Billet Midwoofer Magnet Repair Kit

xschop
xschop Posts: 4,636
edited September 2020 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Finishing up these sets this week on CNC.
I will only make 8 sets of these and no
more. All 6061-T6 alloy magnet jig and locating/removal tool with stainless set screws included.
$112 shipped USPS PRIORITY Insured.
US-48 Only
Just PM

z60w8gf2yv4i.jpg

80ktv8cru6kx.jpg

zkfg9laazvlo.jpg
Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
Post edited by xschop on

Comments

• It could serve as a piece of art too.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    6 available.

Thanks BlueBird, I'll take that as a compliment.

Disclaimer...
    100% Made in America
  • They look pretty snazzy!! Any left??
  • xschop
    I have 5 sets unspoken for.
    I'll be sending a set out to member lawdogg, as he helps out the "not so mechanically inclined" members here.
  • Xschop how do I order a set? Is there a website?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    milesaway wrote: »
    Xschop how do I order a set? Is there a website?

Send him a PM
  • Got your point Pitdogg2 , had to laugh at the stupidity on my part for that post!! Wanted to get the process for ordering and payment to Xschop...
  • xschop
    Just PM, I take paypal or USPS money order.

These will be even snazzier (sic), as I have a knurling tool for the dowel handle area that I'm adding to the design....
    I'll ship first orders this Thurs or Friday...

6waukurbnz0m.jpg

• xschop
    edited October 2020

yo4nryfvfrni.jpg
    7q1stu4e2472.jpeg
  • Nice!!, Knurl job really sets it off...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice machining! Ditto on the knurling! Quality stuff @xschop !

I do have a question about the groove on the ID of the large ring. How did you do the (looks like a axial jog) in the otherwise radial groove? What cutter did you use? Setup?

Thank you!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    verb wrote: »
    Nice machining! Ditto on the knurling! Quality stuff @xschop !

I do have a question about the groove on the ID of the large ring. How did you do the (looks like a axial jog) in the otherwise radial groove? What cutter did you use? Setup?

Thank you!

That was the original prototype I sent out to a member who had multiple frozen magnets. I drilled three spots at 120 degrees to allow magnet to pole-piece gluing after setting magnet. After doing the reset a couple times myself, I found it wasn't necessary as the magnet holds the pole- piece together with plenty of force to allow set screw removal without re-shifting magnet.
    I don't believe I posted about it, but the inner lip utilizes the accuracy of the blanch-ground magnets for all centering, just make sure your magnet and pole-piece are clean before assembly.

If you ordered a set in last couple weeks I am shipping this Wed. I only have 4 sets left and I assure you, I won't be making more. I busted my bandsaw on these large diameter billets and Amazon puts the blades as a non-essential item lol.

Final lathe CNC peak....

jltj25ud3csr.jpg
    Post edited by xschop on
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    edited October 2020
    That 1st old geezer was me ... Like...WTF ???
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    That's awesome @xschop ! Thanks for the insight! I admire folks like you that actually build things! With great accuracy and quality too. Well done sir!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • xschop
    Thanks Verb, I needed this moons ago myself as I enjoy rebuilding the vintage Polks. I got alot of insight and feedback/measurements from knowledgable members here to help make it happen. I'll be completely dismantling and phase-plugging (with another mod in the works) another set of MWs soon and this will be an invaluable tool.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    How does this set up differ from the jig made from PVC that was posted on Audiokarma years ago? I built that PVC jig and have realigned a few Polk drivers over the years.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    halo71 wrote: »
    How does this set up differ from the jig made from PVC that was posted on Audiokarma years ago? I built that PVC jig and have realigned a few Polk drivers over the years.

Accuracy.
    Longevity.
    Quality.

I have not posted about it, but I designed them to use longer head-clearanced setscrews to re-set all Polk tweeter top plate and magnets as well (given the magnets are no more that 0.60" thick as every one Ive measured are)

uv6ispuopql6.jpg

• xschop
    edited October 2020
    I purposefully broke the top plate of this SL2000 magnet to test set screw thread clearancing and plate re-setting...

i0sqtipqa34h.jpg

wuem6mgdmmhd.jpg

• xschop
    Took less than 2 minutes and better circumferal accuracy than when it left the factory. A true 0.0275" gap all around....

rvtjbd0dq1b6.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    What was the annular gap error or concentricity error from the factory? How hard was it to break the glue and how did you do it? What do you think they use for adhesive.....Loctite or the like? Enquiring minds want to know! Great stuff you're doing for extending the lifespan of the vintage equipment out there!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Before I broke the top plate, measuring by feeler gauge it was off 0.006" either side.
    Simply screw down factory screws going clockwise and the plate will pop right off.
    I think these are held by old Loctite.
    I won't need to break top plate for the vented pole-piece mod, but will need to when I do some Eddy mods.
    Post edited by xschop on
  • Xschop,
    Got home today, jig was in my drop box...Nice lathe job on it!!...Going to start working on fixing a pair this week...Can’t thank you enough!!!
  • xschop
    I have another spare tool kit for sale which now includes the MW6500 pole-piece removal seat/insert made from solid brass.

$120 shipped Priority US-48. Just PM

up4jy5l3nv83.jpg

• xschop
    Sold
  • xschop
    Repost for Babb...

Step 1.
    Set the woofer cone down on a smooth, perfectly flat surface and take a picture of it directly above.

Step 2.
    If the pole-piece plate perimeter and magnet perimeter look evenly concentric to each other, then you are in luck as the culprit is the magnet-to-baseplate has shifted and you don't have to pull the magnet/pole-piece apart from baseplate nor use the dowel to recenter them.

Step 3.
    Make sure magnet perimeter is perfectly clean near pole-piece perimeter. This is where the inner jig step/lip rests and automatically aligns all set screws.

Step 4.
    Retract all Set screws until the ID of the jig has none protruding on the inside.

Step 5
    Set the inner step/lip on the magnet top perimeter, then evenly lock the baseplate down with the baseplate set screws. Tighten only hand tight .

Step 6

Position pole-piece set screws on the pole-piece perimeter loosely.

Step 7

Flip the jig and woofer over. Adjust pole-piece perimeter set screws, using a pen-light to see into dust cap, viewing the pole piece/voice coil ID gap. Then adjust incrementally 1/8 -1/4 turns until the woofer if free by lightly pushing on the cone. You can also play audio through woofer AT LOW VOLUME until you hear it free up.

Step 8

Once reset, gently unscrew all base plate setcrews fully, without any showing in the jig ID. Then carefully, ONLY loosen the pole-piece set screws and carefully lift the woofer out of jig. Flip it back over and start your glue process on the magnet perimeters.

Note*

I've had very good results with Superglue Gel as it is quick and easy and holds mega strong. You only need a thin line of it and it wicks into crevices.
  • Gardenstater
    Nicely done! Your speakers are about 14 mos. younger than mine. Did you happen to check the clearance of the O.D. of the voice coil to the framepiece? My 1979's eventually rubbed there and I haven't been able to align them yet. Will probably have to disassemble further but it will be a fun experiment. We think that the early MW6500s had issues with the clearances being too tight there and it will be interesting to find out if they made adjustments to give it more clearance at any time.

Enjoy the mod train you are just beginning the ride on!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • bbabb
    bbabb Posts: 12
    I did not measure exactly what that clearance is but it's definitely tight. How do you date them? Is that like 11/2(?)/80?
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 2022
    It's never easy but you get better at reading their stampings with time. I think this guy was on some powerful jitter juice with the double strikes. :D Looks like 11/25/80 yes.

Were your voice coils nicely centered in the framepiece? I think my spiders got damaged by my overzealous playing when I was young or they didn't center them up and align them right. The voice coils are a bit cocked. Been replaced with some 1982 black basket 6500s so all is well.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS