HDMI 2.1 "Bug" Marantz Denon & Yamaha

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
edited October 2020 in Electronics
Due to a hardware issue stemming from a Panasonic chip all of Sound United and Yamahas new HDMI 2.1 AVRs cannot do 4K@120Hz or 8K@60Hz HDR10 with certain devices. You know, nearly the entire reason to upgrade to this year's models. This is not an issue that can be remedied with a firmware update either. Good thing I just frikken bought one.

Word is Sound United is going to speak on the matter soon.

Possible recall? Either way this is a pretty big boo-boo.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.heise.de/news/Bug-in-HDMI-2-1-Chips-AV-Receiver-Next-Gen-Konsole-und-Grafikkarten-betroffen-4935888.html&usg=ALkJrhh8bh1YI7SyP_gXywTiQqbmU8_AVQ
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ouch
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Stuff like this is why I am not an early adopter. Well, that and Marantz hasn't yet released the AV8806 specs yet...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    edited October 2020
    This explains why the HDMI upgrade for the 8805 is delayed yet again.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Sounds like a recall and stop sale order may be needed until a solution is determined. It looks to me like it is speculation that a firmware flash would not address the issues given the reports of functional issues with video processing are very new.

In the mean time, the previous 4K models are being sold at a nice discount. 😀
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2020
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Stuff like this is why I am not an early adopter. Well, that and Marantz hasn't yet released the AV8806 specs yet...

Agree...I’m still super pleased with my 1080p DLP projector. For me, the slightly less than perfect picture adds some kind of character to the experience.

Watched the Peanut Butter Falcon last night and didn’t think one time that I enjoyed the movie any less because we don’t have 4K in the theater. Great movie btw.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2020
    Audioholics got a Response from Sound United in short: Sound United will offer a permanent solution at a later date. They are currently investigating the issue. Workarounds are: set source to 4k60 or connect directly to the TV.

• Emlyn
    I now wouldn't recommend anyone purchase any of the new models until the solution becomes clear.
  • Nightfall
    Audioholics put up an actual article today.

https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

• Nightfall
    https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/update-denon-and-marantz-av-receivers-play-4k-120hz-after-all

Small update. 4K120 still works fine on PS5, works on Nvidia 30xx cards as long as you keep the max bandwidth required to 40gbps or less (HDMI 2.1 full spec is 48gbps), Xbox is still broke but progressing nicely whatever that means.
    There is still an issue, Sound United confirms, with passing 4K at 120Hz from the Xbox Series X console through the latest Denon and Marantz receivers. The company tells us, though, that attempts to find a solution for Series X owners are 'progressing nicely', and promises to share further developments on this when it can.

• Emlyn
    edited December 2020
    Cool. Sounds like the issue was overblown, except for owners of the latest XBox. And even with that there is a workaround. Sound United/Denon/Marantz video from the article showing how to make the feature work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqMLjXtLyY&feature=emb_logo