the original 800) and is less than the Panasonic DP-UB420 (if you can even find it in stock anywhere).
    https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-Blu-ray-Log-Gamma-Playback-Streaming/dp/B07YD3PXQP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Panasonic+420&qid=1603741262&s=electronics&sr=1-1

The Panasonic is MUCH cheaper build quality-wise but has that darned HDR optimizer that makes a huge difference for me.

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    If you scour the net , that Sony UBP-x700 is THE one to get .....
    I believe it is one of the few Sony’s that WILL do dolbyvision automatically...

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    My choice would be the Panasonic UB820. It's at the top end of your budget but well worth it in my opinion. I have had nothing but great things to say about mine and the picture quality is out of this world. If your not already doing 4K once you do go 4K the 820 also has all kinds of HDR features to fine tune the picture quality. Here is a link, check it out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_133UB820K/Panasonic-DP-UB820.html?tp=171
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • ZLTFUL
    Grimster74 wrote: »
    My choice would be the Panasonic UB820. It's at the top end of your budget but well worth it in my opinion. I have had nothing but great things to say about mine and the picture quality is out of this world. If your not already doing 4K once you do go 4K the 820 also has all kinds of HDR features to fine tune the picture quality. Here is a link, check it out.

I completely agree with this. The HDR optimizer on all 3 of the Panasonics (420, 820 and 9000) is awesome for HDR titles that are not already in good shape (Disney owned properties are notoriously bad...new Star Wars, Marvel, etc).

My only real complaints about the 420 and the 820 is the build "feel" and a lack of IP control on all 3 models. IP control only becomes a challenge if your equipment isn't in a rack within your line of sight (mine is in a storage room across the hall from the theater). But an IR blaster easily solves that minor foible.

• dpowell
    My only real complaints about the 420 and the 820 is the build "feel" and a lack of IP control on all 3 models. IP control only becomes a challenge if your equipment isn't in a rack within your line of sight (mine is in a storage room across the hall from the theater). But an IR blaster easily solves that minor foible.

When you mention IP control are you referencing control via a smart phone app?
  • ZLTFUL
    Correct. I integrate the projector, sources, pre/pro, lighting, etc into a single iPad app for simplicity of control. A lot of devices use IP control over LAN but it is still surprising to find devices out there aimed at folks like “me” with these features lacking as it is a tiny expense in implementing in the grand scheme of things.

• rooftop59

I get want y’all are saying about these Panasonics and that’s a reasonable argument to get one, but man that 820 sure looks like a plasticy piece of crap for $500 bucks! Don’t get me wrong, my sonys are the same way, but I paid about $200 for both on eBay, so if one breaks in a year I won’t stress about it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • ZLTFUL
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I get want y’all are saying about these Panasonics and that’s a reasonable argument to get one, but man that 820 sure looks like a plasticy piece of crap for $500 bucks! Don’t get me wrong, my sonys are the same way, but I paid about $200 for both on eBay, so if one breaks in a year I won’t stress about it...

That's my biggest problem with the Panasonics. For similar price points, Sony gives you the 800M2 and the 1100ES respectively in metal chassis. I get that plastic is cheaper to source and manufacture but Sony is turning a good enough profit on these pieces at slightly lower prices. Hard to believe Panasonic can't do the same...although, with their 2.1 HDMI chip debacle just getting ramped up, they may have other things on their minds. Heh.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 wrote: »

That's my biggest problem with the Panasonics. For similar price points, Sony gives you the 800M2 and the 1100ES respectively in metal chassis. I get that plastic is cheaper to source and manufacture but Sony is turning a good enough profit on these pieces at slightly lower prices. Hard to believe Panasonic can't do the same...although, with their 2.1 HDMI chip debacle just getting ramped up, they may have other things on their minds. Heh.

Yes that's true, my 700 is plastic but the 1000 is more substantial even though its still not what I would call a reference or ES grade enclosure. I will say that i bought mine from a pawn shop on ebay, and they literally put it in a box that it barely fit in with no padding at all, and it wasn't damaged and works perfectly. So, it does appear to have solid build quality!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Build quality hasn't been a priority for most Panasonic DVD and Blu Ray players over the last 20 years. Their latest UB9000 surprised me though. Seemed like they jumped into the vacant Oppo market with that one.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    gyosa wrote: »
    If you scour the net , that Sony UBP-x700 is THE one to get .....
    I believe it is one of the few Sony’s that WILL do dolbyvision automatically...

Bk

https://slickdeals.net/f/14472053-sony-ubp-x700-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-150-free-shipping?src=frontpage
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dpowell
    That's a nice deal. I sure wish they didnt make them look so cheap and low end. I'm getting by with a basic spare samsung i have on hand and it looks so lame sitting in the same rack with a sunfire cinema grande and Pioneer elite receiver.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Build quality hasn't been a priority for most Panasonic DVD and Blu Ray players over the last 20 years. Their latest UB9000 surprised me though. Seemed like they jumped into the vacant Oppo market with that one.

Almost jumped on this player but I had no need for 2-channel listening in my theater room so I saved myself $500. When I bought my 820, the 420 hadn't been released just yet or I would have gone that route.

Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • ZLTFUL
    Was just headed hear to post that same information.

I may be picking up a second 420 just to have around.

• pitdogg2
    Dang they sure have gotten a lot cheaper. BB doesn't carry much in movies much here anymore either.
  • dpowell
    I wish i could stream more but the max internet I can get at my place is 6 mbps and i get charged data overages. For now I have to keep spinning discs. I've found redbox to be a good source for picking up recent releases. If i wait long enough, i can purchase almost anything for $3.99 and the discs have always been in great shape. Granted its usually just the movie with no extras and a redbox case.
  • ZLTFUL
    The problem with streaming 4K content outside of the normal bandwidth issues is that it is compressed down to be transported and when it is uncompressed, it usually has dropped way too much quality in both audio and video.

The visual differences between the same movie streamed at 4K and a physical 4K disc are staggering. Not to mention how much the HDR is compressed or even removed to make it easier to shove through the pipe.

But that is a rant for a different day/thread. Long live physical media!

• pitdogg2
    Yea Ryan buy 4k get mp3 quality
  • dpowell
    edited October 2020
    Rick88 wrote: »
    ^^ While I'm not knowledgeable on the topic of streaming, I suspected this.

Ditto. I have an Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver connected to the X1 Pre that i use for streaming FLAC files from my phone when Im not in serious listening mode. Even with the better internals of the Audioengine, my daughter and I can both hear the difference between the original CD and the Bluetooth stream in an A/B comparison. Im sure its the same for any online streaming.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    I’ve had the UBD-X800 from 2017. It’s worked flawless. I really don’t see any need to upgrade. The 4K picture is awesome. It’s quiet and does what’s it’s supposed to, for me, pass the video and audio signal. I agree with Zitful. 4K streaming is good. However, it does not match the video and sound capabilities of physical media. At least to what I’ve seen. Every new release I find a must, I buy the physical media. Period. I’m sure the Panasonics are nice too.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • dpowell
    Right now B&H has the Panasonic 420 for $150 and the 820 for $350. Looks like the only difference between the 2 is Dolby Vision Is there a reaon to pay an extra $200 more to get the Dolby Vision capability if i use a projector and dont habe that capability?
  • How does the Xbox S compare to the players listed above? Will I see an improvement with a Panasonic 420, or a Sony X700? Or it will be kind of the same, and I would need to invest much more than $150?
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    French_guy wrote: »
    How does the Xbox S compare to the players listed above? Will I see an improvement with a Panasonic 420, or a Sony X700? Or it will be kind of the same, and I would need to invest much more than $150?

Good luck on that question. It would be better to buy the Xbox, and return it after the experiment.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.