Can non-audiophiles really not tell the difference? I read this in Playboy

Can non-audiophiles really not tell the difference?

Yes, a true non-audiophile can not tell the difference between the way an iTunes AAC file sounds versus a lossless FLAC file.

This is what non-audiophiles believe, that nothing makes a difference in sound quality.

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,544
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Can non-audiophiles really not tell the difference?

Yes, a true non-audiophile can not tell the difference between the way an iTunes AAC file sounds versus a lossless FLAC file.

This is what non-audiophiles believe, that nothing makes a difference in sound quality.

Honestly, it depends on the system
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,147
    Totally agree. I've seen loads of these "tests" where the listeners sampled 30 second clips of poor recorded top 40 tracks, listening over ear buds or beats plugged into a phone.

With proper gear I don't think everyone can tell the difference, but I think a large percentage of "non-audiophiles" could pretty quickly tell a difference. Especially on excellent recordings.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    edited October 2020
    lol, don't take the thread title or content too seriously guys, I just made it all up.

Just having some fun mirroring Warren's thread title/content :p

m4epvx6gvfj0.png
    qyexzaixzlkt.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    Does Playboy even exist any more? Not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between a boom box and an audiophile system while looking at the Christmas issue...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • displayname
    I didn't even open that other thread when I saw Quara in the title. So I guess that gives away the click bait that got me here, lol
    Discogs
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    I don't know much about it. Is there something not good about Quora?
    I disabled signatures.
  • displayname
    msg wrote: »
    I don't know much about it. Is there something not good about Quora?
    It's like yahoo answers if you've ever come across that site. I've always found the quality of the content to be very low, but that's just my experience. Obviously some people are into because it's a pretty popular site.
    Discogs
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Ah, I see.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    I go to Penthouse myself for all my hi fi reading material....
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,460
    hahahaha,

My son and his friends were jamming some tunes on my main system. I was like it sounds like junk. My son was playing from his phone. I put the disc in of the same thing they were listening to. All of the kids got an eye opening.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music